new PM G5

zoranb

Registered
Well for anyone dissapointed about the new PM G5, guys... always remember that this forum is for rumors, rumors are rumors so there is no certainity that they will come true, so always be prepared for the worst when reading stuff here.
Damn even i was caught with this newPM thing. Beeing very dissapointed, im already beggining to consider a PC... again... damn, i dont want to but ill prolly have to in the end!
Lets face it even if the new PM G5 appear now will they be mature enough or shall we wait for the IntelMacs?

Most likely there will be new PowerMacs and Power Books by the end of the month, according to rumors...

Will those be as fast and reliable and... and... and... as MacIntels? Is it worth waiting untill June or later?

If you need a computer now, buy it. If you want an Intel Mac badly, wait for it. If you want the last generation of PowerPCs, wait for a few weeks... no one knows the specs or anything really about this computers. Just wait ;)

The chances are quite good of a PMac update soon, especially now that the consumer line is utilizing PCI Express video cards and DDR2 memory. Leaving the Pro line without that isn't something Apple has been known to do or at all expected to do. We'll probably see a silent update within a week or two, a month at the latest. Who knows...maybe they'll have another event in a month (third time is a charm).

This is what annoys the crap out of me. There's people like me that want to buy a Poewrbook, but we're holding back because we don't want to buy something then something awesome comes out soon. I wish they'd say something at least.

Veljo said:
There's people like me that want to buy a Poewrbook, but we're holding back because we don't want to buy something then something awesome comes out soon.
If the fact that you didn't buy the latest-and-greatest machine in favor of having a machine sooner causes you anguish, maybe you need to look at the reasons you use a computer in the first place! ;)

Seriously, what could the next generation offer you that you absolutely cannot live without and would be ticked off that you didn't get? Right now, you'd get a great screen, fast processor, RAM expansion, large hard drive, DVD-R, wireless, bluetooth, USB, FireWire, DVI-out, blah blah blah... do a few extra MHz or a slightly better video card matter that much?

If I were a PowerMac user (and not a PowerBook user), I'd think of it this way:

- My next PowerMac should have BluRay and/or HD-DVD support.
- My next PowerMac should give me at least a 50% speed boost.
- That intel thing is _not_ really important until it has a definite effect on my work.

Now... If you currently have a dual processor PowerMac above 2 GHz, I don't think that your computer's too old to last another year or so.

And let's just say this: While we know that the _first_ intel Mac will come out in June 2006, we have absolutely NO idea when the first _PowerMac_ will come out with an intel chip. October 2006? February 2007? December 2007? That's quite a long timeframe, and the very first intel PowerMac might not be the one you actually want. You'll want the second or third model, when problems in both hardware and software are more under control.

So: Buy a new PowerMac when you want to. Does yours feel too old? There's a new one in the shop around the corner waiting for you. And probably an even newer one will be available in late October or November, although we can't say that for sure, might take until January at MWSF, although I personally doubt that.

TO El Diablo,

Your point is well taken. I used to sell high-tech digital music equipment (synths, software, etc.) and used to roll my eyes at customers who continually waited themselves out of ever buying anything because there was always something cooler coming, just 'round the bend.

HOWEVER- (wry smile) - now that I'M the consumer, I have a different viewpoint!

Ha!

Seriously, I'm putting along on a year-2000 Power Mac DP500/G4. It's been a great computer, even running OS X 10.4, but it's starting to show it's age. So, I've got the money saved up for it's replacement. I almost popped last April when the PM G5's had their latest update to 2.7ghz, but I just can't help but think that Steve has maybe one more fairly significant upgrade planned for the G5 line. That is, before the Macintels start to ship.

So yeah, I was pretty stoked for the "One More Thing" presentation yesterday. Afterwards, I was pretty disappointed. Not that the Video iPod and related services isn't pretty cool, 'cause it is. I JUST WANTED SOME NEW POWER MACS!

Waaaah. Whine whine whine. :)

One last thought: I suspect that Steve will be proven right yet again, and that the Video iPod will prove to be a huge hit. I remember when the first iPods came out a few years back, and I couldn't really see the point. I didn't think they'd sell- well, sell like they have. So I'm definitely willing to give Mr. Jobs the benefit of the doubt.

