New PowerBook.. Still one button?!? Argg!!

my mouse has three buttons. (it's an MS wireless tilt wheel.) As soon as i had got used to exposé being on the middle button - i got so much faster moving around the mac - between programs and windows - just checking how long left on a download - click, and click back. split second. done. and so much more....

it's just stopped working today - for some reason exposé has forgotten my middlemouse button exists. (btw any ideas? i need it back! i've repaired disk permissions twice, and reinstalled the intellipoint drivers. i think it stopped working when i uninstalled usb overdrive. i reinstalled usb overdrive and still doesn't work... :()

only now do i miss it - i kepp pressing it and nothing happens. i feel so much slower - everything takes longer as i have to go the long way round. so, to answer your debate - having more buttons does make you more productive.

Get rid of the Intellipoint software, unless you really need it.

I have an optical Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, and don't use any driver software for it. Middle-click (the wheel button) is Expose, as well as the two thumb buttons on the side of the mouse. Of course, these buttons can only be set to function as Expose buttons without any driver software, but that's fine with me.

I think the fact that USBOverdrive and the Intellipoint drivers are installed could be causing problems -- it's kind of like a compter "conflict of interest". It should be an "either x or y" situation, not both Intellipoint and USBOverdrive.

Try uninstalling both driver packages and see if that helps. Then, if you need functionality included with either the Intellipoint drivers or the USBOverdrive drivers, you can install one or the other and see if Expose still works that way.

Convert said:
I don't think Applw can include a 2 button interface on the Powerbook G4. G5 yes. But, updates on a predecessor machine can't go so far. So, releasing a new G4 Powerbook, that replaces the old Powerbook, isn't fair to those who own the original Powerbook G4, IMO. If they released the G5 Powerbook and it had the 2 buttons, then fine, totally brand new model, fair go.

Uhm... With all due respect, screw fair. It's evolution in the market place. Fair simply isn't a viable argument. Pricepoints change before you get your new computer home from the store. "Fair" would mean that you get a new computer , dvd player, toaster, car, house, phone, camera, etc., every time they release a new model of anything.

I spent a lot of time figuring out what notebook computer I would buy. The main negative for the powerbook was the one button mouse. I finally convinced myself that powerbook would be a good buy, and I'm badly hurting from the one button mouse.

There is this new thing called the internet and my use of a computer isn't limited to applications running mac software installed locally, I use remote computers using different operating systems. Those operating systems have their own user interfaces. I've been using a 3 button mouse for years and decades. The one button mouse sucks.

Is there anyone who builds custom trackpads with 3 buttons to replace the existing one in the powerbook? I'm guessing no. That was another negative against the powerbook, is the lack of upgrade options the powerbook and for macs.

Simplicity through feature reduction sucks. The technical capabilities of the average person have increased dramatically since the 70s. People who are confused by having to deal with more than one mouse button will appear to kids like those grandmothers who need someone to help them change the channel on the radio because they're not skilled with electronics.

Anyway, I'm going to look into one of those wireless trackball's with 4 mouse buttons around it. But, then I have 2 objects to cart around with me. I like to use my powerbook with it resting tilted against my legs, sitting in bed. That's about 90% of it's value for me.

Sidetrack allows for right-clicking and multiple clicking on trackpads up to rev c. DejaMenu is a great way (and free) for menus where you want them and when. The rest of it just people used to doing it one way and wanting it another without even giving it a try.
If the above isn't good enough, get a mouse/trackball. If that's not good enough, don't get an Apple laptop or even an Apple computer. Or get a mini and whatever equipment you want with it.

Viro said:
Under System Preferences->Expose
Not seeing options for mouse control. There's just "Acitve Screen Corners" and "Keyboard" and the Keyboard section doesn't have any mouse options.

Strange. It should be there. Here's what mine looks like.

Attachments

• Picture 2.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
I do it, by going to the Mouse software, and assiging the buttons to F9, F10, F11. But, be sure to change those keys first. So, if you wish to assign F9 to the mouse, change it (in the expose preferences) so Expose doesn't use F9. If you don't do this, when you try and assign F9 to the mouse, it will just carry out the function.

I know there's a work around, but I can't remember it.

Viro said:
Strange. It should be there. Here's what mine looks like.
That defintely isn't there. I'm using a Wacom Intuos2 Tablet and use the mouse it comes with...hmmm.

I've a Logitech MX310, the right button, and each of buttons 3,4,5 and 6 can be configured for various exposé functions. But I don't have the LogiTech software installed, and use USB Overdrive, which has other advantages for me. My experience has been that some manufacturers prevent system options from coming up for no good reason (maybe to keep their own software more predictable - what a concept!)

I figured it out. Looks like Wacom had prevented the system options but I used a Bluetooth mouse I had laying around and activated it and then it showed the options. I then applied them to my Wacom mouse and BOOM....works now. Score.

Oh, because I can't see the options on Viro's pic either...

I have a mouse, 5 buttons, awful software (basically, unreadable).

Is there anyway of getting the options with just one mouse?

A4Tech,

I posted a picture of the Preferences Pane once, it was awful, all the text over lapped... couldn't read anything. Oh, and everytime I plugged the mouse in I had to reconfigure it. I'll post a pic of the PP if you want.

Randman said:
Sidetrack allows for right-clicking and multiple clicking on trackpads up to rev c.

Wow! This seems to work well so far. It seems be the solution.

In addition to being able to right-click, I can set the button to be right-click, so I can left click on the track pad and not have to tap so hard to left-click. I was getting seriously fatigued both with having to use 2 hands all the time and having click so hard on the track pad button.

I only use the onboard trackpad in an emergency, any USB three button mouse works just fine. I bought a SONY and a Saitek ($4 and $8), its small and transportable and if you are displaying anything to anyone else on the laptop, as a lot of us do, then forget the little trackpad.

Steve Jobs is fine "Old man"

i have no idea how i used to have exposé under the middle mouse - i just can't figure it out now

usb overdrive doesn't have the option to use exposé and macos exposé options allows me to use middle mouse (mouse 3), but for somereason still doesn't work.

i'm gonna uninstall everything usboverdrive, intellipoint and start again. disk permissions also

Back