Networking Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

Registered
I have two Macs in the house running off of the same cable modem. I would like the computers to have access to each others hard drives. What is the easiest way to achieve this?

Thanks

Your systems should be connected to an ethernet hub (probably a router) so you're almost there, just turn on Personal File Sharing, in the Service tab of the Sharing pref pane. Go to the Go menu (on the other system) and click on Connect to Server... You should see your other system appear in the list, click on it, then login to the user on that system, and the volume will mount on your desktop, there you go!......

I did get that far but when I enter a password I get a "Login Failed" warning...."incorrect password or login is disabled". Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for help!

are you entering both the user name and password for the user that you are trying to mount (not YOUR administator login) but for the other system's user

What's the best way to connect an OS X machine and an OS 9 machine, or two OS 9 machines? I want to connect my iMac, which has both, to this computer, which only has OS 9, and use the Internet on both, and I want to know everything I need to know before I purchase anything.

AppleFileshareProtocol (AFP) works fine with OS X to OS 9 & reverse. A router is the best solution for sharing internet, but do some research and don't get one that blocks appletalk packets.

Forgive me if this is treading on someone's toes. it isn't intentional. I'm just curious about something.

Over on the programming forum, someone posted something about porting a P2P (peer-to-peer ?) application from Windows to Mac OS. Giaguara (is this one of the moderators ?) shut the thread down and said there was a forum policy not to discuss P2P on macosx.com. Why is this? Did something bad happen in the past that I don't know about?

Whatever it was, I'm not trying to rake it all up again - it just seems like an odd topic to be excluded....

Probably because P2P applications are generally associated with illegal file sharing. That would be my guess anyway.

Over on the programming forum, someone posted something about porting a P2P (peer-to-peer ?) application from Windows to Mac OS. Giaguara (is this one of the moderators ?) shut the thread down and said there was a forum policy not to discuss P2P on macosx.com. Why is this? Did something bad happen in the past that I don't know about?

Giaguara is a moderator. It is against Board Rules to discuss anything P2P, Warez related.

No w@r3z - No asking for serialz, hackz, or warez, linking to them, discussing or anything related, including MP3z, Pr0n and related piracy items.

Any postings containing anything related will either be deleted or closed.

Um, so how is that relevant to the discussion? I would think a better place for a question like that would be the Café.

It's relevant because P2P is a networking method and the original questioner wanted some suggestions for an alternative way of connecting his Macs together. P2P would be ideal for this.

The fact that P2P can be used for illegal file sharing is coincidental, not its primary purpose. In reality, any kind of network or connectivity method can be used for illegal file sharing That's why I queried why P2P specifically was singled out as a banned topic. However, we all have to obey the rules - so if it is banned, we must respect that.

The fact that P2P can be used for illegal file sharing is coincidental, not its primary purpose.

P2P software's PRIMARY use is illegal activity. Don't kid yourself. In any case., discussion of it is not allowed on this forum.

But, the original questions has been answered and jdub is a happy networker now, so we'll close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back