Microsoft word quitting on startup? help please

bez

Registered
Hi everyone, I have a bit of a strange problem at the moment. When I open up microsoft word, as the programme is loading, I get the little spinning colour wheel, then a dialogue box appears containing this:

Microsoft word has unexpectadly quit.

The system and other applications have not been affected.

Would you like to submit a bug report to Apple?

I have tried re-installing office, and its still the same. None of the other apps in office work either. However, I just tried it again prior to posting this, and it worked, word opened, and I saved a document. I quit word, re opened, and the message came up again. :( Also, I think that this problem has occured on a few other of my apps when they are loading up, but word seems to be the most problematic. Any suggestions welcome, however, I am a total mac novice so be gentle. Thanks everyone

Thanks for the reply mate. I have extra fonts installed, but ive had office on for about 5 months now and never had a problem. I have just deleted all the preferences for it, but it still quits on startup.
Anyone got anything i can try?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would suggest removing those fonts you added temporarily and see if Word starts up... if it does, you can do a process-of-elimination to see which font may be causing the crash.

If removing those fonts doesn't help, we can just about rule out the font issue.

Where did you put your fonts? In your user folder fonts or in the system level fonts?

If the fonts are in the system level make another user account, login from that account and see if word still crashes. If it doesn't, then it is something to do with your account (old one) and not word or the fonts?

If the extra fonts are user level, you could try making another account, or like ElDiabloConCaca suggested, just remove the fonts and try word again.

Good luck

thanks guys, seems to be a dodgy font then. Strange as none of my other apps have a prob with loading them. will have to do a bit of investigation.

cheers for the help. bez

Also, I had the same exact problem (with the whole Office suite) once. It had to do with a bad DivX plugin in your /Library/Quicktime (or ~/Library/Quicktime) folder. For some reason a certain driver and Office didn't like each other. Try to remove the plugin to the desktop and then try to launch Word.

Note: The latest DivX plugin plays nice with Office.

just to update- the problem was a dodgy font, but I couldnt work out which one! I just uninstalled all the fonts I had put on, and the problem has totally dissapeared. I seem to have had the same problem with quark 6. It has worked fine for months, then the other day, whenever I tried to open the app, it said "unknown error" and asked me to contact quark. It hasnt happened since i took the fonts off, so do you think this was a problem caused by a font? If so why did it pop up all of a sudden when I have had no problem for months?
Thanks for all the help guys, its great to be a member of such a helpfull forum, I know I would have never have solved the problem on my own. :D :D :D :D :D

Back