Mail - VIP Account

Michah923

Registered
I downloaded the new OS X 10.8 and with it came the new mail. I accidentally created a VIPs Mailbox. How do I delete it?

Is the VIP mailbox handled differently from any other Smart mailbox? You should be able to right click that VIP mailbox, and choose Delete Mailbox from the drop-down menu that appears.

No it does not work like a normal mailbox. When I right click (ctrl right click trackpad) it highlights but does not allow for deletion.

When the VIP mailbox is selected, is there an item in the menus somewhere that will start the delete process? or an item in the bottom of the Mail window, where you can add new smart folders, and also remove them.
What happens if you select the VIP box, and simply press Delete.
Is there a setting in the Mail preferences that allow you edit or delete a VIP mailbox?
If you go to Mail's help menu, type in 'Remove VIP mailbox' - do you get any results there?

As you can tell, I don't have Mountain Lion yet, so trying to supply some hints on some things to try, or how to get help from within the Mail app.

Thanks for responding so quickly.
1.) Not if you highlight VIPs and hit delete, nothing happens.
2.) No settings in preferences.
and finally,
3.) There is nothing in Help that allows edit or delete of a VIP box.

Isn't there a menu at the bottom of the mailbox list window - probably looks like a little gear?
Or, if you select that mailbox, then go to the Mailbox menu at the top, isn't there an item in that menu to delete a selected mailbox?
Or, even quicker, can you simply click and drag the VIP folder out of the left side list?

Yes, there is a gear, delete mailbox is not highlighted. I have tried in vain to grab it and move it to the Trash. No love there. It is very frustrating.

Are you sure that you have the VIP mailbox selected, and then check the gear/delete mailbox?
If not, is there nothing helpful in the Mailbox menu in the top menubar?
Again, make sure the VIP mailbox is actually selected when you look in that Mailbox menu.

I do have it highlighted, however the selection to delete mailbox are shadowed and cannot be used. My new conclusion is that it is a programming issue. Why is it that you haven't upgraded to the bleeding edge of technology?

On my Mountain Lion I can highlight the VIP star for a person and under the right-click selections I can select "Remove from VIPs".

So that doesn't work for you at all on 10.8.0?

From Mail help:

To remove VIP status from a sender, click the VIP’s star in a message. The star is removed and the sender’s VIP mailbox is removed from the Favorites bar.

I just created a VIP, the VIPs mailbox appeared. I uncreated the VIP following the above suggestion, the VIPs mailbox disappeared.

Back