Need New OS X-compatible hard disk controller?

adambyte

Registered
Hello. My dad bought this Blue-and-White G3 from TurboMax in 1999, and it came with an extra hard disk and hard disk controller for it. Well, the second drive appeared just fine in Mac OS 9... but when we switched it to Mac OS X, the second drive disappeared. Apparently the controller card is incompatible with Mac OS X. The current card says "TurboMAX/ATA-33" on one of the chips, and etched on the board it says:

PCI ULTRA IDE
AEC-6210 U/UF REV 3.0
PCI MASTER U-IDE

It also says "ACARD" on another chip.

What card can we buy now to plug in to this blue-and-white to get our 23 gigs back? :confused:

HERE'S a decent replacement. That old card apparently is not compatible with OS X. You can even connect both of your internal hard drives to this new card for significantly better disk performance, and no size limitation on the drives!

I gotta second DeltaMac's suggestion -- while there are good, compatible cards for OS X that are cheaper and don't specify OS X compatibility, you never really know with them. Sonnet's products are generally excellent and guaranteed to work under OS X, and I have one of those cards (an earlier ATA/100 version, but the same card) and it works flawlessly. No drivers, no nothing. Plug it in, plug in the hard drives. I've got all three of my drives connected to it, and it boots from any of those drives. It also increased the transfer rate between hard drives dramatically.

Thanks. He has ordered it... and subsequently, ordered me to install it. Whee.

Sonnet also makes the wi-fi pci card he has in his G3. So I trust them. Muchas Gracias.

Back