New mouse

Ripcord, you've been on here a long time, longer than me, so I respect you much. With that said though, you gotta realize that it's soooo nice to now be able to use a multi-button/function mouse without that "I am betraying apple" guilt hanging over your head! Know what I'm saying?

I'm not so sure the full mouse as button is necessary. Initially I was thrown off by the no-button-button, but then I realised we already have it and we love it. It's called the iPod. And the reason it works so well on the iPods is because of the sound feedback. It psychologically tricks you into thinking you actually pressed a mechanical button. Same with the mouse, I presume. And with less stress than a normal mouse.

But, as has been stated, if the full mouse is a mechanical button, that could work too. I'm quite sure Apple tested this upside down, inside and out, so I'm confident most of our worries are not going to be a problem.

It's not Apple's next greta innovation, but it looks pretty solid. I want one.

Here's the real question. If another company had developed the EXACT same mouse technologically, would we even be talking about it. The answer is no. You know it's true.

mindbend said:
Here's the real question. If another company had developed the EXACT same mouse technologically, would we even be talking about it. The answer is no. You know it's true.
True. But I WOULD think "it's a about f@#$%^& time" in regard to the scroll ball. Although I really have to use it before I can say if it's actually any good. But it's a long-overdue idea, anyway. Scroll wheels suck. It's just that no company's designed anything better, until now (possibly).

My mouse will be here tomorrow. I am not so optimistic about the scroll ball... it looks cool... just not sure if it will work [for me]. Like I said though, expect a thorough review soon.

mindbend said:
Said mouse might get a mention, but since when did Mac sites like this ever not focus on Apple products? That's the normal mode of operations around here, and I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

I think the thing that is driving the most discussion on this thread is the fact that Apple has historically been giving us limited one-button mice. Now, they are offering a more appropriate option in the form of a two-button / scroll knob / side button mouse that is an industry first, as far as I can see (speaking specifically about the touch-sensitive surface). It's news-worthy.

The Logitech V500 has touch sensitive scroll. The L&R buttons are not touch sensitive though! So not quite first, but close :)

jh2112 said:
The Logitech V500 has touch sensitive scroll. The L&R buttons are not touch sensitive though! So not quite first, but close :)

Wow, sounds interesting. Do you have one?

Nice. Logitech have always been good with mice. I'm sure I'll be happy with the Mighty Mouse though. Nice buy though, certainly.

Ripcord said:
Good lord, dude. Steve Jobs didn't just grant you a reprieve on your life sentence plus buy you a new car... They put out an interesting mouse...With not much that you couldn't have bought from another vendor years and years ago.

It is, however, one less thing for the Windows zealots to jeer about, and signals (potentially) more forward movement for the platform.

Oh yes he did...well maybe not but I dont have to use this crappy m$ mouse any more to get horizontal scroll...I know logitech has it too but I just feel better about not using third party drivers....I couldn't wait for BT...I caved and had to buy one

I just got mine. It's good. I've had no problems of accidental clicks so far. The scroll ball is very cool - it feels weird though.

One thing I will miss is the Individual settings my Intellisomething mouse offered. You could set each button differently for each application, so in Safari two buttons would be for back/forward but in BF1942 they would be for Crouch and Zoom. Can't do this with the Mighty Mouse. Ah well.

Do you have to hover your fingers above the buttons or can you rest them on the button area?

Sounds good, I'll still try before I buy though!
(my v500 is a travelling solution not a desktop one!)

The scroll ball was my main worry. I actually love it. It's brilliant.

This mouse is good. If it had a feature like Microsoft's Individual settings, that would make it complete.

Also, if it had 5 buttons instead of four (say, each side button could be programmed separately) that would be sweet.

The sounds are subtle, not too over the top. The scroll ball makes a sound, but it's not too loud. I hated this about my IntelliMouse; it's scroll wheel was awfully loud. I've had no problems with accidental clicking, I just played Command and Conquer Generals, and it's fine.

There are no problems with this mouse other than the settings, in my opinion. It's good.

Back