Magic Trackpad has me mystified. Why is it grabbing content without clicks?

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Either I'm dragging a finger at the same time I'm clicking on something, or the magic trackpad is really magic. But I can't figure out why often I'll have one finger on the trackpad and will be attempting to go to an open window or maybe scroll down and suddenly I'm highlighting content. Or, I'll suddenly have captured an image and I'm now dragging that around. I can't figure out how to drag multiple emails to highlight and delete (only way I can see is to use both trackpad and shift on keyboard), but sometimes magically I can drag across multiple emails. I got the trackpad to relieve some stress on my hand and shoulder from over use and rotator cuff injury, and using it with my left hand (and since I'm left handed, that's great) vs. right hand mouse, which I've used for 30-35 years. However, just curious as to what's up with the grabbing mysteriously. PS there is nothing in the settings that would indicate this being something to turn on or off. Unless it's buried somewhere and I'm not seeing it. And, yes, I paired with the computer (though I'm still on Monterey Mac mini 2014 and it came with a C plug which doesn't pair with the 2014 model. Had to go the USB route with my phone cable charger, but it's paired).

All I know on laptop M1 I've done once or twice these past 6 months! I just find I was actually pressing on down trackpad when going trough online meager boards! Too in older yer I have to careful when using this trackpad that has her button under it!

All I know on laptop M1 I've done once or twice these past 6 months! I just find I was actually pressing on down trackpad when going trough online meager boards! Too in older yer I have to careful when using this trackpad that has her button under it!
Possible, but it seems so arbitrary. And, I can never replicate on purpose.

There's some settings for the trackpad in "Accessibility". Look for "Pointer Control", then look at "Trackpad Options". You may have a setting that you don't really need. Try changing the setting for draglock. If it is turned on, try changing to "without draglock", or choose "three finger drag"

There's some settings for the trackpad in "Accessibility". Look for "Pointer Control", then look at "Trackpad Options". You may have a setting that you don't really need. Try changing the setting for draglock. If it is turned on, try changing to "without draglock", or choose "three finger drag"
Without was set. I set for three finger to see. I did discover that if I touch the trackpad quickly, that's where I'll get the drag to highlight. I'll see if this makes a noticeable difference. Thanks. There's always something hidden somewhere. :)

So far, the change for the trackpad to 3 finger seems to be doing something. However, I cannot say there is any difference between with or without inertia when scrolling through an online article with either mouse or trackpad. Maybe if it's a document? I'll play around. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Back