new PM G5

Kainjow, how much RAM do you have on your Power Mac? I just bought a iMac G5 and I love it, I'm certainly going to wait until the new Intel Dual-Core Power Mac's come out, those are going to be pretty sweet!! No probably waiting until mid-2007 or so.

i'm a pro-user on a power mac g5. but i still want front row, because i use this computer for watching dvd's and listerning to music (i have a sofa behind me).

i want front row. it's a pain in t'arse having to get up to change something.

Golfer099 said:
I think I'll wait till next summer to get that Intel PowerBook so I can keep it for another few years.
I would suspect you might be pretty disappointed next Summer, as that's when the first Intel Macs are supposed to make their debut. I highly doubt that the PowerBook will be one of the first Macs to have an Intel processor -- more likely the lower-end Macs, like the mini and iMac.

Of course, this is all speculation, but dead-setting your heart on an Intel-based PowerBook by next summer is dead-setting your heart on speculation alone.

Golfer099 said:
I have run the following OSes - more than probably al of you have been able to on your current mac: 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, X Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3.
In case you're wondering, I got ya beat on the OSs (by a measley 1 OS): I've run every single OS release from 8.6 through 10.4 on my machine, and intend on putting 10.5 on it when it come out. ;) But yeah, most people here are probably not like you and I with the longevity of our machines or experience with such a wide range of Apple OSs.

NarutoSasuke said:
Kainjow, how much RAM do you have on your Power Mac? I just bought a iMac G5 and I love it, I'm certainly going to wait until the new Intel Dual-Core Power Mac's come out, those are going to be pretty sweet!! No probably waiting until mid-2007 or so.
I've got 2GB.

Lt Major Burns said:
i'm a pro-user on a power mac g5. but i still want front row, because i use this computer for watching dvd's and listerning to music (i have a sofa behind me).
And how are you going to control FrontRow on that G5 without an IrDA port? Or a remote control for that matter?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
And how are you going to control FrontRow on that G5 without an IrDA port? Or a remote control for that matter?

Exactly, just so that this is clear:

I TALKED TO A APPLE GENIUS AND SAID ONLY THE NEW iMac's HAVE A IRda PORT. ONLY THE NEW ONES, us older users cannot buy the Apple remote and use it, so Front Row will probably only be for the new iMac G5's.

As far as not having an IrDA port for FrontRow...buy an adapter. There's quite a few USB IrDA adapters out there that'll work with OS X. Belkin makes one as do others. Any with the "KC Technology chipset" should work on OS X 10.1 and above without a need for drivers.

mdnky said:
As far as not having an IrDA port for FrontRow...buy an adapter. There's quite a few USB IrDA adapters out there that'll work with OS X. Belkin makes one as do others. Any with the "KC Technology chipset" should work on OS X 10.1 and above without a need for drivers.

That's certainly possible, but it takes up space on the back when you only have two USB 2.0 ports that can be used. It's all according to personal preference and how bad you want an IRda Apple Remote with your older iMac. I just wanted to make clear that the Apple Remote doesn't work with older iMac's, thanks for the good suggestion though.

Wanted everyone to check this news out, talking about updates for the new Power Mac's and Power Books, looks like it's official: http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/14/powerbook_powermac/index.html

Or, the actual link coming from AppleInsider is here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1320

Back