New iPod Line Up / Shuffle Price Drop...

CreativeEye

Registered
ok - so the 30gb has been dropped and now you get the choice of 20gb or 60gb - but the entire 'white' ipod range is now colour screen...

also the 1gb iPod shuffle is now only £88.99 in the UK - hopefully the 512mb shuffle might come down too...

and with the announcement and release of iTunes 4.9 i think the up-coming special ipod event should herald in something new and cool...

The shuffle didn't drop in price in the US, though, so I guess that's rather a tweak than a drop. :)

What the ???? the new iPod comes with USB 2.0 cable only, you have to buy the FireWire cable separately.

whatever the iPod update doesnt bother me, i have a 40GB B&W and that's fine for me, that's all the iPod is to me, just a music player, not a photo player.

it would have made more sense to drop the 20GB for the 30 though...

yep - it happened a couple of months ago - and usb2 is pretty fast anyway!

fryke - maybe the cost of the shuffle in the UK has been bought in line with the US now - its not a massive drop only around £10 - but still... thats £10 that can now be spent on music!

parb.johal@ante said:
ok - so the 30gb has been dropped and now you get the choice of 20gb or 60gb - but the entire 'white' ipod range is now colour screen...

So do standard iPods replace the iPod Photo now?

Edit: Never mind. I've just found out that they DO replace iPod Photos.

so, do you all think that this is all we see this summer, or is apple going to pull another "tweak first, update later" with the 5G of iPods?

What could be in the 5G iPods that's not already in the updated 4G iPods? The only thing I can think of is bluetooth/wireless connectivity, and that can be added aftermarket (at least for headphones). We can all wish for features, but deep down I think we all know what features make sense and what features don't -- we also know what features Apple is likely to add and what features are just stupid ideas that fit one person's lifestyle...

...if any of you say "video!" I'm going to personally castrate you. ;)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
...if any of you say "video!" I'm going to personally castrate you. ;)

This is now my sig.

I am happy with my iPod... it's fairly bulky, it freezes, it's dying, I'll get it repaired soon, but I'm still happy. I wouldn't have brought a 20GB iPod anyway, just not enough space for me, personally. I still want to see a colour iPod Mini though.

it's obvious to me what they can do: make the damn things smaller. i bought my shuffle cos the 40gb is just too heavy for any of my shorts - it's summer and i wear shorts.

40gb ipod+walking+about 7 minutes=shorts round ankles.

mini should be redesigned to accomodate a full-fat ipod size screen (i like to see album details in the main screen) and then stick a 40gb hitachi drive in it. my freind has a player smaller than a mini. i thought it was a bag of crap (humph!-not-an-ipod! arrogance) until he told me it was 20gb. my jaw dropped. technology is moving on. surely they can now do a much smaller, large capacity ipod. with a colour screen. hike the price for a bit, seeing as the most expensive ipod (60gb colour) is now only £300, instead of £400/£450 as usual and hail in the removal of the ipod mini.

also the shuffle needs a screen. a little screen. no controls, no functions, and no menus, i just want to see what song is playing
So:

Shuffle 512 (with screen)
Shuffle 1gb (ditto)
iPod 5gb
iPod 20gb
ipod 40gb (all smaller than the mini, all colour. not arsed about photos, just a colour screen is easier to read and navigate.)

in my lifetime.

Several competing MP3 players offer radio capabilities. Apple may add this to the iPod range in order to compete with these devices.

like, FM radio? i think not. it's not very apple to offer such an old technology, just because rivals offer it. do you have a floppy drive?

Lt Major Burns said:
like, FM radio? i think not. it's not very apple to offer such an old technology, just because rivals offer it. do you have a floppy drive?

I remember hearing ages ago about some firm offering Apple their satellite radio service to use in the iPod series, but I think they refused.

FM radio? - man I have not listened to radio since...well two weeks ago :p - but it was only because I did not have my 'pod with me :p I would much rather have a cellphone with FM rather than an iPod with FM.

I do have a floppy drive actually, but it is removed from the computer and the internal casing removed - I used it to educate my employees on how disc drives look like inside lol

FM radio, I personally wouldn't want or need that but DAB radio with some kind of recording feature built in? Yes please ! :D

Back