New PowerMacs!

i dont think any1 can really predict the next update. after the last keynote. there were SO many rumors about new Displays and New iMac updates. and hardly any powermac rumours.
in general all rumours were very different...

and apple surprised us again with these updates.i thnk :p

but quad macs.. hmmm interesting:):):)

Public Warning to Stealth, Hulkaros and Kendall (yes you too)

Stop with the name calling and personal attacks or the thread gets closed. Treat each other nicely now :p

my name is stealth. not Stealth :p very important mistake over there :) and i wasnt attackin any1. if i was. it would be very clear :)

stealth: Jason was quite clear about it, I think.

Please keep topics on track, all of us (yes, I'm including myself...).

Originally posted by fryke
stealth: Jason was quite clear about it, I think.

Please keep topics on track, all of us (yes, I'm including myself...).

i know he was bein clear. i was just makin a dumb comment bout my name so that the atmosphere becums a litle more positive;)

as for keepin topics on track. sumtimez its a bit difficult. even if there are no arguments. they may shift off to another subject. i dont think thats a problem:)

the new Power Mac G4 desktop system with the dual 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 processor configuration hits speeds of 21 gigaflops
How exactly do they calculate those ratings (benchmark or theory)? I mean with the MHz myth and all ... what does it mean to say a computer has a performance of up to 21 gigaflops? :confused:

Is this an accurate figure of the overall performance of a computer?

isnt Gigaflops how many calculations it can do per second? or somethin like that?

i really dont know much about this. maybe someone else can tell us:p

From Apple.com
What makes a supercomputer “super” is its ability to execute at least one billion floating-point operations per second, a staggering measure of speed known as a “gigaflop.”

What I don't know is whether this is a good indication of the overall perfomance, or only limited to very specific tasks. Moreover I would like to know whether this figure is theoretic or actually obtained through any kind of benchmark.

(I wonder how that $ 400,- Dull would perform... :p)

Originally posted by stealth
isnt Gigaflops how many calculations it can do per second? or somethin like that?

i really dont know much about this. maybe someone else can tell us:p

A megaflop is one million floating point operations per second. This has no meaning if you do not describe the floating point precision.

They are more precise benchmarks, like Drystone and Wetstone, with identification of the exact standard with a year. This qualifies how well the processor computes (fixed precision or floating). And of course the only real benchmark, is runing an application !

Originally posted by stealth
depends on how well the app is optimized with ur OS . right?

No.

I explain: I shall use only existing applications, therefore if the optimization is bad or good is not my point. My point is how fast can I realize what I want to realize.

If the application is well written and the CPU is slow it is the same for me as a not so optimized application on a faster CPU.

Originally posted by Jason
Public Warning to Stealth, Hulkaros and Kendall (yes you too)

Stop with the name calling and personal attacks or the thread gets closed. Treat each other nicely now :p

AND the Mac community in general, too ;)

Because it seems some people around here don't even care about the "Mac" part and instead of arguing they JUST acting funny...

Personally, I wasn't attacking... Instead I was DEFENDING myself AND the Mac people around here in general from sneaky posts ;)

:D

Ok, lets treat each other AND the Mac community nicely + with RESPECT :rolleyes:

there we go hulk, thats the spirit!

did you know you are about to become a movie star? ;)

Eh? 1.42Ghz is nice...but its no PPC 970!! MUAHAHAHAHAAA! (joking) But when is the PPC970 supposed to come out? I mean, the G4 is great and all, but its still the same 10 year old architechure...it cant really handle DDR Ram. Dont get me wrong tho, the G4 is still damn fast!

Originally posted by Jason
there we go hulk, thats the spirit!

did you know you are about to become a movie star? ;)

Yep! But they insist on writing my name wrong: HULK... Hey, my name is Hulkaros! :D

Anyways, I like Mr.Ang Lee so I'll not smash him and who knows maybe people will like my fake name better ;)

And do I look ok when I throw that tank across the desert on the trailer? I told them to throw it up to the stars but they insisted not to do so because then they should rename the movie Star Wars Attack of the Hulk :D

Originally posted by Stridder44
Eh? 1.42Ghz is nice...but its no PPC 970!! MUAHAHAHAHAAA! (joking) But when is the PPC970 supposed to come out? I mean, the G4 is great and all, but its still the same 10 year old architechure...it cant really handle DDR Ram. Dont get me wrong tho, the G4 is still damn fast!

We don't have any real data on 970 coming to Macs (and if so, when) and also don't count out Motorola's offerings! ;)

And who knows? Maybe even AMD's CPUs could be alternatives :rolleyes:

They are more precise benchmarks, like Drystone and Wetstone, with identification of the exact standard with a year. This qualifies how well the processor computes (fixed precision or floating).

Do I understand you correctly that this would only check the performance of the processor? Or does it measure the performance of the entire HW architecture (including RAM, busses, cache, etc.)?
Does this imply that there actually is a way to objectively compare performances of different architectures (ruling out subjective statements like "it seems snappier" and "OS X is better than XP")?

Back