Might be a server/networking problem arrgh

orig_jane

Registered
Hi everyone,
I am new to all this tech support stuff, so please bear with me.

We have a G5 with OSX tiger installed, however recently it has had trouble mounting and browsing the file server (G4 with 10.3.9). There have been beachballs everywhere!

I have tried all the usual maintenance tasks, repairing disk permissions etc
But have had no joy.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for you time,
Jane

What usual maintenance tasks? Have you booted from the install DVD and used Disk Utility from there to repair the hard drive (Not permissions)?

Have you installed Onyx and deleted/cleaned caches?
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html

Try this:
Get the IP address of the G4 from its Network prefs.
On the G5, got to Finder Go menu > Connect to Server, and enter AFP://{IP address of G4}

HTH

THanks for your quick response,
I have repaired the HD from the startup disk, and used onyx for cache files, pref files and permissions.
The way you suggested to connect is our usual method of connecting.

do you have any other ideas?

Thnka once again.

Perhaps it's something with the server, and not with the desktop... ?

Are there other client machines that connect to the G4 server and do not exhibit this problem?

If the G5 is running smoothly and exhibits no problems other than the networking issue, then it may be time to do a quick inspection of the network cables and switches that the G5 is connected to, just to make sure all cables and plugs are operating normally.

Does the G5 have any trouble connecting to other computers on the network? Or does it only exhibit symptoms when connecting to the server? Does the G5 exhibit network troubles when, say, browsing the web?

As you mention it, it does have trouble connecting to other computers, i.e. via sharing,
I try to connect to it from the mac pro, it appears to be ok, then you click to browse it, and it says 'connection failed' but browsing the web appears to be ok.

All cables seem to be in place.

Cheers

Also make a test account on the affected machine and see if it has the same problem. This way you can see if it is system wide or just the User's account.

Since messaging concerning about a networking problem, I wrote a reply saying that credentials were correct logging on to the server.

I have since found that I am able to log on to the g4 server using 2 different passwords.
But i don't know how to correct this,

Can anyone help?

(sorry for misleading info in the first place)

Cheers
Jane

When logging onto the server, you're logging on using user accounts and passwords that are present on the server. However many user accounts you have set up on the server is however many user accounts you'll be able to use from the client machines to log on.

What user accounts do you have set up on the server?

According to workgroup manager, we have 7 accounts, one of which is a test.
The other 6 refer to our macs.
However within the account details there are 2 fields: 'password' & 'verify'
there appears to be an 8 char password (which is starred out). our current password isn't made up of 8 chars. Could this be a problem?

I appreciate your help in this matter, I hope I have explained ok.

(I didn't set up the server, i am fairly new to the system and company)

Thanks once again.
Jane

there appears to be an 8 char password (which is starred out). our current password isn't made up of 8 chars. Could this be a problem?

The reason the password is starred out is so that passers-by cannot see what the user accounts' passwords are.

All passwords will appear as 8 characters long, no matter whether they're 4 characters long or 40 characters long. This is normal, and it's to provide extra security. If a malicious person were to know how long a password were, it would make cracking that password a lot easier. For this reason, all passwords, once entered into those fields, will appear as 8 characters long -- but the actual password stored for that user account may not be 8 characters long. Nothing wrong there at all.

ahh, ok, I see, thank you.
Is there anyway of revealing the password, because I don't understand why the mac will let me log on to the server using 2 different passwords?

Thanks once again, and sorry to be a pain!

No, there's really no way of displaying the password. You can only change them.

When you say the server lets you log on with two different passwords, are you saying that you can use one username with two different passwords, and either combination lets you log in? Could it be that the username is both a local account (on the Mac itself), and also a user account that is on the server? This way, the local account could have one password, and the server user account could have another...

Back