Munix hacked? Valid files for install of Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen to a few security podcasts (PaulDotCom Security Weekly is one) and they've NEVER mentioned anything other than the ARD issue (which has been all over the tech news sites). Beyond that, anything that is being described would have been discussed and exposed. We live in a global village now, and information is more readily available than ever before, so even 0day exploits are known about very quickly. Patching them takes longer, of course.

Like EDCC said, all that could be done over a forum has been done. At this point, it's a matter of contacting a security professional and having that security professional examine the system. Mind you, this will not be cheap....security professionals charge quite a bit for their expertise.

I still stick by my opinion that those in question are claiming that the sky is falling due to lack of knowledge, and are just trying to cover that up by sprinkling jargon in their posts. I'm sorry if that offends, but we've been going on a wild goose chase here.

BTW, I just did a search for the "Big Book of Apple Hacks". Here's what Amazon says about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Apple-Hacks-unlocking/dp/0596529821

Product Description
Bigger in size, longer in length, broader in scope, and even more useful than our original Mac OS X Hacks, the new Big Book of Apple Hacks offers a grab bag of tips, tricks and hacks to get the most out of Mac OS X Leopard, as well as the new line of iPods, iPhone, and Apple TV.

With 125 entirely new hacks presented in step-by-step fashion, this practical book is for serious Apple computer and gadget users who really want to take control of these systems. Many of the hacks take you under the hood and show you how to tweak system preferences, alter or add keyboard shortcuts, mount drives and devices, and generally do things with your operating system and gadgets that Apple doesn't expect you to do. The Big Book of Apple Hacks gives you:

• Hacks for both Mac OS X Leopard and Tiger, their related applications, and the hardware they run on or connect to
  • Expanded tutorials and lots of background material, including informative sidebars
  • "Quick Hacks" for tweaking system and gadget settings in minutes
  • Full-blown hacks for adjusting Mac OS X applications such as Mail, Safari, iCal, Front Row, or the iLife suite
  • Plenty of hacks and tips for the Mac mini, the MacBook laptops, and new Intel desktops
  • Tricks for running Windows on the Mac, under emulation in Parallels or as a standalone OS with Bootcamp

The Big Book of Apple Hacks is not only perfect for Mac fans and power users, but also for recent -- and aspiring -- "switchers" new to the Apple experience. Hacks are arranged by topic for quick and easy lookup, and each one stands on its own so you can jump around and tweak whatever system or gadget strikes your fancy. Pick up this book and take control of Mac OS X and your favorite Apple gadget today!

All this book is about is how to maximize the use of the Mac hardware and apps that run on it, which leads me to call BS on the posters. To claim such knowledge and not realize that "hack" means "finding ways to do things with hardware/software that were not originally intended by the creator" and not "pwning yer 'puter" leads me to believe that we are officially wasting our time. If not, then as was mentioned take it to a security professional and make yourself famous.

Are we done now??? :rolleyes:

I listen to a few security podcasts (PaulDotCom Security Weekly is one) and they've NEVER mentioned anything other than the ARD issue (which has been all over the tech news sites). Beyond that, anything that is being described would have been discussed and exposed. We live in a global village now, and information is more readily available than ever before, so even 0day exploits are known about very quickly. Patching them takes longer, of course.

Like EDCC said, all that could be done over a forum has been done. At this point, it's a matter of contacting a security professional and having that security professional examine the system. Mind you, this will not be cheap....security professionals charge quite a bit for their expertise.

I still stick by my opinion that those in question are claiming that the sky is falling due to lack of knowledge, and are just trying to cover that up by sprinkling jargon in their posts. I'm sorry if that offends, but we've been going on a wild goose chase here.

BTW, I just did a search for the "Big Book of Apple Hacks". Here's what Amazon says about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Apple-Hacks-unlocking/dp/0596529821

All this book is about is how to maximize the use of the Mac hardware and apps that run on it, which leads me to call BS on the posters. To claim such knowledge and not realize that "hack" means "finding ways to do things with hardware/software that were not originally intended by the creator" and not "pwning yer 'puter" leads me to believe that we are officially wasting our time. If not, then as was mentioned take it to a security professional and make yourself famous.

