New Mac Minis and iBooks support core image?

nietzsche2131

Registered
I was looking at the tech specs of the new mini's and ibook's. They have updated graphics cards. But they are 32mb's still. They are accerlated ones. So, it looks like they can support core image(ripple effect in dashboard). But I can't tell. Trip to the mac store to find out! :D Any thoughts?

The iBook has a newer graphics system - ATI Radeon 9550. The mini has the same system in the previous release - ATI Radeon 9200.

I know the mini doesn't support Core Image in Tiger. Not sure about the iBook.

From Apple's Website:

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9650, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

So I guess both the mini and the new iBook still don't support core image. Bummer.

I dont recall if eMac have Core Image supported since it have 9200 32MB 4x. Anyone have answer? If so thats possible for Mac Mini have supported of Core Image.

MacFreak said:
I didnt realized the eMac have ATI 9600. So Mac Mini dont supported Core Image. Thats sucks.

That's the one thing i was hoping for in the mini, that would have made me order one right now... :D

fryke said:
The Dashboard Ripple Effect is overrated. Highly.
Agreed. But Core Image itself, and the future Quartz 2D Extreme (which has the same requirements), are not. Right now Core Image isn't used for much (although there ARE practical applications already), it's still a very cool technology that needs to be supported.

I'm very upset with Apple right now. They're delaying the practical adoption of Core Image by another year or so, and that sucks. Grrrrr. As a Mini user, it bugs me, and as a developer, it REALLY bugs me.

Apparently the new iBook does support Core Image/Video:
Confirmation that new iBook Radeon 9550 has Tiger Core Image/Video Support - Earlier today I mentioned the new iBook line is using the Radeon 9550 graphics chip and guessed it had Tiger Core Image/Video support (since the desktop 9550 is based on the R3xx/9600 series) but wrote a contact at ATI to verify that (yes it is).
Apple's iBook graphics page mentions quartz extreme support but didn't mention Tiger Core Image/Core Video support.
(For those that missed the posts here earlier this year - although the OS X Tiger page listed a Mobility 9700/Desktop 9600XT or higher was required, the Mobility 9600 and non-XT 9600 also have Core Image/Video support in Tiger.)
Douglas Trachta sent a link to an X-Bit labs article on the desktop Radeon 9550 from a few months ago that might be of interest also. (I hope to have more info on the iBook's 9550 mobility chip/performance soon.)

ho ho ho!

quite tempted by an iBook, but when specualtion said the ibook was due an update, i think i was expecting more. a drastic form factor change for example.

They did not upgrade the graphics on the mini mac. Will I ever be buying one with that joke graphics card?

I think not. Would have liked to see at 9600 ATI in the update.

serpicolugnut said:
From Apple's Website:

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9650, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

So I guess both the mini and the new iBook still don't support core image. Bummer.

Don't draw your conclusion too quickly, since the new graphic card could be added onto the outdated list.

I think there's a reason for the graphic upgrade.

Stay tune.

Yes, as was already mentioned, the 9550 supports Core Image.

There's a number of cards on that list that Core Image runs on - note that the list says that the list "includes" those cards, and isn't "only" those cards.

why don't we just goto the apple store nearby and check out and see if the new iBook's and Mini's support core-image, wouldn't that be a lot easier???? ::ha::

Guess none of us has actually seen one of the new models yet. Else someone would've posted here about it. The "Mini's" (please get rid of those apostrophes...) have had no change in graphics card, so that case is clear. It's the iBooks that need checkin'.

Well, that's good news for the iBook. Still very disappointed that the mini doesn't have a better GPU. I'm perplexed why Apple didn't upgrade it. Did they have too many ATI Radeon 9200 chips on hand and needed to unload them?

I would really like to get a mini, but there's no way I'm shelling out $600 for a computer that doesn't support Core Image. Especially when I'm certain that in aboout a years time, the mini will have Core Image support and some sort of Intel processor.

Back