.Mac update?

Convert

Tech
Anyoen reckon there's gonna be an update for .Mac? As in more features? because the current price is a lil too much for whats being given I reckon...

A lot of people think that $100/year is too much for .Mac, but that's just because Apple doesn't advertise the slew of services you really get out of the package.

1) 100MB shared WebDAV space
2) Email with WebMail access
3) 100MB shared web server space
4) Virex virus protection with monthly updates
5) Online synced address book
6) 100MB shared backup space via BackUp program (which is a breeze to use)
7) iCal sharing
8) One of the easiest on-line backup solutions available
9) Member benefits, such as free games/software (VersionTracker Pro) and heavy discounts on other software. Plus, you get free stuff like sound loops and effects (over 1.5GB!) to play with in GarageBand and SoundTrack

Most people look at .Mac and see only email and WebDAV, but it goes far beyond that. What other features would you like included in .Mac that aren't already there?

Rumors had .mac getting a revamp sometime before the end of the year. And don't forget that .Mac Sync will be a large part of Tiger.

MacOSX.com packages looking very, very tempting. Can you provide a link to a sample file (10 MB or more preferrably) for us to check out download speeds from a macosx.com personal webpage? .Mac download speeds are very nice.

On the speed issue, here's my results (DSL 3mbps down / 768K up):

.Mac
  • 12 KB/sec avg (upload)
  • 30 KB/sec avg (download)

MacOSX.com
  • 100 KB/sec avg (upload)
  • 260 KB/sec avg (download)

That 9.4mb file BobW posted took 28 seconds.

Bob's file... about 6-8 seconds to download... around 1128 KB/sec. Don't ask me how fast my connection is, I think it is around 12 MB... well, at least that. :) Wish I had that speed at home.

Wow, well, I tried dl'ing the same file from my iDisk & from bobw's link and macosx.com was definitely faster (27s instead of about 115s). Hope it stays that way as subscriber base grows. I think I may have been converted. IMAP & POP e-mail, lots and lots of e-mail space and ftp space, costs much less than .Mac account....hmmmm...hmmmmm...I think when I wake up tomorrow I'll have to convert myself on over. Good thing I always used aliases instead of my mac.com e-mail address to give to people. :)

Thanks for the quick replies and info.

I'm think I'm in the minority, but I really like .Mac. Truth is, I only use it for iSync-ing my Contacts and Calendars, but it's worth it for the convenience. Sure, there are other free options I gather to do the same, but none are as painless as just giong thru .Mac.

Occasionally, when I need to post a video for client review and a given server is full, I'll throw it up on .Mac. Handy.

Originally, the FreePlay music was only on .Mac, not it's provided with FCP. As it turns out, FreePlay is not and never was "free". Apple inaccurately presented it as license-free. Turns out they have a very ingenius licensing model as well as some built-in audio watermarking.

I never bothered with Virex, cuz really, what's the point? As soon as an OS X virus hits, it'll be all over these threads and I'll deal with it then. Until then, it's a waste of time and computer resources.

Other really cool things that I never use include being able to post an iPhoto gallery with one click. I mean, that is just plain cool, fun and butt-simple. I should make use of that some time.

The email is useless to me. The last thing I need is another email account. I have two accounts under my business domain and, frankly, that's one too many. I should never have set up the second. Pointless.

I'd say for a lot of people, .Mac is mostly fluff, but for some of us, it's really a nice value and very useful.

What's this? Huh, Skywalker Sounds. Free sounds? Cool! DL-ing now. Always nice to add to the library.

Well, I must have the slowest cable connection on the US East coast because it regularly (over two days at vary times) took me close to 50 seconds to download the file Bob put up and I only live a couple hundred miles from Bob :(

Satcomer said:
Well, I must have the slowest cable connection on the US East coast because it regularly (over two days at vary times) took me close to 50 seconds to download the file Bob put up and I only live a couple hundred miles from Bob :(

What about how fast it is for you compared to the speed of an iDisk file? Being a recent convert from .Mac to macosx, (with a .Mac account that will expire in less than a month), Here are links to the same file from my iDisk and from my macosx web space:

http://homepage.mac.com/jeb1138/.Public/imac.pdf
http://incredible.macosx.com/imac.pdf

Which one is faster, and by how much?

mindbend, from what you've said, you basically use .Mac only for iSyncing Contacts & Calendars (freeplay music is available through their website, e-mail you don't use, Virex you don't use, and web space is 10-20 times cheaper through macosx.com) and it is worth $100/year to you? For contacts & calendars? You must have a lot of cash to burn...???

I'm not trying to just promote macosx.com (I'm sure there must be other somewhat similar offers out there somewhere) but more I'm just saying that .Mac seems wayyyy over-priced for what and how much it offers these days, doncha think?

On another topic -- e-mail isn't important to you, but for those of us who need a good e-mail account, .Mac seems like it could be a good solution. EXCEPT for the fact that you can get 1 GB of free e-mail space from gmail.com (with very non-intrusive advertising albeit). And only 10 MB from a paid subscription to .Mac? I mean, sure, .Mac has some really great other features, but oughtn't the e-mail portion of their paid service be able to do a little better than 10 MB? Paid hotmail accounts ($20/year?) give you advertisement-free e-mail with 2 GB of storage now.

jeb1138 said:
...how fast it is for you compared to the speed of an iDisk file?...Here are links to the same file from my iDisk and from my macosx web space:

When I tried it off your links I got it in 24sec from MacOSX.com, 85sec from .Mac (much faster than usual). My problem has always been the upload speeds to .Mac...those are ridiculously low for some reason.

Back