Making TimeMachine work on Netgear WNR3500L

Matsaki

Registered
Googled around a lot and found no simple answers. Having my new Netgear WNR3500L I want to setup a USB disc to use as TimeMachine with the router.

1. The router recognizes NTFS, DOS 32 and ext3 formats. Which one should I use and if NTFS or ext3 what tools is there to use for formatting the disc?

2. How do i get TimeMachine to recognize the connected disc?

I know this is not a strictly OS X question. But I think I might have most luck asking here (as always) :)

Thanks!

Get a Time capsule or an airport extreme is the best and only answer, or else don't backup through the router and plug directly into the machine.

2. Time Machine will only work with HFS+ formatted drives. Sorry for the bad news. Maybe something like Carbon Copy Cloner or something along that line.

Last edited:
Just installed the Tomato firmware 092 on the router, and HFS / HFS+ discs are now supported. But TimeMachine want's a Time Capsule. I know there is a fix. But did not find the exact instructions how to config.

(Just wanted to leave report)

The problem seems to be that from OS X Lion only afp is supported. Not smb. I get the error:

The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features.

Looks like there is a fix for that too, but I did not look in to it further for the moment,

Last edited:
Back