New G5 Supercluster

Although I have about as much Computer Server knowledge as a hamster, maybe two, I must say, very nice.

Hey, wanna sell me that 15GB iPod of yours? lol

Convert said:
Hey, wanna sell me that 15GB iPod of yours? lol
Hmm, maybe, as long as you don't mind that it has a laser engraving on the back that says "Julian & Alexis - June 1, 2001". She dumped me last February, but I took the iPod back... but that's off-topic.

I'm assuming that this cluster and the Virginia Tech cluster are the only large scale clusters using Xserves right now? Does anyone know?

mightyjlr said:
I'm assuming that this cluster and the Virginia Tech cluster are the only large scale clusters using Xserves right now? Does anyone know?

The Virginia Tech Supercomputer wasn't Xserves - it was 1100 (I think) full-size G5 towers.

texanpenguin said:
The Virginia Tech Supercomputer wasn't Xserves - it was 1100 (I think) full-size G5 towers.

They have (or are in the process of) rebuilding it with Xserves. They announced it right after the release of the G5 Xserve, so it should be done or almost there by now. That's why it wasn't included in the last Top 500 list update.

-----
EDIT
-----

It's done evidentially. Here's VT's new specs (http://www.tcf.vt.edu/systemX.html):

System X Specifications

Nodes
1100 Apple XServe G5 dual processor cluster nodes (4 GB RAM, 80 GB S-ATA HD)

Primary Communication
24 Mellanox 96 port InfiniBand switches (4X InfiniBand, 10 Gbps)

Secondary Communication
6 Cisco 4506 Gigabit Ethernet switches

Cooling
Liebert X-treme Density System cooling

Software
Mac OS X, MVAPICH, XLC & XLF

Damn, Virginia Tech must have several hundred acres of money trees out there -- it's not cheap to build a supercomputer out of G5 towers and then rebuild it a year later with XServes!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Damn, Virginia Tech must have several hundred acres of money trees out there -- it's not cheap to build a supercomputer out of G5 towers and then rebuild it a year later with XServes!

not sure how much the newest one (1566 xserves) cost but the original (1100 G5 towers) was only just over 5 million. the first one was the 3rd fastest super computer in the world and was a fraction of the cost of the 2 above it. they were 350 million and 200 million I think.

my point is that you could build 20-30 1000+ G5 cluster systems for the cost of the earth simulator.

jobsen_ski said:
that viseo link isnt working? I can't seem to find it anywhere els eon the site?
Weird... they pulled it. There was a link to it on the first page, but it's not weird anymore. Don't know why...

mightyjlr said:
Weird... they pulled it. There was a link to it on the first page, but it's not weird anymore. Don't know why...

Doesn't seem weird to me (Look at my screen name and figure out why I am saying this). It was paid for by the Army. Umm, a video of an Secure Army facility, I think they probably wanted Apple to remove the video. So poof, it's gone.

Virginia Tech, yes they have updated to Xserves and will be appearing in the next Top 500 list (behind the Mach 5 that is :p)...
Im not so sure they spent so much moeny since they sold the powermacs, and im sure did get good prices from apple... !

Other than that, there have been some other clusters showing up in diff. universities but at a number of less than 1000, maybe 500 :)

hey, I have a bunch of ISA FDDI cards here. They are even using the "brand-new" ISA 32Bit technology. :)
Do you guys think, that could be of any interest for COLSA? :D

blue&whiteman said:
... the original (1100 G5 towers) was only just over 5 million.

Is that all? For heaven's sake, I should get one at that rate. I'll start saving money by drinking my coffee black - soon I will have saved enough money on milk to buy myself an 1100 node G5 cluster! I can hardly wait ;P

Hehe... I wonder who got first dibs on those Powermacs @ VT being replaced -- I'll bet there are a lot of happy faculty and students with dual 2GHz G5s now!

The vast majority of the VT computers were sold to resellers. MacMall.com had quite a few (500+) to sell. MacWarehouse (CDW) also had a fair amount. From an article I read, only about 100 of them remained in the hands of personnel or students at VT.

scruffy said:
Is that all? For heaven's sake, I should get one at that rate. I'll start saving money by drinking my coffee black - soon I will have saved enough money on milk to buy myself an 1100 node G5 cluster! I can hardly wait ;P

smartass ;) I meant only 5 million as opposed to say 350 million.

Back