New iPod Line Up / Shuffle Price Drop...

i agree with Lt Major Burns that theres still a huge amount that can be done regarding new designs.

essentially the basic design of the ipod hasnt changed since its release in '01. the forward movements have been the navigation method, and rounded edges / corners... and remember that i'm only talking about form - not extra battery power etc which is a given in tech advances over time.

i get the feeling that apple are simply milking the current line-up for what its worth and that we'll be seeing totally new ipods (in form) when the new intel mac designs are released next year - or - in time for christmas sales.

...what's wrong with radio? Just for the news, basically. It's a personal preference of mine that I would love to see on the iPod.

Three things... First: They shouldn't mess with the basic iPod design too much in my opinion. It's an icon already, and if they deviate, the momentum they've created, could get a hit.

The 1" drives used in the minis don't go to 20 GB yet, so that friend's player either _isn't_ a 20 GB model or it has the 1.8" drives inside, which wouldn't let it be smaller than the iPod mini in my opinion... But hey: I'd gladly be wrong and see the iPod mini go 10-20 GB soon.

What I _really_ hope is that they'll find a way to simply shrink the iPod a tad. Not much, just a bit.

::runs over to desk, shoots slev for buying the 60 gig for 600 bucks, or whatever the hell it was::

I got the photo when it came out. The big one. Dang.

That phone icon lets me think it'll be just another Moto phone. Doesn't look very innovative (maybe that's a good thing, too). MacBidouille says it's gonna have 555 MB free for music, which isn't really a _lot_ of space - and users might be better off using an iPod shuffle for their music. Hm. We'll see soon enough.

http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/archos_gmini_xs200.html

it's ugly, and it's a pain to use (folder trees, no tags) but shows what can be done in terms of shrinkage.

iPod could:

lose the chrome - it's not iconic, it doesn't serve a purpose, it's difficult to keep clean/free from scratches. in terms of design, in which apple love simplicity, it's pointless, and bad because of it.

lose space from the depth - make it thinner - thinner than a mini, but lose the mini's curved edges - it forces the screen to be smaller. keep rounded edges, just don't make the curve as big. also i like the rounded edges at top and bottom of ipod - slips in and out of pockets.

keep it white, keep the square screen above round click wheel

keep the icon, lose the pounds

Me too... but you know, having a dock, carrying case, and the option of FireWire or USB2 was worth it to me. With the new pricing for the 60GB, if you purchased all the accessories separately, it would actually be more than $600.

We were forced to pay more, but we actually got more for our money... ;)

About that radio thing, if there was an iPod compatible with XM Radio I'd buy it right now because I could listen to MLB games everywhere except in the subway.

Go Expos :,-(

Lt Major Burns said:
http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/archos_gmini_xs200.htmllose the chrome - it's not iconic, it doesn't serve a purpose, it's difficult to keep clean/free from scratches. in terms of design, in which apple love simplicity, it's pointless, and bad because of it.

The chrome back serves as a heat spreader to stop it getting too hot. I quite like the chrome actually. I think it makes the iPod seem to be of higher quality than models that are completely plastic, although it does add to the weight of the unit.

Just checking - is there any difference between the current "All new iPod" and the iPod photo?

i.e. Is it just a matter of a firmware update to get the podcast features on the iPod photo and has anything else significant been added?

Kap

P.S.
Fryke said:
The shuffle didn't drop in price in the US, though, so I guess that's rather a tweak than a drop.
apple.gif
The 1GB shuffle has dropped by $20 in Australia. :D

Okay, I guess the 1GB shuffle _did_ get a price cut. I didn't see it at first.
About the 60 GB iPod: It's the same as the last one. Only firmware change (available for download). These 20/60 GB versions are still 4G iPods, they only dropped the 'photo' name now that all of them have colour screens.

You would have thought the would have dropped the U2 iPod by now, it's not really limited edition anymore either.

The price of the Shuffle did drop by $30 in the US, its now $129...i might be getting a 2nd iPod soon, just to have one for working out, a harddrive really isn't the best thing in the world to be buppin around.

If anything Apple should have sponsered iPod's by big bands and change it every 3 to 4 months. Like U2, Grateful Dead, Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Coldplay etc etc...feel free to add to the list.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Me too... but you know, having a dock, carrying case, and the option of FireWire or USB2 was worth it to me. With the new pricing for the 60GB, if you purchased all the accessories separately, it would actually be more than $600.

We were forced to pay more, but we actually got more for our money... ;)

Exactly. I purchased the 40GB iPod Photo for £300 (actual retail price was £360), and I received all the accessories noted by ElDiabloConCaca. I'm happy.

RGrphc2 said:
You would have thought the would have dropped the U2 iPod by now, it's not really limited edition anymore either.

Some companies use "limited edition" as a marketing strategy to promote sales.

Yeah. Bad practice, and I think they shouldn't promote _one_ band like this for a very long time. I actually _like_ U2, but I guess those who want a U2 iPod have one by now. Why not simply create a black version of the iPod instead (if it sells well enough, I mean).

fryke said:
Yeah. Bad practice, and I think they shouldn't promote _one_ band like this for a very long time. I actually _like_ U2, but I guess those who want a U2 iPod have one by now. Why not simply create a black version of the iPod instead (if it sells well enough, I mean).

Well, u could buy an black iPod from Colorwarepc, but it will cost more money than a regular iPod.

fryke said:

Speaking of which, how come Minis come in a range of colours but the standard iPod doesn't?

Shookster - think of the standard ipod as powerhouse G5's and the ipod mini as the fruity fun 'everyman' imac's.

im sure i read somewhere that a company had made some coldplay x&y accesories for the ipod.

as much as i think apple will be changing the form of the ipod in some way with its next iteration - i also think that the white / chrome and scroll wheel will more than likely stay. the screen wont get any smaller - but at the same time its not likely to stay the same size. look at the wheel on a standard ipod - they are pretty big! think about the same tech but in a wheel / selection tool thats the size of navigation on the shuffle - it leaves a huge amount of room for a bigger screen...

The minis are aimed at women, the white ones at men? Or is that too simple a marketing thought? ;) Basically, having several colours available is a logistical nightmare, unless you can somehow anticipate what version will sell better...

Back