MWSF Official Thread

Read on another site (or was told? can't remember now) that the 2" HD would be housed in a new case, making the mini-iPod smaller with less capacity.

The eMac is ugly and appears outdated compared to the FP iMac line. There probably won't be a new consumer Mac announcement at MWSF. But since I want to get one for my nieces, I can hope.

Why is everyone hating the eMac? It's a great computer, and it looks better than the original iMac. It even performed a little better than the G4 iMac in Macworld's reviews.

Well, I guess that's a matter of taste, Arden, and sadly you don't have any. ;-) (j/k) ... I'd say the eMac is "nice enough" for an affordable Mac, but not really for an Apple product. I'd rather see Apple make an iMac with an even smaller screen (i.e. getting rid of the CRT in the eMac). A really compact one. Look at the space an iBook needs, then translate that in a really compact new eMac.

I like the eMac, I'd just really love to see it at about $600. It'd be easier to convince a whole series of people I know to upgrade then...

sinnwell said:
Flash iPods would be sweet, too bad most of the rumormills still have the iPod update predicted at the 1" or 1.8" HDs.

New iPods with flash memory could cost as much as HD-based iPod depending on the configuration--a 1GB iPod using flash memory would cost as much as a 30GB iPod and a 2GB iPod using flash memory would cost as much as a 40GB iPod to manufacture--who, then, would buy them?

Wish you all a Happy New Year!

! ! ! MacWorld Expo tomorrow ! ! !

Best Regards,
George Lien

It would make sense to abandon the eMac in its current form factor, because it now is the only CRT Mac they offer. On the other hand, LCD's are more expensive, so maybe they wouldn't be able to offer an eMac at the same low price, which would be a drawback. Maybe a 15" LCD could work pricewise ... the iMacs could go all 17" and above then.

Of course 'headless' would be even cheaper. ;-) ... And I'd love the eMac to use a 12" TFT. Make it small. It's for schools after all. I really start to like this idea of mine. :)

Cat said:
It would make sense to abandon the eMac in its current form factor, because it now is the only CRT Mac they offer. On the other hand, LCD's are more expensive, so maybe they wouldn't be able to offer an eMac at the same low price, which would be a drawback. Maybe a 15" LCD could work pricewise ... the iMacs could go all 17" and above then.

Didn't Jobs say that he eventually wanted to go all LCD (or at least NO CRT) at some point?

Also, um… this thread is already 5 frickin pages long and the Expo doesn't start for another 2 and a half hours. Can we have a separate "Official" MWSF thread that actually pertains to announcements made, and comments on those announcements, at the Expo? As usual there will be a major influx of traffic to the site and this thread is just going to be confusing IMO…

Nah, just start on page 7 the next time you come along. ;-) ... And come to the MacOSX.com IRC chat for live commenting... We'll have separate threads for each announcement soon enough, anyway.

Heh, I was just bustin' yer chops :D

IRC, huh? Hmm. Might have to ARD in to my home system for that since the NASA network admins have IRC blocked…

Feel like that Mervyn's commercial, "Open.. Open.. Open.." I wanna see what's behind that sticky at the Apple Store.... 15 minutes to go.

Back