New PowerMacs!

Some days ago I saw the offering for a Giove PC (a well esteemed brand here in Italy, been around for years):

P4 3.06 HT
533 Mhz bus with 512 MB of 333 Mhz DDR
120 GB HD (up to four inside)
Pioneer A04 DVD-R 4x, DVD-RW 2x ecc (SuperDrive)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
2 x Firewire 400
2 x USB 2.0
4 x USB 1.0
56K FaxModem
Logitech MX 700 Cordless Optical Mouse
Logitech Cordless Keyboard
Windows XP Home (but that's not the point)

PRICE 2'999.90 euros before VAT

Today I went on the online Italian AppleStore, took the PowerMac 1.42 DP, put a Rad9700 on it, and got

PRICE 3'682,80 euros before VAT

So, for the same features (more or less, but I'll give you the bluetooth connectivity for USB 2.0 and Airport Extreme for the Audigy2) you STILL have to pay a 23% premium price for owning a Mac.

All this, mainly because we live in Europe, where Apple has no interest whatsoever in keeping a decent market share (ever heard the term cash-cow? Here we are: moo-mooo!).

-------------

iBook (800 Mhz CPU, 384 MB RAM)
PowerMac G3 beige (333 Mhz CPU, 384 MB RAM)
Macintosh LC III+ (33 Mhz CPU, 36 MB RAM)
Macintosh SE (8 Mhz CPU, 4 MB RAM)

Finally, CPUs have surpassed RAM!

Originally posted by dracolich
So, for the same features (more or less, but I'll give you the bluetooth connectivity for USB 2.0 and Airport Extreme for the Audigy2) you STILL have to pay a 23% premium price for owning a Mac.

All this, mainly because we live in Europe, where Apple has no interest whatsoever in keeping a decent market share (ever heard the term cash-cow? Here we are: moo-mooo!).

I wonder... ever hear the term import tariff? How about cost of distribution? You pay a premium because it costs more for Apple (a U.S. company) to do business in Europe. Whereas that PC can be cobbled togeher from non-commodity parts.

I wonder... ever hear the term import tariff? How about cost of distribution? You pay a premium because it costs more for Apple (a U.S. company) to do business in Europe. Whereas that PC can be cobbled togeher from non-commodity parts.

Parts that have to be imported and distributed, too. (AMD has a factory in Germany, but I've never heard Intel has a production facility in the UE. If you look at the premium components, all of them are imported.) And last time I looked, PowerMacs were the last Macs assembled in Ireland (an UE country).

Anyway, I think Apple more than covers its supposedly higher costs with its no-frills policy: no ads in magazines, no ads on the television, no Apple Official Stores, centralized technical maintenance (if something breaks, you have to ship it to Holland - time required for servicing a monitor: 2 months), centralized marketing (all you can see are bad transations of US pamphlets, with no localization: I mean, they promoted Office X as on par with Office XP, even if Office X has NO Italian localization and its Italian dictionary was buggy and unusable until january 2003).

.... I mean, they promoted Office X as on par with Office XP, even if Office X has NO Italian localization and its Italian dictionary was buggy and unusable until january 2003).
Office X is a Microsoft product. That means that the responsibility for Office X lies solely with Microsoft and none with Apple.

MOO MOOOOOOO, we are moo-ing here in Greece too... Apple were are you? Here in Greece we pay at least $300 more for every new Mac sold here with ONLY basic support for our mother language...

As for Office X for Mac supporting our language... Not even for JUST typing greek text without applying a GR (crap)Update which we can have ONLY if we bought our Macs from Greece!!! :mad:

The greek support here is nowhere to be found and with the additional cost (which is a lot more than any other European country) the greek Mac market is zombiefied (living dead) :(

MOOOO MOOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOO

Originally posted by MisterMe
Office X is a Microsoft product. That means that the responsibility for Office X lies solely with Microsoft and none with Apple.

