New Apple Ads

Guys, you haven't noticed? This is what PC people look like - not Mac people! They *just* now converted to Mac, give them time - they'll look like Mac people sooner or later! ;)

I too quickly noticed the lack of diversity in the bunch of people they chose to do the Apple ads. You'd think they would put at least one African-American or Hispanic or something. Hey, the funniest of the iMac ads features a black man, why couldn't they use one for this?

I would like the campaign more if there was at least some diversity. Just some thoughts.

This ad campaign is going to work great though. :) No more "PC is better" stuff, because now we have solid proof that Mac is just as good if not better. This is going to work well with the eMac too. :D

it really is funny how easy macs are. i think a lot of us start taking it for granted. my old mac (sold to a friend) is still kickin, even though the adb port got busted. he bought a new keyboard (macalley adb) and was scared to plug it in. i had to tell him over the phone that it would work...and it did of course.
my other "convert" got a tibook, but only has the minimum of ram in it, is scared of os x, and regrets buying it. i'm just waiting for the day when i will buy it from him and UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!

it was so cool to see em on tv and not on my monitor... the only one i didn't see was the one with the old guy in his denim shirt...

granted it was between 2:00 and 3:00 AM...

wait... that's when most windows users are trying to figure out that Blue Screen of Death thing :p

great idea to put them at late nite apple!

I think these ads are great! I havne't seen any on TV yet. However I don't watch much TV and they might not be playing in Canada yet. Some of the people are err a little strange though :).

just my opinion....

1) perhaps the people who wrote the letters that Apple selected for the adds were actually....white. We white folks do exist, after all.

2) I have really enjoyed the lack of discussion of race or racism, moral plurality, etc. on this board. I hope that this sort of discussion does not become common place. While I understand that the discussion of racial equity, etc. is quite important for some poeple, those discussions would do well on a site dedicated to these issues. The people using this site have maintained a fairly good focus on discussions of the issues related to the use of Mac hardware and OS 9.x and OS X.x. For that, I am greatful.

I do think race, etc. does have a place on this board, as long as it's part of the discussion about Macs, technology, and on topic.

Race in technology is a vital topic, there are many relevant discussions in this area, from the digital divide to multi-ligual programming concepts.

I like the new Apple ads, but the lack of racial diversity does stand out somewhat. Think about this, one of the greatest thing about Mac OS X is its multi-lingual features, I think it's far and above anything on the Windows side, so the lack of racial diversity is somewhat odd. Also, one of the most profitable market for Apple is in Japan - if you look at the market share numbers, Apple is much higher there than anywhere else - yet no Asians in the ads.

For now I don't think it's a major issue. The truth is that the distribution of wealth in the US still favors Caucasians, and Apple may want to target that audience first, but I do hope they include a more diverse group in their ads in the future.

I'd like to add some ideas:

1. If they had, say, 10 people, all from different races and some in wheelchairs, etc., wouldn't we all be saying that apple is too "Politically Correct"?

2. I think that if we were in a better society (excuse my poor choice of words), we wouldn't need to notice the lack of racial diversity, because the other races wouldn't mind.

3. The truth is, a lot, and maybe even most, of the mac users in the world are white.

4. just because someone is white or black or hispanic or whatever doesn't mean they are more attracted to something with an ad with a person from their race in it (for example the new iMac commercial had a Black man in it, and I still went ahead and got one, I didn't even think about the fact that he was of a different race than me)

—just my 2¢—

I agree, and as I stated, I don't think it's a major issue for now.

However, what I don't want is for people to feel uncomfortable discussing race in technology, because it's a valid topic. Racism shouldn't be a taboo subject in technology. Apple have been priding themselves for being one of the most diverse corporation in the world, and I commend them on that.

Like I stated, as long as discussions involving race is about Macs, technology, and on topic - and handled with maturity, it should be perfectly alright.

Originally posted by xaqintosh

1. If they had, say, 10 people, all from different races and some in wheelchairs, etc., wouldn't we all be saying that apple is too "Politically Correct"?

2. I think that if we were in a better society (excuse my poor choice of words), we wouldn't need to notice the lack of racial diversity, because the other races wouldn't mind.

3. The truth is, a lot, and maybe even most, of the mac users in the world are white.

4. just because someone is white or black or hispanic or whatever doesn't mean they are more attracted to something with an ad with a person from their race in it (for example the new iMac commercial had a Black man in it, and I still went ahead and got one, I didn't even think about the fact that he was of a different race than me)

—just my 2¢—

Whoa ......... i just said that was the first thing i thought when i saw the ad. "Where's the token black or latino guy in the ad"

It was more of a light-hearted comment. ( a joke )
i was stating an opinion, please oh for the love of "what ever you worship" (being politically correct), just let it be, let it be a comment that you read and
a. laugh at
b. dont get
c. agree with
d. bypass and read on!!!!!!!!!!

understand this is a forum on the Internet, and the internet see's no race gender or creed.

on the internet we judge you by your spelling and if you write something we can flame ya about:D :D :D :D :D

But did you notice that there were a fair amount of females? :) At least we know it's not sexist...

Whoa ......... i just said that was the first thing i thought when i saw the ad. "Where's the token black or latino guy in the ad"

It was more of a light-hearted comment. ( a joke )
i was stating an opinion, please oh for the love of "what ever you worship" (being politically correct), just let it be, let it be a comment that you read and
a. laugh at
b. dont get
c. agree with
d. bypass and read on!!!!!!!!!!

understand this is a forum on the Internet, and the internet see's no race gender or creed.

on the internet we judge you by your spelling and if you write something we can flame ya about

ok, sorry about taking it too seriously :)

I have seen the new ads 4 or 5 times so far, and the ad placement is interesting. Most of them were shown during The Screen Savers on TechTV (I have a major thing for Megan Morrone, heheh). And one was shown during the Stanley Cup hockey final, in among all those incredibly annoying Captain Morgan malt liquor ads.
Looks like they're targeting PC-using geeks and morons. ;)

"the blue screen of death"

and BOOM i turned my head! just saw it during the replay of the MTV movie awards (which attracts a wide variety of young people)... if they get lots of kids to be like "wow... i hate that d*** blue screen! f'n thing always crashes my pc! i need a mac!" they'll know what to tell their parents to get next time!

*sorry about the slight explitives but that's what me, my friends (and a lot of others i know) say! and at least i kept it predominantly clean... i didn't use the whole word!

and i think that showing race in the commercials would be great! about a month ago, i read an article about the digital divide between whites and blacks... it was a very well written article.... i think with more exposure to the other races, they may be more inclined to jump onto technology instead of just staying back

Originally posted by xaqintosh

—just my 2¢—

and the truth is that most of EVERY thing is white, but it is always good to show some diversity. not too diverse of course because then it is contrived. but just ONE token ______(enter race of choice here) would be okay. the very first thing i noticed was that there were no other races represented.

And no, I am not more inclined to by a product cause it shows a black person in it, but if apple wants to show that it is the kind of computer that can have a "special place in your heart" then it might want to be a bit more diverse with these ads. Now it almost takes me back to the big brother scene in the 1984 ads where everybody looked the same.

even in our columbus store they have the one token black guy. okay i'm not being serious but there is still just one...(hey, i was trying to be that one!)

but maybe they are just trying to keep it "real" by only including those who actually wrote the letters, and those people just did not end up being korean, black, hispanic or whatever.

well anyways, apple will still have a special place in my heart. you can't expect a computer company to be perfect all the time.

----------------------------------
http://www.jaybeekay.com

Back