New PowerMacs!

Originally posted by kendall
notice how the G4 is split off from everything else? the system could run a 333MHz bus speed but once it hits the controller, it has no impact on the G4.

here is information about the bottleneck.

http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html

in essence, everything with higher bus speeds such as RAM are communicating directly with the controller, not the G4. DDR memory costs more for the PowerMac with absolutely no benefits.

Apple does this because people think, ooooooh! DDR, oooooooooh! faster Macs!

...a Dual Mac > 1GHz with SDRAM? Hmmmmm... Nowhere! You only saw a Dual 1GHz running a single app at a time at barefeats or anywhere for that matter and you decide to spread the word that indeed a DDR Dual is slower than SDRAM, eh?

Excuse me, but under heavy conditions the DDR (including the 1GHz Dual) Macs fare MUCH better than the previous SDRAM models... But hey: What Apple knows and exchanged the SDRAM with DDR? It costs more hah? And how come they keep pushing their prices down?

Browse here:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/architecture.html

And let the people who actually used the new DDR Duals to decide if their Macs are fast or not! As for DDR, in case you CANNOT get it, let me put this way: With this new underlying technology not only the Macs are able to perform MUCH better than the previous SDRAM ones but also lets them scale upwards better... Even on the Wintels, DDR lets them use more busses, more peripherals, more stuff at the same time... If one doesn't understand something, he should check things first THEN decide! And I know for 100% that most people here that iWhine about PowerMacs NEVER used the high-end Duals cause if they actually used them, they should know this:
-NOTHING CAN TOUCH THEM UNDER HEAVY LOAD IN THIS PRICE RANGE OR BELOW ;)

And this comes from a guy who can back things he says IF and WHEN that forces that be around here will let him post a video or two just to clear things out because charts and stuff are nice but Audio & Video rules :D

Slow Duals I read you say? Never truly you used ones I get... ;) At least I did use and always continue to do so because Dark Side has nothing over me :D :D ;)

hahah... the stealth claps :) i couldnt have said it better myself (assumin i knew all this stuff)
thanx hulk. at least i find out and learn more new stuff from u everyday. we need more of U here. and LESS of the others.

i can also start readin articles on sites like bearfeats.com and i can also play smart. but i dont really do that. cause id hate to be bashed by The Hulk . but then again. it seems that the purpose of some ppl around here is just to post threads in order to make a fuss :)

i dont know i just get the feelin that either sum ppl dont belong here. or they just provoke us so that theres a constant flow of posts, meanin more visits.

since im only a CHILD. and since im not very ROCK SOLID . im probably wrong. but i dont think that its bad when i express my opinions:)

So I'm wondering, is this the answer to the ongoing megahertz myth discussion. Any performance results yet?

Originally posted by malexgreen
So I'm wondering, is this the answer to the ongoing megahertz myth discussion. Any performance results yet?

The new Dual 1.42 will not be out for at least a month in quantities so I guess we will have at least 10-15 days before the first tests will start appearing...

Take note, however that when they do STILL people will whine, still will find ways of mess things up for Apple, still will have us arguing here for them :(

But you see, there is no REAL site out there comparing apples to apples:
-Dual G4/1.42 VS P4/3 HT
-With MANY apps at the same time doing their things
-While those apps will be apps that exist on both platforms AND
-are customized for both platforms
-While those apps interact with the hardware

I know 100% that NO internet site will dare such a thing because they don't know how and the worst of all THEY don't care...

However, I would like to see even those super market benchmark scores to appear just because even with them the Mac platform will score better this time ;)

quote: Rob makes a good point about needing faster hardware, but since GC on the G3/500 converts a RAW file to JPEG 4X faster than the P4/3.06GHz, we can also start getting active about demanding better software, or at least using it when available.
(btw GC iz graphic converter)

i know that this doesnt really fit in here. but i just wanted to make a point bout better software on macs or at least better optimized for macs. maybe we could also have those little nice stickers on our macs. sayin : SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR MACS! he he he

this quote comes from this article ...

in essence, everything with higher bus speeds such as RAM are communicating directly with the controller, not the G4. DDR memory costs more for the PowerMac with absolutely no benefits.

Apple does this because people think, ooooooh! DDR, oooooooooh! faster Macs!

Hmmm, thats strange, taking an iMac with 256M of normal SDRAM to 1GB costs $400 more in the Apple store, taking the 1Ghz single proc tower with 256M DDR266 to 1GB costs $300 more. For the 1.25Ghz DP with 256M DDR333 costs $375 to take it to 1GB. Now, where did you learn that $400 is less then both $375 and $300?