M$ here in Greece throws the ball to the Apple company here (Rainbow Computers) and guess what?

The Apple company here is throwing the ball to M$...

If only those companies played their supposed roles as good as they are playing tennis :rolleyes:

Here in Greece the Mac market would be at a much better position than the one currently is: Living Dead :mad:

Some days ago I saw the offering for a Giove PC (a well esteemed brand here in Italy, been around for years):

P4 3.06 HT
533 Mhz bus with 512 MB of 333 Mhz DDR
120 GB HD (up to four inside)
Pioneer A04 DVD-R 4x, DVD-RW 2x ecc (SuperDrive)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
2 x Firewire 400
2 x USB 2.0
4 x USB 1.0
56K FaxModem
Logitech MX 700 Cordless Optical Mouse
Logitech Cordless Keyboard
Windows XP Home (but that's not the point)

PRICE 2'999.90 euros before VAT

Today I went on the online Italian AppleStore, took the PowerMac 1.42 DP, put a Rad9700 on it, and got

PRICE 3'682,80 euros before VAT

After a second reading I thought I would add this to the equation of Giove PC versus Dual Mac:
-No FireWire800
-No one-move-only-to-open-the-box
-No 64bit PCIs
-No dual CPUs (I would chose ANY day an Athlon MP 2200 over this punny 3GHz HT beast)
-No ADC/DVI combo (hey I love Apple's way of handling displays ;) )
-No Windows XP Pro (or should I say OS X :D )
-No 10/100/1000 network
-No similar apps to iLife
-No other apps similar to the rest of the iApps
-No similar tools to OS X developers tools

And also, not taking in account the general quality of the Giove PC system, one should compare a Mac to an IBM or any other similar PC...

Just food for thought and not anything else ;) Take care! :D

The point was that Apple Mktg people here didn't even think to (or weren't allowed to) change the Office X part of the promotional leaflet: I know it is all Microsoft responsability.

Originally posted by hulkaros
...your way of handling things around here! And if your excuse is drinking that kool-aid of yours, quit drinking...

Your organism cannot handle it :D

As for me: don't worry... Worry about your actions around here and THEN be happy :cool: with or without drinks :D

congrats hulkaros, youre the basis of a new Next Generation Apple User Profiles (iProfiles)

http://www.pezagency.com/apple/profiles.html

youre an iHole! :D i dont think i need to define that for you do i? :rolleyes:

next time i see MacLuv, hopefully we can get the profiles updated and your section added.

keep up the good work my iHole friend!

and u kendall .are a hardcore WINDOWS XP ROCK SOLID EDiTION USer hahahaaahah that has no experience or any good points to backup his irrational provoking ideas :)

congrats my frined. UR VERY ROCK SOLID... hahahahhaah... next time i see Bill Gates ill tell him to buy u for any XP add :) im sure that ur ROCK SOLID IDEAS is just what MS needs. and just what we dont need around here.. hint hint..

PC Mag in its review of the Dual 1.25 mHz Power Mac suggested that it compared favorably in their application testing to a 3 gHz Pentium system, except when they tested Photoshop. . .

And of course Mac Photoshop blew the peecee away.

I can't imagine that the dual 1.42s compare unfavorably to a 2+ or 3 gHz Pentium 4 machine.

Especially with our favorite operating system. :)

BTW, they didn't mention anything about excessive noise, PROBABLY BECAUSE PC users are used to it.

