Mount a firewire hd from another mac

3mors

HampCake Studios
I've tried to mount on my powermac a firewire hd connected to my powerbook and the system mounts it in readonly mode.

I've also tried to do it on my powerbook with a firewire hd connected to my powermac and the result is the same, so it's not a permissions problem but it seems correct.

Why?

Select the icon for the firewire drive, then press Command+I, find Ownership and Permissions in the Info window and check the box labeled "Ignore ownership on this volume."

Is it possible to share mounted volumes, no matter if firewire hdd or CDs, to the network? If so, does it just work between macs or is it possible to share mounted volumes for windows clients too?

perfessor101 said:
Select the icon for the firewire drive, then press Command+I, find Ownership and Permissions in the Info window and check the box labeled "Ignore ownership on this volume."

i try when i go home ... :)

Zammy-Sam said:
Is it possible to share mounted volumes, no matter if firewire hdd or CDs, to the network? If so, does it just work between macs or is it possible to share mounted volumes for windows clients too?

sure, why not?
use SMB (windows sharing)

didn't work. The only volume I found was actually just my home directory. I have another disc partition which was also hidden in the network. Is that a question of ownerships? And what if I mess with those? Any security issues?

So 3mors did you get it to work ?

I mount my firewire drive (plugged into my iMac) to my iBook over my LAN every day without problems.

not yet, michael :)

i have my powerbook far from my powermac ;)
today i try when i go home.

sorry for my delay, michaelsanford

i had no connection in these days

i've checked firewire prefs and "ignore ownership on this volume" was already skipped.

seems that u can't write on firewire volume mounted from network

When you connect to the computer sharing the FireWire drive over the network, are you logging in with the administrator account that is defined on the computer sharing the FireWire drive?

I've experienced this same problem. I keep my MP3's on my firewire drive and although I can share my lirbary with my computers in the house in itunes, I can't point the other itunes library to a mounted Firewire drive on my G4.

My belief in that problem is that its formatted for FAT32. I'm going to back some things up to my bottomless pit and then reformat to EFS+ and see what happens.Perhaps I won't experience the dataloss either.

Let me know how this pans out or if there is a work around. I've tried the permissions thing. I've tried setting up the volume and creating other acocunts for people to log in and see it. No luck.

my firewire hard disk is HFS+ and I have same behaviour with another HFS+ disk, so i really don't know where the problem is....

I often connect to the firewire drive on my G4 MDD from my iBook using ethernet and there is absolutely no problem. The only thing I can think of, is when I access the G4, I connect using the same username and password as the active user account on the G4. One interesting feature is although I connect to the drive containing my user folder I have full admin user access to everything but my own user folder. I have to specifically connect to the user folder to access files contained there.

Back