Mail.app won't show new mails in dock

Racer D

what?
You know the feauture where mail.app shows how many new emails you got in it's dock icon? Well I've just lost it :( I don't really remember what I did, but I can't find it in the preferences. what can I do? and please don't say trash the preferences file, I don't wanna loose my preferences :\

If you have your mail being moved to some mailbox other than the Inbox, the Dock icon won't show those new mails. It only shows new mail in the Inbox.

Setting for messages in InBox should be somewhere in com.apple.mail.plist (in your user/Library/Preferences folder.

did that, also trashed dock preferences and restarted it
fixed permissions
logged out/in

could it be that the .app is broken? is there a way I could get a new one (install cds?)

Hmmm... you could use a program like Pacifist to extract a new Mail.app from the install CDs, but before you try that, try this:

Create a new user (admin or regular, doesn't matter) and log in as that user. Open Mail and set up the mail account, and if you have to, send yourself an email. When the email arrives, check the Dock to see if the Mail program's icon behaves as you'd like it to -- if it does, Mail.app is working properly and we need to troubleshoot your original user account to see what the problem is...

works for the new user... now what

(these files/folders removed (renamed), still no work: "~/Library/Preferences/.com.apple.mail.plist", "~/Library/Mail", "~/Library/Caches/Mail")

If i set Mail.app to be one of my Startup Items, i had the same problem.
Quitting and re-opening Mail solved it for me.

Does Mail.app startup automatically when you boot your Mac?

(btw, this behaviour happened in 10.2 and have not tested it in 10.3 yet.)

Well, then it appears that the Mail.app is not damaged since it works for the new user. Perhaps it could be something with the icon in the dock, or, more specifically, the dock itself.

Let's try trashing the com.apple.dock.plist file and the com.apple.dock.iconcache files. I also have a com.apple.dockfixup.plist file, but I would hold on to that one and concentrate on the other two.

just make a new account and move all your mails over to that account (make sure you hav backed them up first!) and then delete the old one.

In that case I'd move my whole home folder. There's too many settings for different apps to loose. And my guess is my home folder is the main reason for this.

I'm not totally sure about this but I think I noticed something about Mail. I set up spam filters and it seems that when Mail is open but hidden and I get spam email, Mail will not play the new mail sound. When I get a good email it will play the new mail sound. Maybe the same is true about the icon in the dock?

Like I said, I'm not sure about this as I have not paid that much attention to it and I'm also still fairly new to the Mac.

chum: mail plays sounds and shows icon when there are new emails in inbox. any other folder won't do it. But I have mine in my inbox

sorry bout bringing the post back but just in case someone else gets similar problems.

All I had to do was to reenable the fonts I disabled in font book. I can see the numbers in my dock now :)

Back