Menubar System Items gone...

senne

Registered
Hi,

My system items (Volume, Display, etc...) in the menu bar are gone. I only have my self-installed items, which you can see in the screenshot below.

(i just noticed that cmd + shift + 4 doesn't work too)

menubar.tiff

Other problems are not connecting to Airport Express & Preferences Pane 'Sound' crashes when opening. I have an iMac G5 with Mac OS X 10.4.5 with the latest Security Update installed. I can't remember I installed something bad... I thought it maybe was MainMenu, but after deleting it (including preferences and some other file) my problem stayed the same.

Unknown information, was MacOS X 10.4.5 installed and working before the 'Security Update' was installed?

Suggestion:
01. Boot from your Tiger Install disc.
02. Select the 'Installer, Open Disk Utility...' menu item.
03. Select the internal hard disk drive icon (left side column), the 'First Aid' tab, and the 'Repair Disk' button (and, once the process is finished, click the 'Repair Disk' button again). Next, click on the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button (and, once the process is finished, click the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button again).
04. Reboot (via the internal hard disk drive) the Mac.

Did the menubar icons now appear?
Does 'System Preferences' 'Sound' utility now work?

If the Volume, Display, etc menubar icons appear - go to the respective 'System Preferences' utility and place a check mark in the respective check boxes to have the respective menubar icon displayed. Did they?

Well I don't know how to fix the missing Menu items, but to fix the command+shift+4 is easy, just reset your pram.

Barhar: no, it wasn't working as it should before the Security Update. I will try your suggestion now.

Satcomer: Pram?

You can enable and change the keyboard shortcuts for taking screen shots in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane. Did the setting get disabled somehow?

Re-applying the combo update like ElDiablo said might be a good idea. Repair permissions first if you decide to, just in case.

Mikuro: When I try to open the Keyboard & Mouse pane, SP crashes.

ElDiablo: I think that's the best thing to do...

Back