mad at Apple

ebykm

Registered
I don't know where to post this........

I've been using MacOS since the System 7 days and was planning to purchase a portable system capable of running OS X, Solaris, Ubuntu and windows natively.

So, i posted the question in Apple Discussions regarding the same, all i asked was if *nix es can be run on Mac natively or anyone have done it successfully and guess what after getting 5 or so replies, my post mysteriously vanished deleted by the hosts :eek:

and my next post regarding the deletion of the post also vanished after 5 replies. :mad: :mad:

Thought if all these OSes could quad boot on a Mac, i could save $$$$ by avoiding generic x86 hardware. If Apple doesn't like putting other Operating Systems on their hardware, why the hell they created Boot Camp :mad: , or are they affraid of Solaris & Ubuntu ?.

What do you think ?.

linux people will always try to get linux to run on anything. if your toaster one day had a screen, it'd be a good bet that someone would get linux to run on it within weeks.

although i don't know if linux works or not, i would guess so, and i've heard stories i think.

solaris is more difficult, but probably runs along the same theory.

Hmm, I am not sure what Apple's reasons for deleting the posts were. Linux has been run on PowerPC Macs for years, so I would be surprised if Apple objected to talk of Linux on Intel Macs (unless there were direct performance comparisons with OS X that were less than favorable?). Are there any legal issues about running Solaris on a Mac, which Apple want to steer clear of?

I did a little bit of searching and found a few pages that might be of interest:

Solaris:
Solaris Nevada build 36 running on an iMac

Solaris on an Intel Mac using Parallels Desktop

Linux:
Engadget article on Linux running on Intel iMacs

Mactel-Linux - efforts to get Linux running on Intel Macs

Linux vs. OS X on an Intel Mac

Oh, and as a side note, there has been mention of Leopard being able to use Sun's ZFS...

The Intel Macs run Linux perfectly. However, take it from a long time Linux user, Mac OS X has nothing to fear from Linux as far as usability is concerned. Performance wise, while it isn't bad, there are things that could be better. You will not notice a performance difference, unless you're running some benchmarks to measure that difference.

linux people will always try to get linux to run on anything. if your toaster one day had a screen, it'd be a good bet that someone would get linux to run on it within weeks.
I bought an electronic meat thermometer yesterday and I was waiting for the penguin to pop up on the LCD display.

(Moved the thread. "Opinions & Open Letters", from its description, looks like the perfect fit for me.) :)

I bought an electronic meat thermometer yesterday and I was waiting for the penguin to pop up on the LCD display.

It only works when you cook penguin meat...

... ok sorry, I leave the place ...

Hmm, I am not sure what Apple's reasons for deleting the posts were. Linux has been run on PowerPC Macs for years, so I would be surprised if Apple objected to talk of Linux on Intel Macs (unless there were direct performance comparisons with OS X that were less than favorable?).

Me too, i haven't asked any questions/comparisons.

Are there any legal issues about running Solaris on a Mac, which Apple want to steer clear of?

I'm not sure, as far i know there shouldn't be any legal issues.

I did a little bit of searching and found a few pages that might be of interest:

Thanks, but i've been searching the topic for the past few months and came up with the same results. I'm not interested in any virtualization software as it requires hell of $$$$ RAM. $700 for 2GB single SODIMM

Just wondering, did you bookmark those messages your posted in the Apple forums?

$700 for 2GB single SODIMM

Not quite. The prices are FINALLY coming down to a reasonable level. You can get 2GB SO-DIMMS for around $250 now. Memory manufacturers/resellers have kept the prices high artificially to make some money for a while but I guess that's over with now.
OWC and Transint'l also have some good deals if you're reluctant to buying some brand that doesn't say Mac compatible. I for one have never cared about that and always just stuck to the tech specs and have never come across a memory module that didn't work in the system I bought it for.

I went in the apple store because my computer wasn't working right. So I just quickly asked them how I would do it or which version of ubuntu would work with it and they wouldn't even drop any hints or tell me a word about it. It felt like i just swore in the Apple store.

I went in the apple store because my computer wasn't working right. So I just quickly asked them how I would do it or which version of ubuntu would work with it and they wouldn't even drop any hints or tell me a word about it. It felt like i just swore in the Apple store.

It's an Apple store. The staff are trained to support Apples. The live, breathe, eat all things Apples.

Now, how are they supposed to know what version of Ubuntu runs on what? Who knows what version of kernel, Gnome, HAL, drivers run on which version of Ubuntu? You gotta ask yourself, how likely is it that someone working in an Apple store is going to know about Linux, much less Ubuntu?

If you want Ubuntu specific information, you will be much better off asking on the Debian mailing lists or the Ubuntu forums.

It's an Apple store. The staff are trained to support Apples. The live, breathe, eat all things Apples.

Now, how are they supposed to know what version of Ubuntu runs on what? Who knows what version of kernel, Gnome, HAL, drivers run on which version of Ubuntu? You gotta ask yourself, how likely is it that someone working in an Apple store is going to know about Linux, much less Ubuntu?

If you want Ubuntu specific information, you will be much better off asking on the Debian mailing lists or the Ubuntu forums.

That is true. However they should know that they're hardware would except a x86 or 64 bit verion. Plus Linux and Mac OSX is extremly similar. If you talk to any PC technician it is pretty much granted that they know linux, so why are macs any different considering that linux runs on macs as well?

In my experience a lot of PC techs don't care about Linux because their too narrow minded and focused on Windows. So I don't see why the same shouldn't be true for Mac techs. OTOH Linux has always been more DIY than Windows or Mac OS and even though we have easily installable distros now they still involve more hacking than your average consumer OS.

A nice side effect of this: there's usually plenty of info and help on the interweb regarding Linux. So, Google is your friend. You don't go asking MS support about Linux either.

Because it's not in their best interest as Apple employees to promote another product. They already have an OS. That would be like Microsoft support helping out Linux users. Unless they come out with a product on something like Linux, they won't help you....it's not in their interest to do so. Same with the Apple Geniuses at the Apple Store. Yes, Macs can run Linux...but that doesn't mean they are there to support another operating system that has nothing to do with Apple directly. They probably do know how to use Linux on PowerPC or Intel Macs, but they are there to promote Mac OS X and Apple's other products only.

And regarding PC techs, like doemel said many of them are too focused on Windows to care. The ones that do go about giving Linux a try are few and far between. I know because I deal with a lot of techs in the school district I work for, and a lot of them only care about Windows...it's what gives them job security. It's taken me a long time to finally get some of them to come around and give Linux a try. It's been a lot easier now with Ubuntu Feisty being released, but many of them just don't care since our district is Microsoft-based.

Back