New PowerMac G5's!!!!

garymum4d said:
Notice the pic on the site with the side open is NOT like the one recently released from the new workshop manual!

Yeah, I was going to say that too. I didn't think it was real. Unless they haven't updated all the pics on the website yet, but I would think they would get them right before launch.

Liquid cooling is on the top end model only, but that's sweet anyways :D

Finally. This is turning out to be a decent week after all =)

I would have liked more than 2.5ghz, and I'm not that optimistic as a result that we'll see 3.0ghz this year, considering IBM/Apple's track record so far. Not so happy that the lowest-end G5 is now $2000 - it would have been nicer to see, say, a single-processor 1.6ghz dropped to $1300 or something (the G4s are the same oh-so-overpriced price...)

I noticed that the Dual 1.8 now only has PCI, not PCI-X. Whats the deal there?

So, basically the previous top G5 powermac got the middle powermac and nothing changed, if the watercooling is just for the top end model? Or are these IBMs new processors?

Just noticed the 1.8 also has max 4 GB ram. I was really hoping this time 'round apple wouldnt cripple the "low"-end model

I mean, PCI-X would be nice, but maybe I just don't need (or can't afford) the extra grunt of a dual 2ghz beast.. woe is me :(

This actually means, that a "previous" dual 1.8 is "better" than a current one? More memory. pci-x. they didnt add anything.

Look, now they are liquid cooled!
"Take it up a notch without losing your cool. The top-of-the-line Power Mac G5 with dual 2.5GHz processors squeezes outrageous performance into tight quarters. To cool down those steaming circuits, Apple designed a sophisticated liquid cooling system that takes off the heat without bumping up the noise. Mac OS X dynamically adjusts the flow of the fluid and the speed of the fans based on temperature."

Joshua

I am wondering why they have such a serious cooling prob that they are using liquid cooling solutions on the 2.5ghz model. I was told that cpus that are produced in 90nm should allow the chip to run at higher clocks producing the same temperature. Since the 130nm 2.0ghz model runs fine without water cooling I am a bit confused the 90nm 2.5ghz needs a new cooling system.

So, actually there are just the two processors that are liquid cooled, right? Did the amount of fans decrease in the top end model so it's more quite compared to the other models?
I just read about a loudness comparison with the old dual G4 powermacs which were known to be pretty loud and they said it's half as loud as those..
To me it sounds a bit like the_top_end_model_buyers will be some kind of involuntary beta-testers

Zammy-Sam said:
So, actually there are just the two processors that are liquid cooled, right? Did the amount of fans decrease in the top end model so it's more quite compared to the other models?
I just read about a loudness comparison with the old dual G4 powermacs which were known to be pretty loud and they said it's half as loud as those..
To me it sounds a bit like the_top_end_model_buyers will be some kind of involuntary beta-testers
The fans remain the same, they just spin slower, and will adjust as processors heat up. The flow of the liquid cooling is also controlled.
I don't feel that these people will be beta testers. Liquid cooling has been around for a long time. Not a new technology.

Back