Are we done now??? :rolleyes:

are you done now is the question because i am not, i am still dealing with this situation - it infected my f4 and my macbook (mac replaced right away), my iphone (mac replaced it as well but i havent activated it yet) and my work pc which i got fired for not sure why.

have you read the book? no you havent.

there are other more shady things that of course are not mentioned in the description of the book and that you have mentioned in your post and on the more hush hushes of hacks regarding what you can do to others - remote control, viewing users through their isight, etc. etc. etc.

the last message i received from the person who gave me this virus said "i will forever be in your home". i am not paranoid, i am not going to allow this to be forever in my home because i am in search of someone who is interested and capable. if you are not one of the people who pave the path then you are merely following a path that has been paved for you. i would prefer to speak to the person actually paving the path as i have experienced too many of "you" throughout my computer travels. you sound no different from anyone else with blinders on. no offense, but writing this off as ridiculous is not the way to make progress in a field that has potential beyond our understanding. if we wrote everything off as that, think of where we would be - no where.

do you believe that there are anomalies happening that you are unaware of or mind boggling to you? if not, maybe you should have a look at that.

i dont have the money for a super security master, that is why i look for information on the internet, there are a lot of people out there who like to help others, i am one of them and the main reason i wanted to post was because i have been in the situation of the guy that no one believes and i know how lonely and mentally damaging it can be at the beginning.... until the truth comes out, then everyone apologizes for not believing you when you were having the experience. that has happened to me every time i have discovered something on the newer side of virus detection including my first cell phone virus a few years ago before it came out to the public. i honestly thought i was going crazy.... but i wasnt. and am not now.

so no, i dont accept any of what you said to be of value and it seems you are speaking for everyone else as well... no it is not only hardware related as i said. by posting i am looking for the person who is interested in learning more then what they already think they know. isnt that what we are after... the quest for knowledge. if youre not, then what is your function?

if there is anyone who is prepared to infect them with the virus that i have mentioned, i would happy to give you the website for you to give it a go... if you are in fact as sure as you think you are, i would be very interested to find out your thoughts and diagnosis of the virus i am speaking of. just say the word. or if anyone else would like to infect themselves and attempt to figure out its potential and try to kill it that would be great. but my warning is that it is much more sophisticated then you think (unless it is only targeting me 24 hrs a day, but i dont think i am that interesting) i would love to be proved wrong in my assessments of it.

AND, who would ever want to be famous for a virus in any way shape or form? not i.

i wonder why it make you mad or frustrated when someone adds to the conversation please answer this as i am very curious as to the answer? if you cant help, then why respond? i have in no way meant to upset or anger you with either of my post.

i hope there is someone who would be willing to check this virus out.

Anyone else, i am still looking for help on this subject... if i cant find it here i will be happy to move on. Thank you very much!!

Oh for the love of everything holy or not, close and remove this thread already! As I said early on, these people are either trolls or have serious psychiatric issues, it is not Mac-related. Let's put this to rest now.

Seriously, just take the mac to the Apple store and get a one of the geniuses at the bar to help you out. There is nothing more we can do from the confines of a forum. This will be the last post I make in this thread as the people coming up with problems do not ... lets not even go there.

Just bring it in to a shop, and get someone to look at it.

are you done now is the question because i am not, i am still dealing with this situation - it infected my f4 and my macbook (mac replaced right away), my iphone (mac replaced it as well but i havent activated it yet) and my work pc which i got fired for not sure why.

have you read the book? no you havent.

there are other more shady things that of course are not mentioned in the description of the book and that you have mentioned in your post and on the more hush hushes of hacks regarding what you can do to others - remote control, viewing users through their isight, etc. etc. etc.

the last message i received from the person who gave me this virus said "i will forever be in your home". i am not paranoid, i am not going to allow this to be forever in my home because i am in search of someone who is interested and capable. if you are not one of the people who pave the path then you are merely following a path that has been paved for you. i would prefer to speak to the person actually paving the path as i have experienced too many of "you" throughout my computer travels. you sound no different from anyone else with blinders on. no offense, but writing this off as ridiculous is not the way to make progress in a field that has potential beyond our understanding. if we wrote everything off as that, think of where we would be - no where.

do you believe that there are anomalies happening that you are unaware of or mind boggling to you? if not, maybe you should have a look at that.

i dont have the money for a super security master, that is why i look for information on the internet, there are a lot of people out there who like to help others, i am one of them and the main reason i wanted to post was because i have been in the situation of the guy that no one believes and i know how lonely and mentally damaging it can be at the beginning.... until the truth comes out, then everyone apologizes for not believing you when you were having the experience. that has happened to me every time i have discovered something on the newer side of virus detection including my first cell phone virus a few years ago before it came out to the public. i honestly thought i was going crazy.... but i wasnt. and am not now.

so no, i dont accept any of what you said to be of value and it seems you are speaking for everyone else as well... no it is not only hardware related as i said. by posting i am looking for the person who is interested in learning more then what they already think they know. isnt that what we are after... the quest for knowledge. if youre not, then what is your function?

if there is anyone who is prepared to infect them with the virus that i have mentioned, i would happy to give you the website for you to give it a go... if you are in fact as sure as you think you are, i would be very interested to find out your thoughts and diagnosis of the virus i am speaking of. just say the word. or if anyone else would like to infect themselves and attempt to figure out its potential and try to kill it that would be great. but my warning is that it is much more sophisticated then you think (unless it is only targeting me 24 hrs a day, but i dont think i am that interesting) i would love to be proved wrong in my assessments of it.

