MWSF Official Thread

We don't know yet...

Apple only just updated the iBook, so one might think that they're not going to do anything with it for a while (like they did with the 15" TiBook), but they have upped things in the past just before introducing something new. Although something as big as making the iBook a G4 probably will last a while before Apple announces a G5 iBook, or some such other something. (Ah, ambiguity. :D)

Unlikely they'll update the iBook just yet.

They still talk about the 'New G4 iBooks' on the front page of at least the Aussie site. Usually when they update, the Australian site won't have front page ads for the product for at least 2 months before an update.

More likely iMac processor speed bump, G5 speed bump, possibly AirPort Extreme with a higher encyption, or range, maybe the release of a new iApp, though I don't know what else they could design... but they've surprised us many times before.

I'm going to go, don't know what day and only to exhibition hall, anything els is too expensive.
I just got an iSight for xmas, but wouldn't it be nice if it was wireless over bluetooth? I have it on my powerbook and I only have one firewire 400 port so if I want to plug in my new iPod (also a xmas gift) I have to disconnect my iSight. I guess i could get a firewire 800 to 400 adaptor.

Viktor

No, iSight would suck if it were wireless over Bluetooth. It needs a 600 Mhz G3 with Firewire or better to generate the kind of image quality that it does. If it connected with Bluetooth, the picture would be the size of our avatars.

You should get that Firewire hub that's shaped like Godzilla. That thing is cool, and you can make people laugh when they see it. :)

chevy said:
My suggestions....

Quicktime Movie Store - you can either rent or buy movies in DVD quality or at various levels of quality for those with low bandwidth. This would boost purchases of high end Macs and broadband connections. This would be something available only to those who upgrade to Quicktime Pro, so this would spur more upgraders to Quicktime Pro. With the same owner rights as the ITMS, including being able to burn your movies to DVD-R discs (more Superdrive sales).

Built in GPRS/EDGE cellular data modem in Power Macs Another technology accelerator: This would accelerate the upgrade cell phone networks to EDGE and be a nice feature for mobile business users. However you can do this now with a bluetooth phone and a Mac with either bluetooth built-in or with the USB bluetooth add-on.

Enterprise XServe - An XServe with Power3 or Power4 chips (4 and 8 way). Also a XServe blade server using low power G5's, if they are not already capable of fitting within a blade form factor.

Applie iOffice with integrated Inkwell - To beat MS Office this would have to seamlessly integrate with iLife and Quicktime and be fully interoperable with MS Office (including full MS Exchanger Server). Also will have to enable using Inkwell for tablet applications. Also they should push Inkwell to Adobe, Macormedia, and other CAD, graphics, and art oriented ISV's as an alternative to Windows XP Tablet PC Ink technology.

QT Movie Store - Not in 2004, I'd say...
GPRS/EDGE in PowerMacs - You might mean PowerBOOKS, rather, as I don't need mobile internet in a stationary desktop machine. For PowerBooks: I don't think so.
Xserve Power3/Power4 - Don't see that, either. Let's have a G5 or two in there, first. And get some market share...
iOffice/Inkwell etc. - I see a wordprocessor. I see Apple moving forward slowly there. Promoting Inkwell to Adobe, Macromedia etc.? I don't see that - and it already works. You can enter text in TextEdit via Inkwell, btw.

fryke said:
QT Movie Store - Not in 2004, I'd say...
I think this would be a nice high end feature for people with cable modems and big harddrives, or at least for those with the money to purchase such things. I think it's doable now.

fryke said:
GPRS/EDGE in PowerMacs - You might mean PowerBOOKS, rather, as I don't need mobile internet in a stationary desktop machine. For PowerBooks: I don't think so.

What if you lived in "Po-dunk", Montana or the Sudan or some other underdeveloped region of the world where a cable or phone line is not as prelevant as a cell phone hook up? That's where that technology would be helpful. If not GPRS/EDGE then WiMax.

fryke said:
Xserve Power3/Power4 - Don't see that, either. Let's have a G5 or two in there, first. And get some market share...

If not an enterprise server, then they should come out with blade servers with the G5, heck IBM has.

fryke said:
iOffice/Inkwell etc. - I see a wordprocessor. I see Apple moving forward slowly there. Promoting Inkwell to Adobe, Macromedia etc.? I don't see that - and it already works. You can enter text in TextEdit via Inkwell, btw.

Being able to import your Inkwell data as a TIFF image is not the same technology as the Tablet PC Ink technology. I think Apple should make Inkwell the Tablet PC killer technology that it could be, esp if it integrates well with multimedia production applications, which at this point Tablet PC Ink does not. I see this as a easy thing to do for Apple given their ISV relationships with Adobe, Macromedia and other graphics/multimedia and CAD software companies. If they further integrate Inkwell with Keynote this year, that would be nice.

QT movie store may be doable now, but that doesn't mean its marketable now. The cost of supporting it at this stage would far outweigh any revenue to be made. However, that said, Apple has often tried to be the first with a new technology even when they know its not profitable, simply so they can have the market.

XServe: A G5 X-Serve sounds like a reasonable next step. I doubt we'll see blades, though, because Apple's philosophy is strongly against making products that require special, expert handling. The X-Serve is a set and forget machine that any halfway competent network administrator could set up, even without server hardware experience. I think they'll keep it that way.

As for iOffice, this seems like a realistic possibility. Of course, we'll have to wait for the "just one more thing" eh?

Arden, my brother got one it's cool but I need some thing more functional on my over crowded desk. As for wireless iSight, that is true bluetooth is to slow but it would work over airport extreme.

Are we going to meet-up at the expo?

Viktor

malexgreen said:
Enterprise XServe - An XServe with Power3 or Power4 chips (4 and 8 way). Also a XServe blade server using low power G5's, if they are not already capable of fitting within a blade form factor.

IBM is (and has been for months now) using 1.6ghz PPC970 chips in it's own blade servers (dual at that) so it's very possible.

My thoughts (possibilities):

* G5 XServes (or speed bumps at least for the G4, been too long)
* iMac speed bumps
* G5 PowerMac speed bumps
* Redesign on iPod (maybe not now, but a future thing for sure...with a easily replaceable battery <G>)

bobw said:
Well, now I have to go. Thanks for the link. :) What are we supposed to do with it, though? Print it out and hand it to them when we show up at the door? Register online with a certain code?

iMan, we can meet up if you go on Friday... that's the only day I don't have school.

The G5 blades from IBM have been _announced_. They're not in the market 'for months now', btw.

They were announced back around October, and have been orderable since November.

I've been in contact with a sales rep at IBM since then (had I ordered them then, they'd been here in mid December) pending a decision on the technology front at the office, as to purchasing two of them for a d-base/mining project we're working on. As soon as we decide which systems (software) to use, we're goning to buy the hardware. Seems like recent news says we're going with Sybase or Oracle (thank god it isn't M$), so I'm pretty well set on the JS20 unless Apple 'makes magic' with the XServe and a G5.

I think this would be a nice high end feature for people with cable modems and big harddrives, or at least for those with the money to purchase such things. I think it's doable now.
I highly doubt this would happen Steve Jobs said in a Rolling Stone Article (i believe) that downloading movies now does not offer instant gratification like .mp3's do ...sorry aac's (that doesnt sound as cool) :D

i'm not going (of course not.. Belgium you know..)

But of course i will keep MacOSX.com users who aren't able to watch the stream updated about new products, just like i did with the previous Keynote! :)

Back