My Local Network Is Down (never Happened Before)

fonsh

Registered
Main 'puter is MacMini running Snow Leopard. Other 2 on my wired network are mini running Tiger & MDD frunning Panther. I pinged my router & it was ok. I've done restarts; logouts & back in; permissions repair; PRAM reset (on the G4); tried connecting via ftp (as well as the usual afp) - all to no avail. I've also completely shut down all 3 & rebooted - didn't help. What the heck is going on?

3 diff. messages I've gotten are
“There was a problem connecting to the server ‘Computer Name’. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and try again.”

Connection failed
The server "xxx/xxx/x/xxx" may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

Using FTP, I get "You entered an invalid username or password. Please try again."

Last edited:
Several fixes are available if your cheap wireless router is not toast!

1. Check your System Preferences->Network pane, Adanced button, DNS mini-tab and add the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8. Lastly make sure you click the Apply button to save all your changes.

2. Try the fixes in the article Fix OS X Moutain Lion wireless connection problems.

4. How To Reset The Wireless Airport Card settings in OS X

This will also work in 10.6.xx
I have a Cisco WIRED router (said wired in my post)

File sharing means that your network needs to be providing good IP addresses, unique to each computer, so they can "see" each other computer on your network.
Are you using static IPs on each computer? What range of IP addresses are you using? Does each Mac show that assigned IP address (or DHCP-provided IP addresses, all within the same range?)

Can you give some details about the hardware in your network?
How old is your router?
Do all your Macs connect directly to the router, or do you have a hub or switch (which so you have)
Has your router been recently replaced, or have you made other changes to your hardware recently?

Do you get a good internet connection on all computers?
Are you able to connect from ANY Mac to another Mac (accessing network shares, etc)?
Do you have file sharing turned on for each Mac that requires access?
You should check each one, to make sure that sharing settings have not been inadvertently turned off.

Back