Mail Keeps Deleting Trashed Messages Contrary To Preferences

wickerman

Registered
I have set my Mail preferences to never delete trashed mail yet Mail insists on apparently deleting for ever messages from certain correspondents, apparently at random. What could be causing this and how can I fix or reset Mail behaviour?

I have set my Mail preferences to never delete trashed mail yet Mail insists on apparently deleting for ever messages from certain correspondents, apparently at random. What could be causing this and how can I fix or reset Mail behaviour?

Are using iCloud email service or some other service like your ISP?

Are you referring to Mail on your desktop/laptop or your phone/tablet?
If it is specific correspondence, is it possible these emails are moved to a saved folder?
Or is Mail treating them as spam?

Desktop (iMac, OSX El Capitan). If Mail was flagging them as spam they would go to the Junk folder. I have a smart mailbox set up for one of these correspondents. The day I last received their mail it went to the smart mailbox as expected. The next day the mail had disappeared, along with others.

Do you lose emails solely that go into that one smart mail folder?

Hmmm - this question is hard to decide, I think! :
Do you ONLY lose very recent emails, or do you also lose emails that you have had for more than a few days?

That's hard to say but I would guess it's messages older than a few days also. And this was happening before I set up the smart mail folder.

Back