mysterious connected disks/computers

ja2661

Registered
I have a macmini running 10.6.7

Under sidebar preferences

#1 Bonjour computers show a Macmini-C42C03218CE2 under sharing - that doesn't correspond to anything related to my computer. go to get info and there is no helpful info - trying connect to it - doesn't connect

#2 under cds.dvds - a cd named remote disk is shown but - once again no info and can't connect

#3 and for some reason I have 2 .local names

any thought on issues 1 2 or 3?

What wireless access point are you on? Is it yours, your family, public access point or a school access point?

we are at home, and had a wireless network (airport base extreme) but disabled it and went straight wired with an ethernet

I would assume the mysteries were left over from the wireless days

i go from the cable modem to a dlink ethernet broadband router and then cables to the mac mini

What? Didn't you say this:
we are at home, and had a wireless network (airport base extreme) but disabled it and went straight wired with an ethernet

I would assume the mysteries were left over from the wireless days

So is it as Airport Extreme, with the wireless disabled or a D-link router? Have you ever go into that router? Is there any other computers plugged into your router (which ever router you are REALLY USING!)? Have you ever got into that router and configured it?

sorry for the confusion

our set-up @ home has gone thru a number of versions.

first we were wireless with Airport Extreme, one mac mini and one G4 laptop

then we turned off the wireless function and went with ethernet cable to the Airport base station.

but felt we needed to take out the Airport all together and we went with a D-Link EBR2310 which is just an ethernet system.

Because we didn't have the "bonjour" option checked previously, we don't know when it originally popped up

Then open System Preferences->Network and highlight the connected Ethernet card. There you can see the router's IP, remember that IP.

Then open your favorite browser and put that router IP into your browser Address Bar. Then the default username/password will be what's on the page I linked. Then you can setup your router and get it all setup. Just make sure you change the username/password and set a strong password.

Why did you get another wireless router?

Back