MWSF - Apple sets expectations high

Apple hardware is not high end, it's just expensive
It is high end in quite a few respects.

Same for G4... even 2 G4 don't beat the fastest Pentium, and the Pentium is less expensive
???

This is plainly untrue. Wassup ?
I entirely dissagree. Wonder where you testd those dual G4s against the "fatest pentium" (surpressing giggles).
:confused:

I know my claims are aggressive, and may not be completely true in every single case, but... please Apple demonstrate me the opposite.

Look in any technical paper for comparisons between Mac speed and PC speed on any regular operation. You will not find many operations tat are faster on Mac.

Now understand me correctly, it doesn't mean the Mac is bad. It means that the Mac strengths are somewhere else. Anyhow, any processor today is much faster than needed for most operations. Only some very heavy graphics and games may require more than the capabilities of our current CPU. Even my 300 MHz G3 is strong enough for most usage. So working on software and services is far more important than hardware acceleration. And even a 2GHz G5 will not look sexy enough for me after the Apple advertisement. I want a new software... new services... something different... a revolution !

Chevy is completely correct. While a dual g4 can outperform a top end Pentium in some catagories, for the most part it is slower.

It goes without saying that a dual g4 can not outperform a dual Athlon setup (1900+) in anything.

I love macs too, but I wouldn't choose them for the massively parallel supercomputer I will use to take over the world. Now where the hell is Pinky? (Cartoon reference for those of you didn't get it)

The G4 is still 'king' in vector unit enhanced floating point, but AMD's latest offerings narrow the gap so thin, it doesn't matter. However, if Motorola could get G4s running at the same speed, or even better, the G5... well, let's just say AMD and Intel would look rather slow. One of the things that held Motorola back is the desire for low-power, low-heat chips. The time required to spawn chips at the clock speeds of AMD/Intel is longer, but you get a better overall chip out of it. Hell, fanless laptops are a result of this... and you don't even have to turn down the clock speed when disconnected from a power supply. (Most laptops rated 1Ghz or faster in the PC market actually run at about 700Mhz when off a battery, if you want to or not)

What I really hope for is that this 'ground-breaking' expo revamps the entire product line with some really nice changes. The design could be tweaked a bit (I actually like the current PBG4 design myself), but I want to see some major revamping of the internals. Rumors were awash awhile back of a new bus running at 400Mhz with the ability to push over 12GB/sec. Something like that would give a great boost to the performance of the machine, especially if DDR RAM was used. :cool:

OK, that's just plain cruel.

"Beyond the Rumor Sites. Way Beyond."

It gets worse as the days progress! I hope Apple knows what they are doing, because we can be a tough crowd.

There's only one thing I want, and that's a major freaking fast CPU. I don't need an all-in-one iMac flat panel thing (though, that's cool if other people want it). And I don't want digital lifestyle hub of my universe stuff (though the iPod is really growing on me, I may just give in on that little bugger).

I want to elminate the word "render" from my vocabulary. I want to never again say "launch", since it implies an action that takes time. I want my machine to never again form the pixel animation of a rotating beach ball. I want it all instantly.

Having said that, I would agree with a former post that many machines in existence are good enough for many typical tasks. It is my belief that we are at the top of a hill of computer sales that will gradually decline until nobody needs a new machine for the rest of their lives.

Mindbend I've been saying that for years. I can't wait for the day when computers will be instantous. Click, blink, its there. However the time when we will no longer need to buy new computers is still decades away:( It probably won't come until we get qauntum 'smart' computers, but by then we will all be gone:(

As JohnnyV noted... quantum computing may be the end... but those won't be good for linear processes.. and things like rendering. So for those of us who will drive for one hundred trillion trillion polygons per second and a googoflop (terraflop, move over!). We want that to be able to play quake 18 arena and have somebody's body splatter so realistically that you slip on bits.

Never will the personal computer market be obsolete, after all.. who would be there to make the iPoof and Carbon Fiber Composite .1 inch thick PowerBook G27.34 — (and do we think intel will give up on it's profits??? :) )

But if it ever does happen, at least Apple's won't break after a year of usage!!!

happy macworld,
graham

This sounds like a pot induced hallucination, but is within the realm of possibility that Apple will introduce new boxes running on AMD or Intel chips? It should be possible and what with the production issues from Motorola and IBM it does sound intriguing to me. I guess the only thing that brings me back to reality is the megahertz myth business. I don't know, but that would be crazy. I'd probably freak out. Think about the millions of curious PC users out there who would give a shot, that's all it would take really.
It's a silly idea. OK, I'm shutting up now.
Peace,
B.

hehe.. I think many of us would question reality that day.. and play a damn lot of Quake, +some bloody mods...

that wouldn't be thinking very differently would it?

graham

I wonder why this message posted twice? Huh. So I'm late to the party on the Intel/AMD speculation. Now what about a partnership with Sony. I've read that around. It would make some sense. I don't think that's it either.
I'm still a little put off my Epson's slow show of support. Course, I have terrible luck picking a printer that will withstand several upgrades. I had the Apple ColorStyleWriter 4100. The OS 9 update took over 6 months. By that time I had already purchased the Epson 850N. The joke is definitely on me. Then there's the fact that ATI and Apple are flipping me off on drivers for an already middleweight video card (PowerBook G3 384RAM).
Done ranting.
I've been caught up in the hype since menu items became sticky.
I thought that was pretty dammed neat.

Back