MacWorld 2009 predictions

Will there be a "one more thing" during MacWorld ?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
The poll on one question: will there be a "one more thing" when Steve is not present ?

For the rest here is my prediction:
  • iLife '09 with the addition of iGame to make your own simple games et export to iPhoen and iPod touch
  • iWork '09 with the addition of a database and much better integration of the other 3 programs
  • iPhone/iPod touch versions of iLife and iWork
  • merge of AppleTV and Mac mini around the Atom controller
  • update of the iMac line for quad core

Next summer, we'll learn that iLife will be included in Snow Leopard because the same type of apps will be included with 7.

Any idea about news to come ?

Apparently nearly everybody think that we'll have a "one more thing" despite Steve's absence.

When was the last time we even had a "One more thing..." at a MacWorld -- I mean, in the sense that Steve actually said, "Oh, and one more thing..."?

My memory may be fux0red, but I don't remember the words "one more thing" being uttered at the last two or so MacWorlds. There's always something "big" and "unexpected" at the end, but I don't think Steve's used that particular phrase in a couple years.

Here's a wild one.

The "One More Thing" is going to be the actual introduction of Steve Jobs during Schiller's keynote by Schiller himself. Jobs will be walking in with some new Apple product that is going to revolutionize.....um, something... :)

LOL!

Don't mind me....I'm home sick, my teeth hurt because of it, and I'm not in my right mind (thought I don't think I've ever been). :p

Even though Steve Jobs will probably not be present at the MacWorld - I also think there will be some kind of "one more thing". Maybe a new kind of Mac? (Tablet PC, subnotebook...)

My predictions:

• iWork '09
  • iLife '09 with completely redesigned iDVD
  • Updated Mac mini
  • Updated Mac Pro
  • New Cinema Displays
  • Some new MobileMe features

Even though Steve Jobs will probably not be present at the MacWorld - I also think there will be some kind of "one more thing". Maybe a new kind of Mac? (Tablet PC, subnotebook...)

My predictions:

• iWork '09
  • iLife '09 with completely redesigned iDVD
  • Updated Mac mini
  • Updated Mac Pro
  • New Cinema Displays
  • Some new MobileMe features

I don't want new MobileMe features, I just want a reliable MobileMe !

Maybe Steve Jobs' absence was just a ploy to dampen expectations, because in the past few years, we've come to expect too much? :)

Rumors today mention
- new mouse (this is really required !!!)
- iWork cloud version (linked to MobileMe ???)

The idea of an iPhone nano puzzles me somewhat. I don't know, perhaps there is a market for it, but I'd have thought Apple would struggle to make the iPhone much smaller and keep it usable in the same manner as a current iPhone or iPod touch.

A new Mac mini or Mac Pro would be a useful update, but probably nothing earth-shattering. The possibility which worries me is the idea of iWork become a suite of web applications. If this is an additional feature, that's fine by me, but if it replaces the traditional iWork installation on a Mac, that would be a bad thing in my books. I've seen too many problems with servers providing delivered applications or the loss of an internet connection, where all work grinds to a halt. Also, Apple's difficulties with MobileMe over a long period don't inspire confidence. It's much better than it was, but I still experience the Mail page randomly reloading itself from time to time, leading to E-Mails getting lost. "Progress," eh? :p

The idea of an iPhone nano puzzles me somewhat. I don't know, perhaps there is a market for it, but I'd have thought Apple would struggle to make the iPhone much smaller and keep it usable in the same manner as a current iPhone or iPod touch.
Heh... that's almost verbatim what people thought about the possibility of Apple releasing an iPod nano alongside the regular iPod... ;)

I don't know one way or another whether they'll do it or not, nor do I care to speculate -- but it would be interesting, and would make a good gift for the girlfriend as well!

I personally love the idea of an iPhone nano. Of course it'd have the same screen pixel count in order not to provoke AppStore problems. But I have to wonder about the battery. Battery life on the iPhone 3G is abysmal when compared to smartphones like Nokia's Series 60 phones. A smaller phone with a _smaller_ battery won't do much better. So either it'd have to be 2G only (which is only a good idea in developing countries like the USA and nothing for, say, Europe) to improve battery life - or it'd have to be thicker.

Bloomberg announced today on TV (12:30pm Swiss) a possible cost reduction of the iPhone, maybe due to PASemi reworking the chipset ?

Heh... that's almost verbatim what people thought about the possibility of Apple releasing an iPod nano alongside the regular iPod... ;)
Doh! Hehehe, shows what I know, then. ;) That said, for me, a very small touchscreen (depends how small, I suppose) would not be practical and I also wouldn't enjoy watching video on it as much. But then it depends on what you are after when deciding on your purchase.

There are also rumors of phasing out the low end (white) MacBook and of bringing in a new version of the 17" MacBook Pro, with a non-removable battery. I've also heard of rumors that iMovie will, at least partially, move into the Cloud.

If Steve Jobs is not present, I would expect it to be unlikely they will copy the "one more thing" routine; that would seem to be stepping on Steve's toes a little. This is different from saying that there won't be any new offerings, however. Only a few days to go, so all will become clear soon enough!

With Microsoft having introduced Photosynth, I don't doubt something like iPhoto or even iMovie being moved out to the cloud. Probably not exclusively, but maybe as an option for MobileMe subscribers.

iMovie handles *MUCH* too much data for the cloud. My iPhoto library is 6 GB+ and I don't really have that many photos. I don't see this as a good move.

"clouding" iWork (i.e. adding some office capabilities to MobileMe, not replacing iWork), why not.

Back