Networking Leopard + Tiger problems

tigrr

Registered
My household has a wired network (Ethernet) with two computers connected to a common router: a recent iMac running Leopard and a Powerbook G4 (1.67GHz version) running Tiger. I want to be able to transfer files between the two computers' desktop, but it only partially works.

I have the following problems which I haven't been able to solve on my own:

1) the iMac can access the Powerbook G4, but ALL folders/files. It shouldn't be like that, should it? How do I limit network access to just certain folders in Tiger?

2) the Powerbook isn't able to even see the iMac on the network. I've already turned on "Personal file sharing" in Leopard on that iMac, and I've selected the desktop folder to be shared, but that doesn't help.
Also, I've tried directly accessing it via the Finder's Go-Connect to server and entering its local IP number, but there's no response.

Since I'm no networking expert (obviously) I also want to make sure I'm not exposing my files/folders to others on the Internet. I just want to share between the two computers, safely.

You are totally in the dark about MacOS X networking and filesharing. Allow me to begin by saying that networking and filesharing are not the same thing. When you enable filesharing, you allow remote access to your account's Public folder by default and to other folders at your option. The remote user's access is limited to what is allowed by his credentials. Seen another way, the user has access to whatever is allowed by his credentials on the machine. If you are concerned by having the remote user open directories (folders) and view file names [and icons] inside, then not to worry. UNIX has allowed this since forever. However, the UNIX permissions model limits each user—local or remote—to those access levels permitted for each file. He can read only what he is permitted to read. He can write only what he is permitted to write. He can execute only what he is permitted execute.

1. The answer is Sharepoints.

2. Can you ping from the one Mac to the other? Do you have a router?

I didn't know extra software was needed in order to limit folder/file access in MacOS Tiger. I've installed it now, but touched nothing as I don't quite understand it yet.
Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't be surprised that I can access everything from my Powerbook when I'm on the iMac as I log into it using my username/password -so essentially that would be the same thing as physically sitting next to the Powerbook wouldn't it?

I've tried pinging from both computers. Surprisingly I'm successfully able to reach the iMac from the Powerbook, but not the other way round (100% packet loss) when it's the iMac I'm not able to log into from the Powerbook.

Yes, I have an Ethernet router -are you suggesting that's where the problem lies? I've tried opening up its TCP port 548 (which is the Apple Filing Protocol according to the link you posted here), but that didn't help.

I already have "The missing manual", but for MacOS Tiger. There wasn't much in-depth information available there concerning the issues I have though. Perhaps the Leopard version is more useful.

Back