So... will we see significantly upgraded/updated/revised Power Mac G5s before the end of October? Before the end of the year?

What say the rest of you?

Marty Graw

Might read the post above yours. :) Guess you were writing while I was posting...

when the powerbooks, the powermacs, the emacs and the ibooks all got speed bumps in the last year, they were all done pretty low-key. the powerbooks were even done about a week after a big keynote. keep your eyes peeled in the next month, i'd say.

new rumours regarding this almost daily now on appleinsider.com, thinksecret.com and macnews.net.tc, of course. I wonder if Apple's planning on giving those machines FrontRow...

The way I see it, if I've waited 6 years to upgrade my PowerBook, do I really want to buy now and go from G3 to G4? No. Since G5 won't be in the PowerBook and since my new desk doens't fit an iMac (Manhattan Studio Apartment - space is precious), I think I'll wait till next summer to get that Intel PowerBook so I can keep it for another few years.

Now the only question is what to do with my iPod. That too is 3 years old and after having spent $500 for a 20GB I don't want it to go to waste. My headphone jack is dying (only one ear of music left and yes I used new headphones - third or fourth pair). That will cost $100 to fix plus I'd need a Shuffle for the time it's fixed (addicted to iPod). That's $250 there - why don't I just get the 30GB iPod video? I may, but I don't have USB 2 (could get a PCMCIA card which is what I did for FireWire for my current iPod) and I can't rip DVDs since I don't have a DVD drive in my PowerBook (but I have an external 2x CD burner - old school). I can import TV shows through a DV bridge I bought a few years ago but only have a 4.5GB Hard Drive, so it's time consuming.

Hate to admit it, but I may just get the iPod and use it with my work PC (sorry) for the time being so I can use it and then get a new mac later. I want FrontRow to hook up to my TV - taht would be sweet. Though I wonder if the remote would work with my G3 since I have an infrared port (which I haven't had software for since 9.2.2).

In case you're wondering,w hich you're not, yes I have run the following OSes - more than probably al of you have been able to on your current mac: 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, X Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3. That's a lot of OS to get out of one machine. And I only upgrade Ram from 128 to 320 once and bought an external FW drive and FW PC card. I also bought a PC Wirless card since AirPort doens't work in this machine either. There are ways to extend your mac. Oh and I had the Logic Board replaced in Jan 2002 - it dies 5 minutes after installing 10.1

Well, I think if you could wait 6 years, you should be able to wait a little more, yes. But in my opinion, the difference between the last PPC PowerBooks and the first intel PowerBooks will be SO much smaller than the difference between your G3 PowerBook and the last PPC PowerBooks that this move doesn't seem sane... The next PowerBook revision will probably be a lot of good stuff for a lot of years to come... I'd take a closer look when they actually come out.

fryke said:
I wonder if Apple's planning on giving those machines FrontRow...
No way. Front Row is not an app for the professionals. Just like AppleWorks was/is bundled with the iMacs and iBooks and NOT bundled with the PowerBooks and Power Macs.

One thing I don't get is how people manage to use PowerBooks for heavy work. A single G4 processor is very weak in my comparision. It'd compare it to a PC pro user using a Celeron (ha!).

I've got a dual processor G5 (1.8Ghz) and it's very good. The beauty of my PowerMac is it can last me years by buying faster new hard drives (already got a 10,000 RPM in here), and buying better graphics cards (may be my next upgrade). I already run on average 20-25 programs at once.

Laptops are a money pit in my opinion. You can't really upgrade much of it (RAM, hard drive), but I guess if you really need the mobility then you have to buy one. But I would never consider buying a PowerBook until they are dual cores, and hopefully they will be once they get Intel CPUs. Even then I don't plan on buying a new computer until 2007 or 2008 once the PowerMacs are x86 and dual dual-cores.

kainjow said:
I already run on average 20-25 programs at once.

For what reason must u use 25apps at once? What is your profession?
Im a graphic designer and i never use more than 5-6 apps (and doing heavy work, Quark,Pshop,Illu,Indesign,Acrobat bla bla) at once!
What could u be doing? Im curious!

I keep them open because it's faster, and I'm a software developer so I always need to use these apps here and there.

Back