Migrating to mac

rajoker

Registered
i am a hardcore windows user and want to migrate to mac how easy it would be for me ? and can i get softwares for mac easily like windows

Have you ever used the Mac before? If not, I would recommend heading over to the Apple Store and test drive a system. Consider that you're using a computer that is being used by everyone so expect some issues from other users (the ol' ID-10T and PEBKAC issue :p). But at least this way you can get a feel for OS X and the Macintosh.

As for software availability, I guess you can say that Windows has more software available for it but how much of that software is actually useful? The majority of the stuff out there is a rehashing of a major product that actually has a Macintosh equivalent, sometimes from the same company that makes the popular product. Same thing when it comes to games, but this one doesn't hold as much water. Even still, the top billing games usually have a Macintosh port, even a Linux port.

As for general usage, anything that you'll find on the Windows side you'll find on the Mac side. Be it a direct port or a great equivalent to what's available on Windows, you'll find it for the Mac especially if it's an open source application.

One thing to note: Don't treat OS X like you would Windows. If you expect to use OS X like you use Windows you'll be extremely frustrated. If you want Windows, stick with it. Otherwise, open yourself to the way of doing things on the Mac. This is what I've done with Windows and Linux considering that I started on the Mac, and I've learned a lot from all the platforms to make a well-balanced decision about each of them. ;)

thanks nix in fact i myself was thinking of test driving a mac befor buying it.
one more thing i am a graphic designer apart from a few command changes will there be any major issues while designing . and can mac softwares be cracked?

Asking about illegally circumventing copy protection isn't something that's discussed here. Read the board rules concerning piracy, p2p and other illegal activities.

If you are a graphic designer, then you will be happy to know that the entire Macromedia MX/2004 suite is available for Macintosh, as well as Adobe's Creative Suite and QuarkXPress. Font support is top-notch with software like LinoType FontExplorer X.

If you have valid licenses for your software on your PC (which is questionable, since you asked about cracking), then you may want to inquire with the makers of the software about a "cross-grade" license -- meaning, you exchange your Windows software for the Macintosh counterpart for a reduced price.

Oooh, big mistake. :eek: Asking about illegal software or downloads is against the board rules here...you're not going to find that kind of help. You might want to look at purchasing copies of said software for the Mac, or see about a possible discount to replace the discs (doesn't hurt to ask). If you can't afford it, you might want to look at open source solutions that might be able to do the job for you.

rajoker said:
i am a hardcore windows user and want to migrate to mac how easy it would be for me ? and can i get softwares for mac easily like windows

Look at sites like VersionTracker and/or MacUpdate to get most all software and also see when software is released on the Mac.

Also there are several prices in the real world to get Mac software. Then there is always the readily available web stores. Just ask around and look for the best prices on Mac software you want plus ask us here for some real good stores.

Perhaps you are familiar with the O'Reilly Press Missing Manual series?

Well there happens to one especially for "switchers". I highly recommend it. That will step you through the "here's how you do it in Windows, and here's how you do it on a Mac."

Also there is this at the main Apple site.

guys, guys, i am also against piracy but since i am shiting from windows to mac all my licenced softwares which i purchased for my very hard earned money go to waste tha is why i was trying to look for such things nevertheless i am still thinking about it , thanks for everybodys advice and comments.

A lot of companies offer "crossgrades", meaning you can exchange your Windows CDs/DVDs for Macintosh CDs/DVDs for substantially reduced prices. It would be beneficial to check with the vendor to see if they offer something like this -- as long as the company offers a Macintosh version of the software you have (Adobe, Macromedia, Quark, etc. all have dual-platform software).

I would highly recommend doing that over trying to pirate the Macintosh version of the software. You paid for the Windows software, and got a good amount of use out of it -- the switch to Macintosh involves a lot of money, including upgrading/crossgrading the software you own in addition to the cost of the machine and the learning curve. Hey, when you buy a new car and your custom wheels from your old car don't fit the new one, can you just steal a set of new wheels that do fit since you paid for the old ones? ;)

Hey I am moving over to Mac with no problems! I started about 2 months ago. There are alternatives for almost everything, or even better still natives of what you use on your PC - Adobe, Macromedia, Office etc. It is easy to move. But you will have to learn the ways of the force my son.

Okay the cost is part of the problem I agree. I have spent a few quid. You do have to start from scratch. But what I have done is buy a G4 Mini. Pretty cheap. And only bought new Mac software I liked as I learned the platform. So slowly buying it up. You won't need it all at once as you will have to learn OS X first. Believe me the first boot up you will be almost crying at how little you know and then smiling as a cool feature appears. But slowly it begins to make sense. Although I had to buy books and do courses on vtc.com.

I was/am a "hardcore" windows user and I am sold on Mac. I am just waiting for the Intel Power Mac to come along to buy a proper Mac. The Mini is only a learning tool which it is good at. But as you progress it starts to let you down big time. But it was not deigned as a PC replacement. I have a top of the range PC here it can hardly compete with it's hardware.

Oh yeah I have had to re-skill in many areas. Many concepts carry thankfully, but I have been hammering vtc.com to learn what I need to know.

So I have done it. I now know Windows, Linux and Mac OSX to pretty good level. My favourite is OS X. I am hanging on to the others though just in case. But for day to day work I am moving to OS X. So my PC and Linux boxes will be scant of software and money spent on them in time.

So moving to Mac is great fun and I just like the fact so much stress is gone from computing. Linux and Windows are far more stressful platforms IMO to work with than OS X.

Just do it, you won't get any sleep until you have a Mac lol....

rajoker said:
guys, guys, i am also against piracy but since i am shiting from windows to mac all my licenced softwares which i purchased for my very hard earned money go to waste tha is why i was trying to look for such things nevertheless i am still thinking about it , thanks for everybodys advice and comments.
You can sell your Windows software to other users to help defray the cost of any Mac version you have to buy.

Chris

rajoker: You may want to first keep the Windows box around and then when you have you Mac use the excellent free software (ironically from Microsoft) Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. It surprisingly actually works when set up properly. This will give you the flexibility to use the Windows only software, while still on your new Mac.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
when you buy a new car and your custom wheels from your old car don't fit the new one, can you just steal a set of new wheels that do fit since you paid for the old ones? ;)
well,..um yeah

you can, if thats how you roll.

As for the issue,.. if you get a new intel imac, you can boot xp and use all your old windows software until you can get the necessary mac equivalents.

stizz's law - mentioning piracy in a mac thread is akin to godwin's law and the mention of hitler.

don't forget the new Macs can run windows, too. So you could always buy a mac, and use Windows for all the apps you have bought while you save for the mac equivallents. So, in the beginning you may be using mac 20% of the time and windows 80%, but slowly as you build your software library you would use windows less and less.

@Satcomer
I had a look at that video out of curiosity. very well done but that cheesy music made me laugh!!!

Thank The Cheese said:
don't forget the new Macs can run windows, too. So you could always buy a mac, and use Windows for all the apps you have bought while you save for the mac equivallents. So, in the beginning you may be using mac 20% of the time and windows 80%, but slowly as you build your software library you would use windows less and less.

I have loaded XP on my iMac Dual Core. It works well. So that's my suggestioon too. Dual boot until you can afford to replace all your Windows apps.

rajoker said:

You don't have to get rid of your windows software. See the boot camp threads, or head over to Apples site and check it out. You can install and boot XP on a mac. Not too difficult thanks to Apple releasing software to make it possible.

In a nutshell, you get a mac, with a kick *** OS, and you can install XP and whatever apps you need from it. So....really, you have nothing to lose by moving over to a mac. (except the entry price on buying a mac).

Back