Menu items duplicated in Leopard

rickself

Registered
I have noticed just this last week that my finder is showing duplicate commands in the menus: shut down, empty trash, and secure shut down. There are 2 of each. There are also 2 move to trash commands. Also, windows now have a black box around them, like the Mail window now has a black rule areoound it. The red button in the top left corner of this page has a black box around it. I've attached 3 screenshots.
Up until last week, I have never seen this happen…and I go all the way back to the Mac Plus!
Any ideas?
I've repaired permissions and nothing changes.
Leopard 10.5.8 Mac G4 Mirrored DD

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    31 KB · Views: 1
Sorry, didn't work, although that may come in handy later on.
Look at the screenshots, they have nothing to do with applications.

You have VoiceOver turned on...
So, turn VoiceOver off in your System Preferences/Universal Access pane.
The doubled menu items, and the mysterious black boxes will disappear as soon as you turn VO off.

Rock On, DeltaMac!
How the heck did that happen without me going in and actually clicking?
Problem solved...thanks!

You may have turned that on accidentally. Notice it only take either a command-f5, or fn-command-f5 (depending on your keyboard settings). You may not notice the change in menus right away, or the black box outlines, which would outline any windows or frames where you have a cursor - so you may have switched it on without knowing exactly when you did it.
VoiceOver does talk to you, but you may have had the volume turned down at that time.

Yepp, that was it. I don't remember the program - maybe when I was using Equation Editor in Word (for school). My keyboard is a Logitech wireless, so half the function keys don't work anyways. And I very rarely have my speakers on. Good job, thank you tons.

Back