Macavenger... your FTP

I'm so addicted to this OS... I just can't wait till Saturday, I've got to have it now!

Thanks, if there's anything I can do in return, let me know.

I installed the 10.1 update on my Cube that I downloaded from macavenger. It took all of 15 minutes ( the install not download ). Make sure you select customize so you don't install all of the other languages you don't need. So far I am impressed. Burned my first CD from the Desktop. Finder window resize is much faster. App launch, especially relaunch is great!

MacAvenger you are awesome! Got it perfectly, both Office X and 10.1 worked great.

I was even able to avoid burning a CD (since I'll get one free later anyway) by copying the mount to another partition and booting from there! (took a little tweaking in Terminal to get that to work)

Download speeds were incredible! I got 200+ kbytes/s for Office X!!! Later got speeds of around 90kbytes/s too.

Thanks a million, you are da man!

i got office and 10.1 , d/l with my cable connection got a good 185 - 200k , burned 10.1 with nero on my win xp box and it all worked mint, thanks

OK, well I'm not sure exactly what made it work, but here's what I did anyway: (If anybody can give a more concise explanation on how to do this or why some things didn't work it would be appreciated. There's an old article at www.macosx.org/nocd that talks about doing something like this, but OS 9 wouldn't recognize the disk image I had downloaded so I couldn't do it that way). I did this on a 450DP with 10.0.4. The partition I used was actually on a different physical hard drive, but I don't think that should matter.

1. I tried to just erase one of my partitions and copy the files straight over from the mounted image. BUT the finder gave me weird errors about overwriting files -- for some reason it thought a couple files like "ttys" and "ttys.installer" (I don't remember the names for sure) were the same files.

2. So, I logged in as root to make sure there weren't any permission issues going on and I tried to find which files were generating errors and get them copied over correctly. I also had hidden files showing (courtesy of Tinkertool (see versiontracker.com)). I was sure I had it all correct, and the partition was showing up in 'Startup Disk' so I restarted. Looked good, even threw up the initial OS X banner but then crashed to a command line & I had to restart (and hold down the option key to choose my 10.0.4 OS X startup disk instead)

3. Back in 10.0.4 again I logged in as root, mounted the image and started up Terminal. I did this:

cp -R /volumes/"Mac OS X Install CD"/* /volumes/mypartition/

Since I was root it got everything. Strangely, through terminal I could see (and copy) some file called "Norton FS Index" that I couldn't see through the finder, even with hidden files shown. I'm wondering if that was the problem before. Anyway, there were a couple directories & files thrown on "mypartition" after I did this that weren't on the Install CD disk image, so I deleted them from mypartition. I opened system settings and 'startup disk' was showing mypartition as an option once again. (I actually renamed it "Mac OS X Install CD" after unmounting the disk image, but I don't know if that really matters) I selected mypartition and restarted. Voila! A faster-than-CD seamless install ensued.

Well that's it. Sorry this was so long -- since I don't know for sure what I did right I thought should give some details.

Any questions post again & I'll check back or e-mail me.

About some support...Ok, is the login...music? and the password...download? I'm confused...Also, how exactly did you connect to the ftp server? should I use the finder in OSX? or a program like Fetch?
After that, from what I understand we need to make a bootable disk in order to install it...Ok, so I can use Toast titanium and just burn?

Help MacAvenger!:D

nevermind! I got it going, I was doing it right before, It just wasnt connecting for some reason.
Geezzz what a fast connection!

Thanks MacAvenger!

whats my next move though, can I make a bootable CD using ToasT in OSX or OS9?

Using a program like Fetch is probably easiest. and yes, music is the login name, and download is the password. To connect in fetch, choose New Connection from the file menu, and fill in the fields with the appropriate information. Once you have logged in, download the burning instructions.txt file, and it will walk you through the burning process as I have figured it out. No guarantees, but the process detailed there has worked for me and several others I have talked to.

how to make the 10.1 I have into an image?
Disk copy that comes with OS X lets you mount images but what utility do I used to create an image?
BTW, 5G64 is the offical 10.1 that Apple is distributing.

Thanks MacAvenger!

:D I just like saying that, great screen name!
you need an artistic rendition of MacAvenger!

I went from about 700bites per sec. to just over 18!
ouch! Opps, just checked again, were down to 17...Oh, well Im gald its there!

Im going to bed, in the moring I hope to see a nice 10.1:cool:

Originally posted by macavenger
I would upload the file to the admin, but they want the release version, not 5G64, even if 5G64 is the GM. And considering shipping time to Alaska, it might be a while before I get my hands on the release version...

But it is the release version! GM = golden master, ie the master from which they dupe all the CDs!

Sorry about that. I shut the server down temporarily to run disk fix and optimize. I figured it might reduce disk wear a little since my drive has been running constantly for the last 24 hours. I suppose I asked for it though. I just hope demand dies down before my admin complains about the bandwidth usage :D

Anyway, my server is back up now, and should remain so for the next week at least.

I would make a cool avatar, but I am not graphically talented enough. Oh well.

Originally posted by MacSub
I went from about 700bites per sec. to just over 18!
ouch! Opps, just checked again, were down to 17...Oh, well Im gald its there!

Im going to bed, in the moring I hope to see a nice 10.1:cool:

Thanks Macavenger. The download of your 5G64 image went great and the CD burn went perfectly! 10.1 is a great upgrade. Now we just have to see if it is indeed the GM on Saturday. If not, maybe the GM will be even faster!

Thanks again for your willing to share. We need more people like you in the world.

Peace.

I have the 5G64 GM beta, and am quite willing to UL to the server if i can find out how. it is the final release, some guy phoned tech support and they said that it is 5G64, maybe they put some updates on it like stuffit, but i doubt it, it'll all be available thruogh software update so they wont bother.
S, if you want it, i'll upload it. tell me how.
but i dont want to get busteed by Apple for supplying it to you, so as a disclaimer, im sure you have it already and desire a backup copy dont you?
paranoia......

email me admin

I am downloading now Thanx!! :)
but i am only getting a 14 k to 20 k connection and i am running over a t1 connection :(

Back