MS Access to MySQL

axis27

Registered
Hi. Not sure where to post this. Does anyone know of OS X software (preferably freeware/shareware) that I can use to convert an MS Access database to MySQL?

There's not much, if any, software on Mac OS X that will read or write an Access database -- Access is a proprietary format by Microsoft that's been pretty devoid of converters or readers on the Mac side of things.

Best bet would be to temporarily gain access to a PC with Access and export the database into a format better readable on the Mac.

The only thing I could find to allow you to read a Access database w/o involving a PC was this ODBC driver. It is supposed to have full SQL query access but no write access. Costs a little bit of cash, but if you absolutely can't use a PC this will help you get your data out, given you know SQL.

Putting the data back into a MySQL database might prove a little more tricky if you don't know how to program, but if you do, I couldn't see it being too complicated of a program. Also, even with 1337 programming skills, copying over the design of the database could prove to be a real PITA. Even if there are ways to query the definition of tables with access you would still have to convert that definition to use MySQL syntax. It probably would be easier to just manually recreate the tables, then programatically copy the data.

... so yea... it's possible, with the right resources. I doubt you will find anything to do exactly what you want though, for the same reasons that ElDiabloConCaca mentioned.

I would have access output the database as .csv and then read the .csv program. I saw a free utility to convert .csv to mysql but I don't remember what its called.

Back