Mid 2012 Macbook Air Issue

krbmedia

Registered
I have acquired this laptop and when I turn it on, I do hear the chime, see the apple logo, but as soon as the progress bar starts it shuts off. Even off an external drive. And the fan is loud. Any thoughts?

Have you tried both PRAM and SMC resets?
Have you tried booting to the hardware test? (Restart while holding the D key.)

Can you boot into Safe Boot mode (hold the shift key during boot)?
Try removing the SSD, then try booting to your external drive with no internal drive installed.

Ok I have tried the PRAM and i get the chimes with that, also did the SMC
I can actually run the hardware test, no issues found. Will instal lSSD drive and try again, the hardware test

And yes, it is plugged in to battery. Will try safe mode too but I am booting without internal drive to an external one I use regularly

Ok I have tried the PRAM and i get the chimes with that, also did the SMC
I can actually run the hardware test, no issues found. Will instal lSSD drive and try again, the hardware test

And yes, it is plugged in to battery. Will try safe mode too but I am booting without internal drive to an external one I use regularly

Certain cheap SSDs stop suddenly with no way to boot!

It is looking for the internal drive and not seeing it. If your external is not set up as 1st boot, you get problems. If you put an internal in, you should get the option of which one to boot to.

No because it sees it and starts booting off of it. Then the progress bar barely starts and then the fan goes loud and it shuts off.

Does the MacBook get super hot during that time? Do you have the vents clear?

Does the battery appear to be charged (tries to boot with the power adapter disconnected?)
Is there any difference if you try a boot without the power adapter connected? (fan - no fan?)

Try disconnecting the battery, and boot with only the power adapter connected.
Is there any difference, power adapter-only, or battery-only?
If the fan always kicks up right before the shutoff, you may have a sensor fault. Too bad that the diagnostic appears to not report a failure, but it's not a 100% proof that nothing is wrong. Keep in mind that test or no test, you still can't boot successfully.

I'm not too clear about one thing that you tried. Did you actually try physically removing the internal drive, then try a boot to your external (no internal drive installed)

I'm suspicious that the previous owner may have tried an interesting "mod", or perhaps there is liquid damage on the logic board? Did you give the internals a close inspection, looking for either staining, or even corrosion anywhere on the logic board?

Tried all those and no difference. fan always kicks in right before shut off. Removed internal drive, ran diagnostic test and it completed

(If you are still up to trying something else :D )
The hardware test (Diagnostics) has a hidden choice to run loops by pressing Command-L at the test start window. You will see a message appear "Looping enabled".
Testing with looping will continue to test until your stop the test. That might make heat-related issues show up.

But, I really think that there is some kind of damage on the logic board, or just simply a failure on the logic board.
If the problem is the drive controller chip, the test may not necessarily fail (depends on the issue), as the hardware test doesn't do much with the storage drive, not much more than check the physical integrity (does it exist?), but doesn't do a thorough test of the drive itself. A failure on the drive controller might simply be missed or ignored.

I hope you didn't spend too much when you got this MBAir.

Might be good if you can find out where your MBAir has been before you got it :D
Does the "gifter" know anything about it?
Did they use it? How long has it been since it worked?

Back