mad at Apple

Thats like going to Microsoft and saying... Why isnt my Mac running right on my PC.

I don't know where to post this........

I've been using MacOS since the System 7 days and was planning to purchase a portable system capable of running OS X, Solaris, Ubuntu and windows natively.

So, i posted the question in Apple Discussions regarding the same, all i asked was if *nix es can be run on Mac natively or anyone have done it successfully and guess what after getting 5 or so replies, my post mysteriously vanished deleted by the hosts :eek:

and my next post regarding the deletion of the post also vanished after 5 replies. :mad: :mad:

Thought if all these OSes could quad boot on a Mac, i could save $$$$ by avoiding generic x86 hardware. If Apple doesn't like putting other Operating Systems on their hardware, why the hell they created Boot Camp :mad: , or are they affraid of Solaris & Ubuntu ?.

What do you think ?.

Nope CJ, especially when Apple promote i am Mac / Pc adverts. They're infact saying, Our hardware will run anything you throw, be it windows, linux or what ever system supports EFI.

I guess Apple don't mind people using inferior OS on their hardware only to say, hey OS X is beautiful, faster and stable than XP. But comparison between OS X and heavy weights like linux or solaris would make Apple sick, because OS X looses in most tasks. The famous G5 test conducted by AnandTech reveals OS X Server is the culprit behind poor performances on an architecture designed to perform, linux PPC beats Xeons & Opeterons of those days.

One thing is for the employee not knowing too much about Linux and that's ok. However, to tell me that they can't give me any information on it, I find to be ridiculous.

Since Apple "prides" themselves on the fact that you can now run windows and linux on mac I feel like they are there for the credit of making that possible but walking away when any quesions are thown there way. It's like the person that goes for the party but refuses to help clean up.

Even if Apple makes it possible to load and use a variety of non-Apple operating systems, that doesn't mean they have to provide direct support, or even answer any questions. Why should they?
Apple offers the Boot Camp software, but they don't provide Windows software with that. And, Apple has said from the start of Boot Camp that they will not provide support. They do support in a limited way, by providing install troubleshooting hints, and updating the Windows drivers as needed for the Mac.

Wouldn't it be more productive to go to a Linux support site for assistance with your Mac/Linux install questions? And, there's plenty of Linux users, even on this site, that can supply you with opinions/experiences that can directly relate to your needs.
That would be better than hoping that you will find a Linux/Unix expert at an Apple store. There are some of those, to be sure. And an Apple Genius will have more than a passing knowledge of Unix needed for support of OS X. Read that last sentence carefully - that may mean that someone at an Apple store might have other knowledge, but not used for their job. Apple already has an OS, and they want to continue to sell that.

It wasn't like I was asking how to fix a linux OS, I was wondering how to simply install it on my mac as well as what architecture to use (x86 or 64 bit). I wasn't looking for an indepth discussion about Linux, just the very basics on how to get to the installer.

If Apple feels so threatened by Linux and/or Microsoft then why provide the means of getting the other OS's to run on macs?

But I must admit that the people on this forum are very knowledable and experienced. These are the people I would trust working on my computer at the apple store.

... If Apple feels so threatened by Linux and/or Microsoft then why provide the means of getting the other OS's to run on macs?

I don't believe that Apple is 'threatened' by another OS, they just don't choose to provide assistance. The only other operating system that Apple has any vestige of support for right now, is MS Windows. Boot Camp doesn't support any other OSes.

I believe it's on supanatral to provide a link to a page at the Apple.com web site that provides any support to run any other OS than Windows (and OS X, of course). Offering for sale software such as Parallels is not what you are talking about. You won't get support for using Parallels, etc, from Apple. You go to Parallels for that support. It would be the same with Linux.

Don't be mad, Apple has a large legal team that I'm sure makes them do lots of strange things that seem entirely irrational to the outside world.

If Apple feels so threatened by Linux and/or Microsoft then why provide the means of getting the other OS's to run on macs?

That's what i'm asking. Remember i posted my question just weeks after they began shipping Core 2 Duo based models. And i didn't ask support for any non-apple OS, but whether someone installed them natively without serious problems (those days, i read some Sun engineer's blog regarding booting Solaris on someones MBP and trying on 20' iMac).

If Apple doesn't like asking such questions, they'd have sent me an email regarding why they deleted my post.... like other forums do. But i didn't get any. I'm mad only because they've deleted my post without any explenation.

Apple always promoted their hardware capable of running multiple OS, even during 68k days... with those minix, a/ux, mklinux, etc....

Back