New HD won't accept password, now what

Qfxz

Registered
I just had the (warranty) HD replaced on my iMac G5, now
it will not accept the password. I went to the 10.4 install disk, clicked the 'install' button with the intention on resetting the password after the machine restarts. It requires a password to install OS X...
--->At first I could not find my paperwork from the Apple store so I posted this thread, finally I found the papers and this is what I was told from a tech rep: Usually the service techs will not enter a password and all that needs to be done is to hit the enter (return) key when the password prompt appears
(this was the case for me), so I got into the install IF, clicked on the 'reset password' and everything is fine in paradise now.
Should anyone run across this same problem and the above does not work there are two other possibilities; 1) the old password may need to be entered with all caps or 2) use 'admin' for the password (without the quote marks) and then hit enter.

John Q

Stop panicking. With the install disk, don't start the install right right. When the first install screen comes up, go to the menu Finder bar and under one of the menu items is reset password. Then go forward with the install.

I don't think he's asking for help -- it looks like he's being helpful and describing the fix for a problem he encountered.

Back