New Displays?

senne

Registered
indexfeature20050412.jpg

indexcompdisplay06282004-03.jpg

Top: screenshot of exposé in Tiger (apple.com/macosx/features/expose. None of the existing Apple displays are so wide, i think. New extra wide display coming?

Yeah: Introducing the New HD Cinema Display Extreme: 42" wide with triple triple triple video link. :D

Compatible video cards will be available in Q2 2006. ;)

No, seriously ... Are all the current displays already widescreen and HighDefinition?

I initially thought 20" G4 iMac, but that doesn't fit either....

Hmmm, you may be onto something there.

Current displays are 16:10 - e.g. 1440x900.

That screenshot is approximately 17.7:10 - e.g. 1596x900 - so I'm guessing it's just badly resized.

Sorry, but I was only guessing. It just seems a bit pointless to create new screens that a) change the ratio that has been used throughout the range; and b) only extend it by 10%.

No offence meant.

Yes, of course, i don't think it's a good idea either. But i really wonder why they have done this.. There must be a reason!

Look at the close-up of the aqua window controls on this page:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/aquauserinterface.html
That's not real. They didn't take a "screenshot" of two overlapping windows using the screenshot feature of Mac OS X running on some Power Macintosh with a real display attached. It's a mock-up.

I believe that Apple (or whatever design firm) custom-creates all the graphics for their web page, possibly using custom-written applications for layout of Aqua graphics. They made the images (and thus have access to the original high-resolution version) for Mac OS X and have Quartz at their disposal, and I'm sure most of the the graphics we see on their web page are probably all mocked up, and not actual screenshots. Even the ones that do look like a screenshot.

'xactly. That was my guess, too. They chose the "screen resolution" after the things they wanted to show on the "screen".

You're talking about the screenshots, and i agree that they are all mock-uped. But I am still not sure about the movies..

Ahha! I didn't know they can choose the resolution. That makes more sense.

IF there ever will be a 17.7:10 widescreen Apple display, I was the first one to discover! :)

17,7:10 same as 16:9 which is the "resolution" for widescreen televisions and most DVD movies with widescreen format. Interesting...

but what doesn't make very much sense is the fact that the alu apple cinema displays are all fairy new, and bringing out new and revised displays hasn't actually been high priority at Apple.. just speaking historically here, they average at 340 days between updates, and i think that is without changing the formfactor. last update to the displays, kind off.. meaning it would probably be even more before the bring out a brand new display, with new frames, new dimensions, displaying other resolution etc..

alex.

therefore it's new books. i know they've just updated the powerbooks, and the ibooks are ok as they are, but the powerbook update was subtle, at best, just better configurations, and the trackpad scrolling, which is just a software update anyway. new form factors for the powerbooks are necessary soon, as in hardware stores, the powerbooks, once revolutionary, are now languishing behind in terms of innovation, behind the pc competition

So some are still not persuaded that this is just screenshot mockery? Go ahead, do expect new displays and/or PowerBooks. Or yeah: The iBooks go 16:9 before the PowerBooks. Makes perfect sense, eh? ;)

Nah: Really, it's just how they did the screens for the site. Nothing to do with new displays, trust me.

*eats hat. i just remeber how bloody revolutionary the powerbooks were. now look at 'em.

btw i'm in bed with a high fever. can i have some group sympathy plz? eeuuurrgh

It wouldn't happen to be Cat Scratch Fever would it?! Doot doot doowoo do do do do!

Sorry to hear about that... I've gotten the flu twice this year already, and the fever was the worst part. Tylenol every 6 hours, man, it really helps! I hope ya feel better soon!

BTW -- I don't see a notebook listed in your sig... does that mean you drug that monster G5 to bed with you?! ;) Bravo!

Back