Originally posted by stealth
and u kendall .are a hardcore WINDOWS XP ROCK SOLID EDiTION USer hahahaaahah that has no experience or any good points to backup his irrational provoking ideas :)

congrats my frined. UR VERY ROCK SOLID... hahahahhaah... next time i see Bill Gates ill tell him to buy u for any XP add :) im sure that ur ROCK SOLID IDEAS is just what MS needs. and just what we dont need around here.. hint hint..

was i addressing you? are you just some little chump that slides in on someone elses coat tails getting into conversations you dont belong? do you want to be an iHole to? i think theres an age limit. maybe you could be an iHole Jr? iHole Jr and iHole Sr. :D or maybe the iHole brothers from greece?

what we dont need around here is little intolerant iHoles like yourself that are deeply prejudice against peoples whos opinions and ideas differ from your own. your intolerance of others really makes belonging to a mac community with other people like you embarrasing. instead of learning from people and their experiences you put them down. maybe one day you'll grow up but until then, you'll always be little iHole Jr to me. :D

Originally posted by kendall
congrats hulkaros, youre the basis of a new Next Generation Apple User Profiles (iProfiles)

http://www.pezagency.com/apple/profiles.html

youre an iHole! :D i dont think i need to define that for you do i? :rolleyes:

next time i see MacLuv, hopefully we can get the profiles updated and your section added.

keep up the good work my iHole friend!

Keep up the good work iSith or should I say iSith Lord?

Because if there is ANY word to describe someone who is awful without reasons, you simply raise the bar...

iSith? Nope... iSith Lord? 100%...

iXP Pro? Nope... iXP Rock Solid Edition? 100%

And as Gandalf the Gray said to Saruman the White: "When did you abandon wisdom for madness?" or something along these lines...

And I'm sure 100% Kendal that you aren't Gandalf the Gray... Guess who you really are! :rolleyes:

Because "friend" so far I'm providing arguments versus your provocations with drinks and holes... But, I guess you are full of them and you think that everyone is like you now, isn't it?

Oh, and stop arguing with your clothing :D

Originally posted by kendall
what we dont need around here is little intolerant iHoles like yourself that are deeply prejudice against peoples whos opinions and ideas differ from your own. your intolerance of others really makes belonging to a mac community with other people like you embarrasing. instead of learning from people and their experiences you put them down. maybe one day you'll grow up but until then, you'll always be little iHole Jr to me. :D

Were you talking infront of a mirror when you were writing this or you were simply replying back at yourself as "a note to self"? :D

hahahhah
kendall u can call me what ever u want. do u think i care?
the fact is that ur a XP ROCK SOLID PERSON :)
i dont think its wrong expressing my opinions in a COMMUNITY!!!
ur experiences hardly interest me.since ur experience have made u think that XP ARE ROCK SOLID. and as we all can see, u judge macs by the very slightest experience. u just opened appleworks 2 times and u found it crap:)

i do learn from ppls experiences.from ppl like the HULK . or from ppl like fryke.im always glad 2 read their posts. whereas ur posts are always NEGATIVE concerning apple products . and THAT is what we dont need in a mac community :)

i may be young. but i know not 2 judge somethin from first impressions <--- that is why i dont consider XP ROCK SOLID ... ahhahahahha

In Germany there is a saying: "Der Klügere gibt nach" i.e. the smarter one yields.

It is getting a bit out of hand ... could we all moderate our tones? And maybe talk about the PowerMacs ...

BTW I just noticed that now the Max storage is 4 180 GB drives instead of 4 120 GB drives. That's a lot of space...

yeah . and there are no more scsi disks available AT ALL . :)
but 180 GB ? * 4 ? wow thats a lot of space :) he he he !
aaa. and that 23inch display. its sooo WOW :)

Thanks Stealth :)

The PowerMacs are now dangerously close to the X-Serve:
The 1U (1.75-inch) Xserve comes with one or two 1GHz G4 processors, 2MB of dedicated L3 cache, up to 2GB of DDR SDRAM. Plus four drive bays holding up to 480GB of internal disk space using hot-plug Apple Drive Modules, dual Gigabit Ethernet, and the complete suite of robust, standards-based network services in Mac OS X Server.
[edited a bit]

I think the X-Serve is the next in line for an update. It will probably get the same range of processors, leaving the dual 1 GHz at the bottom and going the whole way up to the dual 1.42 at the top. Could Apple make them quads?

Back