Brian

Originally posted by MisterMe
You are just plain wrong. The OS 9 Power Macs are older models left on sale strictly as build to order offerings. Comparable new machines are priced $150 to $200 higher than the old ones:

New Fastest $2699
Old Fastest $2499

New Ultimate $3799
Old Ultimate $3549
On OS 9 PowerMac purchase page:
" $2,499.00

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
2MB L3 cache/processor
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
120GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Mac OS 9 boot supported"

" $3,549.00

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
2MB L3 cache/processor
2GB DDR333 SDRAM
120GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium
Mac OS 9 boot supported"

From non-OS 9-booting page:
"$1,999.00

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache/processor
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA/100
Combo Drive
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
64MB DDR video memory
FireWire 800
56K internal modem
Bluetooth Ready"

The "Fastest" and "Ultimate" ratings only apply to what's on that page. I prefer to compare what you get vs how much you pay, and the new machines are cheaper in this.

Originally posted by btoneill
Hmmm, thats strange, taking an iMac with 256M of normal SDRAM to 1GB costs $400 more in the Apple store, taking the 1Ghz single proc tower with 256M DDR266 to 1GB costs $300 more. For the 1.25Ghz DP with 256M DDR333 costs $375 to take it to 1GB. Now, where did you learn that $400 is less then both $375 and $300?

Brian

The iMac's use SODIMMs (normally used for laptops, etc), which are more expensive than normal DIMMS. Check out Crucial.com's (good source for prices & quality) webpages. PC2700 DDR RAM costs $130 for 1 stick of 512 MB and PC133 SDRAM costs between $83-$105 for 1 stick of 512 MB. PC2100 does slightly better than PC2700 (pricewise).

PC2700:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR+PC2700&Attrib=Package&cat=RAM
PC133:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listMo...+PC133&cat=RAM&package=168-pin+DIMM&submit=Go

Still,PC2700 RAM running at half speed at 167MHz is still faster than 133MHz SDRAM, isn't it? :confused:

Also, DDR is becoming pretty common, isn't it? Seems like it might be a good idea for $20 for Apple to make the machines use memory that is going to be more and more mass produced and lower in price while SDRAM slowly fades away and becomes rare and more expensive...? I don't know, just guessing.

you have to wonder what kind of a profit Apple was making from the 23 inch Cinema Display if they can cut the price on it 43%.

Originally posted by mightyjlr
you have to wonder what kind of a profit Apple was making from the 23 inch Cinema Display if they can cut the price on it 43%.

...what huge stock they have?

or what volume they put on order?

or...

Originally posted by btoneill

Brian

what i was trying to say is DDR memory costs more than PC133 with no benefit. not that any specific PowerMac costs more than another.

512MB DDR is about $50 mo money than 512MB SDRAM at crucial.

what i was trying to say is DDR memory costs more than PC133 with no benefit. not that any specific PowerMac costs more than another.

512MB DDR is about $50 mo money than 512MB SDRAM at crucial.

...I'm gonna fork out some serious money in order to buy a powerful tool for my work and play and I'm going to bother for $50-$100?

Gee! What a HUGE dilema! As for the no benefit part I think that the pros who really maxed out both the SDR-based and the DDR-based Duals know better... That DDR rules!

And if you think that barefeats (or anyone else for that matter) is so fair and square how come and they didn't re-test the systems under heavy load? Quake, photoshop, itunes, et al may NOT show any benefit (or even worst decrease) for DDR while single using them but while you multitask between many apps (and even hardware at the same time) DDR comes on top, easily! ;)

Also, Apple in general dropped their prices some more with these new products regardless what you may like to believe... Isn't that what MANY people here asked for? For even lower prices: So here they are...

A dual 1.25 with 17" amazing flat display, 512MB ram, SuperDrive, Airport extreme, FireWire800, Bluetooth... ONLY $3172... You got to be kidding right? Compare this with any similar offer with Wintels and cry for the Dark Side :D

All I'm going to say is maybe if more people watched Strong Bad, this world would be a better place. Rock on my crapfully crappy friend kendall

I'd say now that they dropped the price of the base powermac i'm going to pick that up with a 17" display.
Here's a question:
What is the point of owning your mac if your gonna bash its features at every turn?
It seems like the mac community is being invaded with propoganda every morning.

you've got an excuse for everything buddy. drink your kool-aid and be happy! :D

...your way of handling things around here! And if your excuse is drinking that kool-aid of yours, quit drinking...

Your organism cannot handle it :D

As for me: don't worry... Worry about your actions around here and THEN be happy :cool: with or without drinks :D

Originally posted by ApeintheShell
I'd say now that they dropped the price of the base powermac i'm going to pick that up with a 17" display.
Here's a question:
What is the point of owning your mac if your gonna bash its features at every turn?
It seems like the mac community is being invaded with propoganda every morning.

...Apple does or will do for its customers SOME people cannot feel peace and happiness because the problems lies inside them ;) and not at Apple's offerings :D

We have a saying here in Greece for such people:
-You are arguing with YOUR clothing

;)

Back