AND, who would ever want to be famous for a virus in any way shape or form? not i.

i wonder why it make you mad or frustrated when someone adds to the conversation please answer this as i am very curious as to the answer? if you cant help, then why respond? i have in no way meant to upset or anger you with either of my post.

i hope there is someone who would be willing to check this virus out.

Anyone else, i am still looking for help on this subject... if i cant find it here i will be happy to move on. Thank you very much!!

Here's a thought (and it will be my last one). Contact Apple directly about your problem. Speak to someone there in detail about your problem. Send an e-mail to Steve Jobs himself if you need to (I hear it actually works). If in fact you and all of the other posters regarding this problem are in fact having a problem, make it known to them. Go to the source with this problem. We here are not the source and have given all of the help we can...READ ALL OF THE THREAD IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE ME, DON'T JUST SKIM IT! As has been said ad nauseum already, the answers you're looking for go beyond the scope of this forum....ANY forum for that matter. These problems need hands-on action if they're actually real, and getting Apple involved would be one way to do so.

So again, are we done? Guess what...I am for sure.

I would love to have the chance to check out this virus/trojan/hack/whatever... please send me the website address and I'll thoroughly check it out.

Email is eldiabloconqueso@sbcglobal.net. I anxiously await your email.

I hope this was said facetiously... there are many, many, many, many, many people out there who write viruses specifically to have their egos stroked.

There are "hacker's rings" that do nothing but collaborate on how to write viruses, and the best way to release those viruses so that their group of programmers/hackers gets the most notoriety. There are even "wars" between competing virus writing groups over who wrote what first, who's virus had the most impact, who's virus was most widespread, etc. They all sit around and bask in the glory of notoriety.

Failing to see this is an extreme shortcoming. Just because you wouldn't do it for the fame doesn't mean that it's absurd to think that someone else would.

Do you think "I will forever be in your home" is hacking you because your family photos are like a goldmine to him/her? Do you think they really want your Word document cake recipe files that bad? What data of value do you store on your hard drive that a hacker would want that bad?

i just wanted to let that guy know he wasn't crazy... i wish someone would have told me that a long time ago. ill kill my viruses on my own. thanks.

I hope this was said facetiously... there are many, many, many, many, many people out there who write viruses specifically to have their egos stroked.

There are "hacker's rings" that do nothing but collaborate on how to write viruses, and the best way to release those viruses so that their group of programmers/hackers gets the most notoriety. There are even "wars" between competing virus writing groups over who wrote what first, who's virus had the most impact, who's virus was most widespread, etc. They all sit around and bask in the glory of notoriety.

Failing to see this is an extreme shortcoming. Just because you wouldn't do it for the fame doesn't mean that it's absurd to think that someone else would.

Do you think "I will forever be in your home" is hacking you because your family photos are like a goldmine to him/her? Do you think they really want your Word document cake recipe files that bad? What data of value do you store on your hard drive that a hacker would want that bad?
i know... i find viruses incredibly intriguing although i would have preferred to analyze them in a controlled environment... perhaps a clean room with a hazmat suit.

oh well, you get what you ask for and it seems i asked for it with out even knowing... didnt someone say "never accept gifts from strangers".

im sure they probably enjoyed my picture collection, now sitting on a myspace page somewhere with a 24 hr web cam of me sitting in front of my computer with an occasional easter egg thrown in on accident. other than that im not sure... i guess i am just fascinating.

Just a reminder, I'm still waiting for your email with the supposed virus website. I am extremely interested in checking it out, and it would help this thread's credibility immensely if we could have some source of the problems.

all i know is what my momma told me // all i know is what she said

when beelzibub is sneaking up on you // you best be dancin' on his head.

Do the devil stomp!!!!!!

;)

im nervous to give you the web site for some reason... i try to avoid getting in trouble and i have no way of knowing i wouldnt if i give it to you.

I gave you my email address. Send it to me. There's no law against sending me an email with the website that you suspect infected you with a virus, especially since I requested you send it to me for troubleshooting/research purposes.

eldiabloconqueso@sbcglobal.net

Your offering to send it to me, then backtracking on your word makes your claims look less plausible. If you want us to believe and help you, just send the damn website and let's get on with this shindig.

He/She never sent me the link. In fact, I haven't heard from CuteCari since -- neither on this forum, nor via email.

I'm starting to think, "bogus."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back