main fan in Imac G3

Bluesman

Registered
The main fan in my G3 is getting a little noisy (the big one that blows air out of the top), i guess it's just it's age. I'm thinking of replacing it with another one. Standard case fans are only around 10 bucks average and it will get rid of this annoyance cause i work at my good ol imac every day. Is this a standard-sized case fan or do i need something special?

These sizes are most common:
120x120x25 mm
120x120x38 mm
92x92x25 mm
92x92x38 mm
80x80x25 mm
80x80x38 mm

Thanks.

That article covers slot-loading iMacs only. The previous iMacs (with the tray-loading CD), and including the first generation of iMacs, have an internal fan. Don't know what size it is, or even if it is simple to replace.

Alright i found the specs and it's exactly the same as a standard 92x92x25 case fan. Is there a guide anywhere on how to replace it cause i took a look at it and it's not something i would touch without knowing what i'm doing.

That first link I provided in my last post is a take-apart walkthrough, including how to get at the fan.

If you can hunt down the user "bobw" here (he's got a wealth of information and links concerning Apple documents), he's got a link to some Apple Service Manuals that may include instructions on the Apple-recommended way of replacing the fan.

Back