MWSF Official Thread

Ripcord said:
Oh.

Why do I feel so underwhelmed? Was it just not that big a deal, or is it just that most things weren't all that interesting to me?

Personally I'm thinking that there were a lot of things, just nothing that wasn't either a small incremental change or expected and a bit underwhelming (no 2GB mini-iPod? $249?)

No G5 speed bumps, no iMac changes, no iBox
ditto... :confused:

end of 2003 annoucements (20" iMac, 2x1.8 GHz G5) were better than the new annoucments !

strange... will some news follow during the next days ?

ipod_mini.jpg

The mini was exciting until the price announcement. Then no reaction from the crowd. We were all thinking the same thing. You just told us 15 gb for $299 and now you want us to spend $50 less for something that holds almost 75% less?! The coolness factor of something so small isn't worth it for me, sorry. The price is wrong, wrong, wrong.

yeah, the price is REALLY wrong. Now everybody buys the 15GB, it doesn't takes over the Flash MP3 Player market at all.

Technical Specifications

Capacity

4GB, 15GB, 20GB or 40GB hard disk drive(1)
Holds 1,000, 3,700, 5,000 or 10,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format(2)
Stores data via FireWire or USB 2.0(3) hard drive

So the mini *is* a hard drive, not flash-based.

The iPod Mini should be about 3/4 the height of what it is, should hold between 1 and 4 GB, and should be from $100-$200. The way it is, it's looking to be the next G4 Cube.

Where's my "One more thing?" :mad:

well, i did expect them to announce fast PowerMacs so a bit disappointed. However, the imac was updated quite recent (20") so i don't think there'll be an imac-update until late february/early march. PowerMacs probably before that. G5 PowerBooks this summer.

I for one find the mini-iPods pretty cool. And seriously, you can't expect the price to be anything less. There's a reason a laptop costs more than a desktop for the same basic configuration; you pay for smaller size. The 0.5" disks are probably on a new production line with lower output compared to 1.8" (and most likely high demand for them as well) which drives prices up. I think the next iteration will be cheaper. Physical dimensions is actually one reason that kept me from buying an iPod, i think it's just slightly to big. Only possible issue with the mini-iPods is batterylife so this is great!!. I hope it's not less than 10-12 hours, that would make it useless IMO. And seriously, a 1GB Flash-based player would be at least $250, probably more judging by the prices of 1GB CompactFlash so I do think think it has a very good chance of selling quite well.

The G5 Xserves are obviously the next logical step in Apple foray into the server market. Finally adding ECC-RAM is good news. That was probably a put-off for quite a few serious server-buyers.

New iLife-suit looks cool, especially GarageBand of course. will it be included if I buy a retailversion of Panther or only with new computers?

From Apple website :

"Like its (slightly) bigger brother, iPod mini gives you over 25 minutes of skip protection and lasts up to 8 hours on a single battery charge. So you won’t pay a penalty for miniaturization."

Sorry, CP-Man :(

lionsweb said:
It says 8 hour battery life, across the board, minis and full sized

that's really crappy compared to the competition. I don't really know any figures for flash-based players but there are several hard-diskbased players that do at least twice that.

Anyone know if the iPhoto/iMovie updates are going to be released for download or only with iLife? I would think you would be able to download but haven't seen it yet.

CP-Man said:
that's really crappy compared to the competition. I don't really know any figures for flash-based players but there are several hard-diskbased players that do at least twice that.
any that weigh less than 4 ounces?

[edit]
and according to the specs on their website, it's a 4 gig hard disk, *not* flash-based. So of course you don't get the extra battery life a flash one would offer

They edited the 1984 ad to have an iPod in it!!!!!

See screen shot attatched :)

Attachments

• 84ipod.jpg
    84ipod.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 79
lionsweb said:
any that weigh less than 4 ounces?

[edit]
and according to the specs on their website, it's a 4 gig hard disk, *not* flash-based. So of course you don't get the extra battery life a flash one would offer

well, I was referring to the larger iPod. Guess I was a bit confusing.... However, I suppors 8 hours is reasonable. I don't really know the typical power consumption for Flash-media but the iRiver IFP380T has a stated battery life of 24 hours. Batterylife is obviously the trade-off you have to make if you want larger storage capacity.

Back