menu bar

to see the beeeeautiful background only. :)
Seriously, as much as it makes sense for some ppl to hide the dock, it fits to the menu bar. I am not using it beside checking the time or the current cpu load. For that I can use some nice konfabulator widgets as well. I will probably want to hide it too, once it will be possible. But this is not even planed in tiger, if I followed all the threads on that right.

Zammy-Sam said:
I am not using it beside checking the time or the current cpu load. For that I can use some nice konfabulator widgets as well.

I don't know if it would be such a good idea for Apple to build functionality into OS X that relies on 3rd-party software.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I don't know if it would be such a good idea for Apple to build functionality into OS X that relies on 3rd-party software.
True, but this is not the case for tiger, right?

What do you mean? I don't think Tiger relies on any 3rd-party software for functionality, does it?

Are you referring to "Dashboard?"

Yup, was referring to dashboard. I meant that dashboard might have all the needed functionality in visualizing time, battery state, signal strength and maybe even system status and other things so that there is no need for the menu bar. Don't know what "widgets" there are for apples dashboard, but if it is similar to konfabulator I really don't see any urge need for the menu bar beside a pointer which app is currently in the foreground.

Hmm... I don't see the need for the menubar to vanish. It's the place where the menus are. And while I motorically tend to know where my menus reside, an optical cue is very, very important for 'newer' users (and for newer applications).

Tiger, luckily, does not have anything like a vanishing menu bar.

Right -- and you can remove everything from the menubar save for the menus, anyway, so if you want the clock on a widget and not on the menubar, by golly, you've got that option.

Ah, all right.

The thread I just started was closed:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47704&highlight=menu+hide

I will comment here.

It's not a question whether it's good or bad. Nobody asks that.

It's a question whether it'spossible.

I am a very new guy to the thing (just a little bit over two weeks). Lately (before the mac), I've been using heavily customized KDE - the only one which served my needs for the only one (Linux) I could use.

And now I got to Mac ...

Well, besides it's ... different ... it's ... perfect!

The UI. It's pretty hard to learn it (that's 'cause it's different), but once you do ... it's perfect.

Well, except for a one little thing ... the menu.

I used to use all the screen space. I am not willing to give it up that easy.

So, let me rephrase ....

Is there a _free_ way (like free development sowtare - I ain't going to pay no money for this) to _write_ a program doing that?

Well, I guess that's wrong forum ...

Shura.

To answer to fryke:

I know the difference between the menu and the taskbar.

Menus in windows KDE drive me creazy too.

But ... I can't do anything there ... (neither I can here, appears to me)

And, besides, KDE is not perfect. :)

Back