need to BOOST iPod volume. ideas?

roninsmurf

Registered
so, i use my ipod in my car, with a casette adapter. the volume output is way too low. it comes in at about half what my XM radio output is...

so, i've been tooling around, trying to figure a way to boost the iPod output signal. tough.
i tried highlighting th esongs and using cmd-I to boost the volume -- didn't do nothin.

3rd pty software:
goPod seems not designed for US ipods -- didn't do anything. and VOlumeBooster is this odd program from germany -- it need me to switch iTUnes to manual updating, or it's have to reload all my songs r something.

ug. any ideas?
will getting a direct line-in from some auto-sound shop help? it can't be my casette adapter, can it??

hope everyone's healthy and happy.
g

Yes, it can be the tape adaptor -- is your tape adaptor adjustable?

I remember older Sony-branded cassette adaptors that had a 3-way adjustment switch that would adjust the height of the magnetic pickup ever so slightly, so that it would align better with different stereos.

Actually, most cassette adapters do reduce the overall volume thru signal loss. A direct Line-In is the best way to go, in an ideal sense. But even a really good FM transmitter will do the trick.

My recommendation, however, is to get a new cd player for your car from Aiwa. They aren't the true audiophile's first choice, but they're still very good quality, reasonably priced (usually sub-$100) & pretty much the only manufacturer that offers direct line-in built into the face. You can usually pick one up on eBay new for about $40.

... But don't turn it up TOO loud. I've used my iPod with both a casette adapter and an FM radio transmitter, and, either way, if you turn up the iPod TOO loud (say, over 85% of the volume), you risk getting distortion... I suppose it doesn't matter if you're listening to heavy metal, but it does sound dumb when you listen to jazz or more vocal rock.

I'm waiting to buy a new head unit for my car, as the technology is changing fast. I detest the idea of paying for radio like Sirus or XM, but I will probably buy a new HD Radio (broadcast over FM bands, free like regular raido, and digital, but with different content) when the HD Radios start coming out.

ra3ndy said:
My recommendation, however, is to get a new cd player for your car from Aiwa. They aren't the true audiophile's first choice, but they're still very good quality...
Even a cheap radio with line-in should sound better than any cassette adapter
or FM transmitter.

Buy a line-in adapter which will allow you to adjust the volume of the signal to match the other soruces of your car. Best Buy, Audio Express, they should have them.

Back