MacOSX 10.4 from an eMAC

I have to wait for the EBAY Auction to end before I can comment on "It's one license for one machine, not one license for one user." with regard to 10.4.

But I appreciate your reply for its broad spectrum answer, which suggests very strongly that there is a lot of noise in the channel and no definative answer with how to interpret "Single User". Apple may not have "User" stated that way on Tiger, but given the previous poster earlier versions of MacOSX may have been offered to the public quite differently, for a host of reasons . . . but may have lead to the cause of some confusion.

I suppose you may be right in arguing that it can't be termed "Single User" as multiple Users can be logged on and so it would have to be bound to a single box.

But if you think about it youre not logging into MacOSX but Darwin which is not Apple's, i.e. like FreeBSD or NetBSD. So is it Darwin that has been altered, much like it will be for the Intel Mac next year (which I am already saving up for) so it will only run on specific kit.

Yes, you are most definitely logging into Mac OS X -- if you wanted to log into Darwin or FreeBSD, then you would be running Darwin or FreeBSD on your machine... both of which are free and you are able to install on as many machines as you like.

But Mac OS X is a different story. Much like RedHat Linux now: the Linux core is free, but the package of RedHat is not. You can get Fedora for free, but not RedHat. If you want a free Linux, run a free Linux. If you want a free Mac OS X, run Darwin or FreeBSD -- not Mac OS X, because it's not free.

At any rate, "Single User," as stated before, is up to the software company. It differs between software packages and companies, and Apple makes their stance clear (as do the others). "Single User" has nothing to do with UNIX's multi-user capabilities, even though they share similar names. It's part of the EULA, which you agree to and accept when you install Mac OS X.

No sorry mate but you do not log into MacOSX you may log in through a GUI to the interface, Darwin is what you log into. Darwin is a BSD derivative and exists out there for anybody to compile and put onto any bit of kit that has the necessary compilers.

None of the stuff we like about the MacOS can exist without UNIX underneath, none of it.

examples:
Under a UNIX shell type uname -s - proof enough, if you get stuck try "uname -a"

Boot into single user mode

Once in type who
ps -aux | grep root and look at all that UNIX stuff thats running, nfs, cron, cups, init, rpc etc.

Go to /etc and issue an ls, you find al the standard stuff thats configured to run your system. Same with /bin, /usr /var.

1. cd /Applications/Utilities/Console.app/Contents/macOS
2. ./Console &
This loads the actuall binary uner Dariwn and runs it, the application figures out what winow envornment it runs under.
3. kill -9 "the process id of Console" and the applicatin is terminated by UNIX signal and is not the same as quitting. The force quite GUI is just a front end to that.

The Xfree86 X-Windows does not run under Apple's Windowing system, not something I enjoy that much, but is another example

Networking, the front end from System Preferences is just a front end to "ifconfig" and so forth.
Security is another area handle by Darwin.

"The list is absolutely endless"

This is exactly the same as typing "uname -a" under KDE, GNOME, OpenWindows, CDE, etc, in a terminal window the GUI is independant of the OS, its actually just another application to UNIX.

As stated in other chats, Darwin is the UNIX which provides all those things that other UNIXs do. "If quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, its a Duck", nuff said.

The RedHat comment is also incorrect, yes if Apple builds applications for Darwin and sell it as MacOSX great I love it, but that's completely different to making PD packages for LINUX. Yes you can pay for the packaging, but just like Linux everybody can download more or less any UNIX/Linux application thats been ported, or write them ourselves AT NO CHARGE, just means we've not been lazy. But we were on about this either.

Your last comment is not part of our question, it may or not be factually correct, we were interested in why, if we don't ask why then there is no use for this board or any board for that matter.

This comment is not directed at ElDiabloConCaca:

But the ill tempered moderator as menioned further up the board who suggest quite strongly that people are stealing things, should be stopped ASAP. He/She has nothing to substantiate his/her comments and, clearly should not be infering things of that nature in public, does not regard composure or manners as an asset.

I live in a part of our country where there are, or almost, no other Mac users and so come to this board for a fix or two, I leave as many fixes for other people as I can, i.e. passing on the goodwill and any information back to other users. However one, at least, "admin" very much spoil this notion and as a result I won't come back to this Board.

Wasn't that long ago that MacOSX.com was pleading with the public for funds and usage.

Back