New PowerMacs Mar 23 ?

French site, http://www.macplus.org/magplus/article.php?id_article=5716 , reports that according to their source, 3 new PowerMac G5 models will be released on Tuesday, March 23rd.

Dual 1.8GHz G5, 256MB DDR400, 80GB HD, GeForce 5200 Ultra
Dual 2.2GHz G5, 512MB DDR400, 160GB HD, Radeon 9600
Dual 2.4GHz G5, 512MB DDR400, 160GB HD, Radeon 9600

hmmmm, all duals. I wonder what the prices will be and I definitely hope apple uses the 970FX, 90 nm chips !!!!

Thank God. Finally! Can it be true?

20% speed increase... Not what I was hoping for but I'll take it =)

Sounds realistic. A lot of Apples European business is based in France too so the source could be an apple employee.

macridah said:
French site, http://www.macplus.org/magplus/article.php?id_article=5716 , reports that according to their source, 3 new PowerMac G5 models will be released on Tuesday, March 23rd.

Dual 1.8GHz G5, 256MB DDR400, 80GB HD, GeForce 5200 Ultra
Dual 2.2GHz G5, 512MB DDR400, 160GB HD, Radeon 9600
Dual 2.4GHz G5, 512MB DDR400, 160GB HD, Radeon 9600

hmmmm, all duals. I wonder what the prices will be and I definitely hope apple uses the 970FX, 90 nm chips !!!!

Personally, I think that Apple will hold off until the WWDC, which is held in June; that would be more realistic.

It would be strange for Apple to release upgrades at this time so close to the conference, but you know Apple...

Not much of a speed bump thou :( Hasn't it always been thought that the G5 would hit 3GHz around June/July of this year?

In my opinion, this could be quite feasible. Only would they offer something new at the WWDC. A speedbump would not be enough to have a huge product launch. So, this could be true. Maybe a new form factor (case with more external bays) would be something they would do at WWDC.

They should announce the 3GHz around June but it probably won't ship until September like the 2GHzs did last year.

Captain Code said:
They should announce the 3GHz around June but it probably won't ship until September like the 2GHzs did last year.
i can wait until september!!! ;)

and then the precious will be mine.... all mine! :D

Well not sure about nvidia chipsets, but didn't ATI release a press statement lately saying that they next card they release will use the PCI-express standard? I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm fairly certain that I read it a week or two ago.

If this is true, then we have seen the last ATI card for AGP equipped macs, in the 9800 and 9600 series, until Apple comes out with a machine with the PCI-express standard.

Don't the new PowerMac G5s have PCI-Express? I know they have PCI-X slots, but are PCI-X and PCI-Express two different things or the same thing with two different names?

If Apple _really_ releases 2.4 GHz as the highend at the end of March, I'm quite saddened. My sources still claim that the 2.5 GHz number is indeed true, but either way: Too little, too late. Like others have mentioned, Steve promised us a 'way out' of the Motorola disaster with a processor that would scale better. He also promised a 3 GHz machine a year from the 2 GHz G5. Apple _could_ of course introduce 2.4/2.5 at the end of March and a 3 GHz machine in July already (WWDC is end of June), but Apple should care more and bring out 0.2 GHz increments faster.

Gosh, wouldn't it have been much, much better to release the 2.5 GHz in January at MWSF and the 3.0 GHz at WWDC? Well, maybe Apple _did_ want to do that (like most rumour sites predicted anyway) but couldn't because of IBM not delivering the 970FX on time?

I don't think the problem is with the 970FX being delivered. I have heard rumors and sources say the problem is with the graphics cards, and heat (XServes). They are focusing on getting the XServes out the door before getting the G5 out.
I did hear that the scales would be more along the lines of 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5 for the processor speeds.

Well, my gut feeling is that if Steve said '3GHz in a year', then we'll have 3GHz this year. We all know how Apple likes to surprise us :D

For some reason I'm thinking he's planning to wow everyone by introducing G5 PowerBooks AND 3GHz PowerMacs at the same time. I'm probably wrong, but that would be cool...

Back