Mavericks Finder graphics corruption

Freek Freriks

Registered
Hi guys,

I have a pretty frustrating problem, since a few days my macbook pro 2009 is glitching when i open the finder. Mavericks used to run fine but not anymore. The problem kicks in after browsing thru a few folders, I made a screenshot so you guys get what I mean. As you can see the graphics are glitching, I searched for a solution and more people had the problem but the suggested tips didn't work for me. It only happens in the finder, after restarting the finder I can browse thru a few files an then the problem kicks in again...

Do you guys have an idea maybe?

http://postimg.org/image/y565brc47/

We need a bit more information:
What was downloaded/installed just before this happened OR do you remember what you were doing just before this happened ?
What version Mavericks are you running? Have you installed the latest update?
Did you run Disk Utility to repair permissions on your hard drive?
Have you used TechTool or Disk Warrior on your drive recently?

Hi guys,

I have a pretty frustrating problem, since a few days my macbook pro 2009 is glitching when i open the finder. ...

This does not appear to be a graphics problem. It appears that all of the folders inside Bureaublad folder are opening as daughter windows inside the Bureaublad window. Daughter windows are not a standard feature of OS X. They are a standard feature of Microsoft Windows. Perhaps you installed a haxie to implement daughter windows on your system. Therefore, it is important to answer Cheryl's question about the software that you have installed.

Sorry for the late respons.

I did what you asked to do Cheryl, I ran the disk repair tools etc. but the problem is still there.
I also did not install haxy stuff, I run mavericks like it's coming out of the box, I did an update for the latest videocard drivers but nothing chanced. The finder is working for a short period of time, but as soon as I hit the backbutton the glitching kicks in. I have to do a forced quit of the finder to make it run fine again, after that I can use it for a short period of time and then it starts glitching again.

I looks like a lot of open windows in the finder but thats just the glitching, if I move the finder window the background of the window starts to do crazy and glitches the windows behind the finder window. It's like that old Windows bug we had in Windows XP for example. When you move a popup window there starts to appear a trail behind the window you are dragging. It's exacly what happens in my finder window.

This Windows bug you probably know:
http://randommization.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/windows-error-art.jpg

Last edited:
Check the Finder Preferences>General. You may have Spring Loaded folders set too quick. Better yet, turn it off and see if that corrects the issue.

Check the Finder Preferences>General. You may have Spring Loaded folders set too quick. Better yet, turn it off and see if that corrects the issue.

I gave this a try but it's not fixing the problem :(
I really think it's a graphic bug since more people with the same type MB pro have this problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5673404?start=0&tstart=0

As you can see in thread more people are dealing with this problem. Apple sells the bug as a hardware problem, some people replaced their hardware after that but sooner or later the bug is kicking in again. Everybody is saying the problem start happening after installing Mavericks.

I might downgrade to the previous osx and wait till a new osx is released.

How can I downgrade and do I lose my files after that?

The thread that you linked shows graphic corruption, related to a driver issue, or simply the graphics card glitching.
Yours is quite different, and looks to me to be a simple redraw issue (or, rather, a lack of redraw :D )
It doesn't appear to be related to the graphics card issues that you read about, nor a problem with the graphics card driver.

If I see this, my first thought is some problem with the system software.
Download and install Mavericks combined updater (could fix your issue) http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1755

If that doesn't help at all, Boot to your Recovery system, and reinstall OS X. (You won't lose any of your files, as you are just reinstalling OS X to replace the system that is already in place.) That will even more likely fix you up. You'll want to run your Software Update to get your system fully up-to-date again after the reinstall.

If you decide to go down an OS X version, make sure you have the installer on disk. You want to do a clean install which will not touch your files. You will get warnings that it is not recommended to go down a version.

If I see this, my first thought is some problem with the system software.
Download and install Mavericks combined updater (could fix your issue) http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1755

I just ran this update and the problem is still there. I really appreciate the help of both of you but unfortunately it's not fixing the problem... I dont have the install disk anymore of a previouw osx only the osx from 2009. Maybe i just have to wait till the new osx gets released.

Maybe I over heated my MB pro recently, I do a lot of 3d rendering stuff which is very heavy and my laptop gets pretty warm with that. I want to replace this old mb pro for a new and much faster Imac i7 next month so i'll just need to be patient i think. This poor old MB pro did a very good job, I pretty much tortured this laptop and i never expected to make him last this long. He is probably dieing slowly now and these glitches are the first signs of it...

First open up your MacBook Pro and clean all the dust from inside it. Then download the free program EtreCheck and run it. What it shows in red is incompatible and can be manually deleted. Once these old services is deleted immediately restart your Mac. This should help.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a pretty frustrating problem, since a few days my macbook pro 2009 is glitching when i open the finder. Mavericks used to run fine but not anymore. The problem kicks in after browsing thru a few folders, I made a screenshot so you guys get what I mean. As you can see the graphics are glitching, I searched for a solution and more people had the problem but the suggested tips didn't work for me. It only happens in the finder, after restarting the finder I can browse thru a few files an then the problem kicks in again...

http://postimg.org/image/y565brc47/
Heey Freek, Heb je dit ooit gefixed? Ik heb het nu gaande en kan niet goed de oplossing vinden... heb jij die?

Translation: I am now going on and can not find the solution ... you got that?

oops, sorry Cheryl... that was rude of me. I asked if he ever found a fix for his problem, cause i ran into the same problem today.... but your Dutch is fairly good!

after "intensive care" I found out that in safe mode everything was running ok. So I figured my problem had something to do with program's automaticly being launched when i start my computer.
So I turned them off and my problem was gone. I think it was the google doc's app what caused my problem.

cheers!,

Chris

oops, sorry Cheryl... that was rude of me. I asked if he ever found a fix for his problem, cause i ran into the same problem today.... but your Dutch is fairly good!

after "intensive care" I found out that in safe mode everything was running ok. So I figured my problem had something to do with program's automaticly being launched when i start my computer.
So I turned them off and my problem was gone. I think it was the google doc's app what caused my problem.

cheers!,

Chris

Hi Chris! I have the same problem Freek Freriks and you had. Im using Mavericks 10.9.5 cause my macbook is a 2011 model and I have been recommended not to update it (before i was using Yosemite and the MB run really slow).
Which programs were causing the problem and how did you turn them off? By google doc´s app you mean the Google drive app?

Cheers!

Hi Chris! I have the same problem Freek Freriks and you had. Im using Mavericks 10.9.5 cause my macbook is a 2011 model and I have been recommended not to update it (before i was using Yosemite and the MB run really slow).
Which programs were causing the problem and how did you turn them off? By google doc´s app you mean the Google drive app?

Cheers!

Hi guys. Got the same problem here.

After a closer look at all posts, I've just finished the Google Drive App, and the problem was solved.

Now I'm looking for solutions including Google's App.

Regards,

Cheers!
Go to System preferences>Users & Groups>Login items. This is where you will find a list of the apps that will start up when you boot up your Mac. Click on one name, then at the bottom of the list is a plus/minus. Click on the minus. The app will no longer start when you log in/start up your computer.

Hi guys. Got the same problem here.

After a closer look at all posts, I've just finished the Google Drive App, and the problem was solved.

Now I'm looking for solutions including Google's App.

Regards,

I had the exact same problem, stopping the Google Drive App from opening on startup worked for me.

Many thanks for all the input everyone :)

Unchecking the option "Show file sync status..." in google drive preferences, and then restarting finder also solves the problem.

upload_2016-8-30_21-12-54.png

Back