Mail Not Downloading Emails From Server

dcodotto

Registered
Hi there,

I'm writing this on behalf of a hosting client.

She has a MAC (OSX) running Mail.
She has 3 email accounts setup within Mail.

The problem is, two of her email accounts sporadically neglet to download email sitting in her inbox on my server.

She would log in to her inbox on the server using webmail, and see a whole stack of messages sitting there, but when she goes to download them with Mail, they don't download.

The strange thing is that the other email account is fine though.

All the email accounts are setup with exactly the same settings (barr the username, password) therefore logic states that it cannot be the setup of the email accounts within Mail.

Also, when she launches outlook Express instead of Mail, all the messages download fine!
So this would point the finger at Mail causing the trouble.

What would cause this to happen.
It seems to happen once a month or so.

Also, another question for you.

I have another hosting client who also uses a Mac, and he has told me that his Mail software keeps popping up a little box asking for his email account username and password.
He has already specified it in the settings of his email account, so why would it keep asking for it?

These issues seem to be isolated to MACS only... My PC clients have had no issues such as these.

Please help.

Cheers
Damian
www.mindwire.com.au

dcodotto said:
Also, another question for you.

I have another hosting client who also uses a Mac, and he has told me that his Mail software keeps popping up a little box asking for his email account username and password.
He has already specified it in the settings of his email account, so why would it keep asking for it?

It's likely that the POP server (or IMAP) server rejects new mail requests that are too frequent -- he's likely got Mail set up to check for new mail every minute or every 5 minutes or so... changing this option to 10 minutes or more should solve this.

It happens to me occasionally on my POP accounts -- some POP servers will reject mail checks if they occur too frequently.

Did you ever figure this out? I have an employee who has a similar problem. Running mail on 10.3.9 and she gets the messages to her inbox but when she goes to open them it says:

The message from <sender address> concerning “Email Subject” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it.

However, the account is online, and some messages download properly. It's a university popmail server that she's getting her email from, and it works fine on her home computer, so that suggests it's not her account settings. Also, it works fine for me and my account on my Powerbook running 10.3.9. Any solutions?

I am having this same problem, with a University IMAP server. Funny thing is that it is only stopping the delivery of emails from my university domain (emails from external domains like gmail.com are downloaded fine by Mail).

I am running Mail 2.0 on Tiger. Interestingly enough, there seems to be no problem with Panther Mail (I tested it on another machine).

All I know if 10.4.1 had a problem with the Mac OS X Keychain holding it's Authentication (not documented). This was fixed in 10.4.2. If you used Carbon Copy Cloner you would have noticed this problem.

Back